Alton Towers 2011 Visit

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

Its finally arrived... The 2011 season...

Well, what better way to start off the year than with a visit to one of Britain's finest theme parks:

Posted Image

As it was my sixteenth birthday, we decided to go a little further than the hour drive to Thorpe Park. So, my dad, my sister, one of my friends and I packed up and left sharpish after school to spend the night at a youth hostel in the area.

We were in a dormitory with some hikers. I had a cough. I was excited. Everyone was snoring. How much sleep do you reckon I managed to get?

Anyways, we had bought our tickets online, so we got to go in an hour early. Most of the rides were closed at that time, so we took a long walk to the back of the park, where Nemesis was quietly waiting for us.

Posted Image
The towers are spectacular from the park entrance!

Posted Image
Sonic Spinball is probably the only ride that you can see from far off in this place. There are just SO MANY TREES!

Posted Image
We passed Mutiny Bay, a recent addition. We weren't stopping though. We had better things to do!

Posted Image
Our walk took us past Runaway Mine Train, the park's powered coaster. Its impressively themed, and fits nicely with the area.

Posted Image
The track goes right by the old rapid river.

Posted Image
We didn't go on this in the end, but it was nice to see it running for once!

Posted Image
AHA! Now this is more like it! Time for a few rides on this beast before the other rides open!

Posted Image
This coaster makes me want to live in Alton Towers!

Posted Image
Nemesis never ceases to look amazing!

Posted Image
The track passes right over a unique river of Ribena!

Oh wait... its blood.

Posted Image
Next up was Air. It was still testing when we started queuing, but we only had to wait an extra few minutes.

Posted Image
One for the brake geeks. I wouldn't dream of understanding how this works...

Posted Image
The most intense part of the ride. I love how this ride interacts with the path area. It works so well!

Posted Image
Merlin Entertainments are desperate to ensure that the rides don't disturb the local population. Therefore, the higher parts are painted to blend in with the forest surroundings.

Posted Image
After we finished in Forbidden Valley, we headed off to the Dark Forest, via Cable Car!

Posted Image
You get great views of the gardens, and it is so much faster and more relaxing than walking!

Posted Image
Th13teen was a LOT higher than I expected it to be!

Posted Image
You get great views of Rita too!

Posted Image
This was our next stop. Rita was still showing off its Intamin goodness.

Posted Image
It has been rethemed to fit with the new area.

My sister came along because she really wanted to go on Air. However, it turned out that she enjoyed Rita even more!
Th13teen was still testing when we got there, so after two rides on Rita (one at the front), we headed over to X Sector.

Posted Image
You get a weird view of the short lift from the queue line. We got fastrack tickets, so we just waltzed right past the spiralling queue for this beast. It was a great feeling!

Posted Image
Another great view from the queue line.

This was my favourite ride of the day. Even though it was a bit short, it was my first dive coaster, and I loved it!

Posted Image
My friend and I took a ride on Enterprise, while the others watched. I think this one is better than Zodiac. I fits nicely into the area as well.

We decided to head back to the Dark Forest to see if Th13teen was up and running yet. OMG! The queue was open, and we were ready to use our fasttracks.

I was excited...

I couldn't wait...

The atmosphere was great...

Yes! It time to ride Th13te...

Posted Image
Aw dang! It got stuck on this mid section three times! After that, we gave up and left the queue line.

We later found out that Th13teen was experiencing a teething problem and had closed for the day. Aww... at least we got to use the fasttracks for an extra go on Oblivion!

We had lunch at Burger King, after an awful ride on Charlie And The Chocolate Factory: The Ride. It was SO cheesy and just plain boring.

We went back to Forbidden Valley, and I ot some nice shots of the two coasters:

Posted Image
So smooth...

Posted Image
I love this ride!

Posted Image
I almost missed this one!

Posted Image
The station is nicely lit too.

After we rode the two coasters again, we split into two groups. My friend and I stayed in Forbidden Valley, whilst the other two went for a coffee.

Posted Image
We went on my first Huss Top Spin, Ripsaw. It was AWESOME!

Posted Image
Alton Towers's other Huss ride, is Blade. We didn't get the back seat, so it wasn't great. We were sitting next to some girls who though this was the scariest ride EVER!

Towards the end of the day, we walked through the gardens to reach:

Posted Image
Sonic Spinball!

Posted Image
You get some good close-ups of the ride from the queue line. It was our longest queue of the day, but we enjoyed the ride!

The theming hadn't changed much since it was Spinball Whizzer. They had printed some of the characters on the sides of the cars, and there was a statue of Sonic by the entrance. That was it, really...

We had a few more rides on Oblivion, before we headed back to the exit.

Posted Image
Its a nicely themed entrance, but whats that in the background?

Posted Image
OMG! A new Vekoma ride! I just have to ride it!

Posted Image
It's sooooooooo beautiful!

Posted Image
So awesome, so wonderful, so incredible...

Posted Image
so... oh. That doesn't look too safe!

Posted Image
Overall, we had a great time, and I hope to go back soon! (Yeah, I know. I am physically incapable of smiling properly, and I don't look sixteen do I?)

I'm going to Walibi World in the Summer, so I'll post another trip report for that one soon! (Maybe I'll get a reporter tag in the future!)

John 3:16

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

Nice TR. Great park, really loved it when I was there back in 2007. I'll get back there during a UK trip someday. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#3 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

walibi world? in the netherlands? cool!
i go there to in the summer!

nice report!

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#4 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:42 AM

I really liked to see these pictures again, reminds me of the time I was there last summer. It's an amazing park. When are you going to Walibi Holland exactly?

Posted Image

#5 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

^We are in Holland from the 18th to the 25th of July, but I'm not sure exactly what day we are going to the park. All I know is that we are staying at De Eemhof Center Parcs, which is like, 10 minutes from the park.

Thanks for the comments guys! I may also be going back to Thorpe sometime in the Summer, so I may do a TR on that too!

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

OMFG, best park in Briton (well actually never been to Thorpe park but I think I am going this summer).

I am going to AT this summer and hopefully I can ride all the rides this time (because I was too small for most of them last time). I am wondering what time did you get there because when we went last year it was crowded at about 9 or something like that.

Nemesis is cool and I want to ride it, and my friend says it is one of B&M most themed ride. Sorry to hear that you couldn't ride Th13teen but I have too say it is amazing when I went. The underground park is so weird and it is better on back row than front. Sonic spinball looks cool but it was experienced technical difficulties and we couldn't go on it after we queued for 2hours and we were 2 people off from riding it. :(

Glad you had good time!

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#7 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

^^De Eemhof is further away form Walibi than 10 minutes. Right in between De Eemhof and Walibi there's Zeewolde, that's were I live ;)

Posted Image

#8 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

Yeah it's more like 45 minutes by car. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#9 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:14 PM

Meh... I need to get to know the geography of the place... It looked closer on the map.

Still, 45 minutes isn't too bad, and its worth it for GOLIATH!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

And it's just 75 minutes to the Efteling. ;)

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#11 CCI

CCI

Getting Furious in 2015

• 2019 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:53 PM

I'd love to go too a foreign theme park as they look much nicer than the average American theme park. Hopefully when I cross the pond next year I'll have time to visit and maybe meet up with some of the European members.

Great TR by the way.

Posted Image

l El Toro l Fury325 l I305 l Skyrush l RFII l

DEY TUK ER JERBS!!

My RCT2 Projects!

RCT2 Help/Download

#12 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:53 AM

Thanks!

^^My family aren't too big on theme parks for holidays. They prefer seeing the sights. Therefore, I can only convince them to go to Walibi. It's too bad. Efteling looks pretty awesome too!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:18 AM

That's really too bad, because Efteling really has a lot of nature and themed rides, like Alton Tower does.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#14 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

Nice TR! May I ask what the corkscrew track is doing there?

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#15 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

^ They just made it park of the entrance to the park because of its history in the park. I think it looks really nice actually.

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#16 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:34 AM

^I agree. Maybe they could replace them in the future with the equivalent from the late Corkscrew, in honour of its recent departure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

Well, SW7 is coming in 2013, oo it won't be anytime soon.
Alton Towers

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#18 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

Perhaps finally that woodie crossing through the whole valley.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#19 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

^That would be awesome, but I don't expect it since they say it's going to be the only one of its kind. They may mean a woodie through a valley with that though :)

Posted Image

#20 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

^That would be awesome, but I don't expect it since they say it's going to be the only one of its kind. They may mean a woodie through a valley with that though :)

I hope so, it'll be true. The efteling should build more thrills like AT does!