coaster floorless jonny knex tubes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

Well, my mom's moving out her house in about a month, the one I currently build in. I decided to build one more coaster before we but, not to big because I have to be able to take it down in not much time. I was thinking about doing a mini woodie but I just built one. Today I bought A bunch of white snowflakes, Grey rods, Granties, Ladders and Green rods on Ebay.
Yesterday night and today I was messing about with the kne'x and the cars trying to make a Inverted car. I ended up not wanting to do a invert. I wanted to do SOME kind of coaster with kne'x on the cars because I thought it would look cool. I took the Kne'x off of the cars and put it on a differen't way and came up with this

Posted Image

I super glued the knex "seats" to the car. I tired to do it but I got the glue on my finger and almost got my fingers stuck together. The second time I was more careful and I managed to get all 4 of them on. I was worried about how they would look when I pull the knex off. I pulled one off to see what it looks like.

Posted Image

I think that when I'm done with the cars, I will be able to pull off the knex and re-paint the cars. I will use sandpaper to get all off the super glue off first though.

#2 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, don't use super glue on a knex car, it just isn't very smart, because superglue is really hard to get apart

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#3 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hot glue them (ask someone who's done this first though, I don't know if it can melt the car) it will be much easier to get off. And also, B&M Floorless coasters usually have 4 seats across instead of 5, but this isn't really a huge difference so you're fine with the amount you have.

#4 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, don't use super glue on a knex car, it just isn't very smart, because superglue is really hard to get apart

Hot glue them (ask someone who's done this first though, I don't know if it can melt the car) it will be much easier to get off. And also, B&M Floorless coasters usually have 4 seats across instead of 5, but this isn't really a huge difference so you're fine with the amount you have.

I pulled it off very easily. I didn't put that much on so I have to be careful not to drop them or step on them.

I would hot glue them but honestly I had a thing of Super glue next to me and just used that because I thought of the idea so fast. I didn't even think of a Hot glue gun. But yeah, It comes off very easy, not really much of a problem.

#5 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Changed to B&M.
The layout will start off somewhat like this. I will be working most of the day tomorrow on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Eggo

Eggo

Vote for Pedro!

• 1212 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Looks nice, you should do a loop around the lift hill.

Posted Image
|Millennium Force|TTD|El Toro|Bizarro|Maverick|Wildfire|Nitro|

#7 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

Looks good. I really like the creative lay-out.

Posted Image

#8 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

That should be a very good start of a layout. I like it!

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#9 Zem

Zem

Zemmiphobiac

• 483 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

The layout looks good so far. Also on the cars I think you should make them 4 across instead of 5. Also, what are you planning after the immelmann?

#10 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

That drop should be steeper though. Right now, it looks like you will experience any g-forces on that drop.

#11 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped to see your shaping make this layout reality. I do back suck up with this one, it will give you more speed and look a lot cooler. ^_^

Posted Image

#12 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Layout looks great! Can't wait to see how you pull this off!