coaster fun knex

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dabubs

Dabubs

Where is the love?

• 186 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

My new unnamed coaster. It is a VV B&M Looper. I have the drop built and am working on the loop.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Now I'm not expert on slim-track, so you should wait for other people to reply...but to me the shaping looks pretty good (for slim track). All you need to do is support it a little more. Especially in this picture:

Posted Image

One thing that helps is building the support structure closer to the track, so you can make better connections to the track.

#3 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

As steel said, you supports are weak, far from the track and you do not have that many. How much micro knex do you have? If you have a lot I would suggest building the whole structure out of micro knex. It looks so much better IMO cause the regular knex is so large in comparasion, the track looks odd.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

The shaping looks really good but you need to support it a hell of a lot more.

Take a look at this picture of Stig's BPM.
Posted Image

VV coasters are very hard to work with. Since they are so flimsy you have to support them A LOT! You also need more track to support connections.
I'm looking forward to the loop. Good luck.

#5 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:41 AM

Cool. A new vv'er.

Your shaping is really good. But your track has big weak spots.
I recommend connecting your track to a long rod, it will make your track stronger.

Posted Image

You also need to build something to keep your lift straight, or the cars will get stuck on it.

However, this looks like a very unique B&M coaster. Good job.

#6 Dabubs

Dabubs

Where is the love?

• 186 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

OK, thanks! I'll get to work on it as soon as I can
This is what I have to work with, but there's more in the basement if I need them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Dabubs

Dabubs

Where is the love?

• 186 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Arggh!! Double Post!

The reinforced supports:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Loop:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Start of Cobra Roll:
Posted Image

BTW, any name suggestions?

#8 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

The loop doesn't look very good. It looks like most if it is to one side. Could we have some more pictures from different angles of the loop? It would really help. Good job supporting the lift more.

#9 Dabubs

Dabubs

Where is the love?

• 186 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

I'll get the pictures up by tonight. (Hopefully) You're right about the loop, as I just looked at it from a different angle. It's not shaped very well. But thanks about the lift.
<Update>
The new loop:
Posted Image
Posted Image
I tried to support it better with better shaping. Let me know what you think.

#10 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

The loop still looks a little lumpy.

Try building supports all around it like this:

Posted Image

And it should be more 'tear-drop' shaped.
How are you doing with speed?

#11 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:22 AM

Or try building tube - supports. You could ask Tornado96 for that part, he's really good in that stuff.

#12 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:06 AM

Or try building tube - supports. You could ask Tornado96 for that part, he's really good in that stuff.

He'll be better off with boxes. Tube supports are REALLY hard in micro knex coasters.

The loop is a really good shape but it's tilted. look at a picture of BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT on RCDB. It has a great picture of a loop shape. Unfortuantely I don't have time to give you a link.

you're going pretty well so far. Just get the shaping done and beef up the supports. :)

#13 Dabubs

Dabubs

Where is the love?

• 186 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

He'll be better off with boxes. Tube supports are REALLY hard in micro knex coasters.

The loop is a really good shape but it's tilted. look at a picture of BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT on RCDB. It has a great picture of a loop shape. Unfortuantely I don't have time to give you a link.

you're going pretty well so far. Just get the shaping done and beef up the supports. :)

I see what you mean about the loop tilting. I'll try to fix that by tonight or tomorrow morning.

#14 BGEurope Kid

BGEurope Kid

Architect

• 476 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

One hint to help your loop is to make the supports on one side the same as they are on the other. It will make your loop even. Hope this helps some.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 Dabubs

Dabubs

Where is the love?

• 186 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Thanks ^. I'll try that on my loop. BTW, I added those lift strengtheners that Stig talked about. Pics will be up by tomorrow afternoon.

Finished:
Posted Image

Sorry it took so long, I was away for Christmas and got inspiration for a new project, so that's why it was rushed.