knex rippin rocket roller coaster screamin serpent

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheLostCarrot

TheLostCarrot

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

I read on this site that you need 3 screamin' serpent sets to build a decent coaster so i know that equates to about 260-80 cross ties and 60ft of tubing. My question is this, do you need two lengths of 60ft (120ft) or does it split down to two length's of 30ft(for decent coaster)? For instance I buy 60ft of tubing which then gives me 30ft of track, is that going to be enough? The reason i'm asking this is i'm buying all the parts separately rather than buying 3 actual ssc sets. It's much cheaper that way in the UK

#2 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

I think what you will find is it is all the other parts of the set that you really need. 3D connectors, flexis, granite and green rods, that is what you are going to run out of. It's just that buying SS sets is usually the cheapest way to get a lot of all the things you need. Plus if you look at all the other handy pieces like 45 degree connectors, black clips, half moons etc You will find buying everything separately can be very expnesive, especially if you are paying separate shipping costs.

To answer your question you can always use more tubing. To make a smooth coaster that looks good you need to put tubing on the middle spike of the crossties. That means you need 3X the length of your coaster.

Also, once you get 2 SSs you can often find Rippin Rockets cheaper than SSs. You get everything except the train, motor and chain. Plus the red tubing sometimes looks better. Some of the other big sets like ball factories have a lot of general pieces but they are not the metalic colors in the coaster sets.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#3 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

I'm 99% Sure it is never cheaper to buy seperate parts than buying a complete set. You have to know that a set comes with everything needed to build a coaster. X-ties, tubing, trains, motors, chain.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 TheLostCarrot

TheLostCarrot

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

I know just i already have 7k pieces so building the structure i'm fine and i have a long chain and an mains powered motor. I would buy the ss sets if there were any to buy but theres not and when there is there expensive(UK)