NL Contest -- Registration Over -- Coasters Due June 1st

no limits nolimits

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: I want/will be participating in this NL contest (choose Yes.)

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

I want/will be participating in this NL contest (choose Yes.)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

The NoLimits section of SSCoasters.net is a bit quite and needs a bit of reinvigorating. Luckily, I just received an interesting transmission:

Upon creating our park in 2010, having a few small attractions built on our big red planet, we here, on Mars, feel that it is time to get a new attraction: a roller coaster.

The board for our park has decided that if enough companies are interested, a competition for the best coaster design for our park, Six Flags Mars, will be created for. We do have a few restrictions however:

• The coaster can be no taller than 150 feet, from the ground to the top of the track.
  • The track length can't be smaller than 3,000 feet, but no bigger than 3,500 feet for fear that our supreme overloard will become annoyed.
  • The coaster is a Hyper, so no inversions, but this doesn't limit your creativity
  • You are allowed to have tunnels, but this is included into the 150 ft height.

We wish you earthlings good luck in designing and creating our new attraction.

Martians

But before this gets underway, it would be good to know just how many people would actually want to join. We would need a minimum of 4 to start. If you are interested, please vote "Yes" in the poll so I know who and how many are going to be competing. Please ignore the "--" poll option.

Early designers, be warned: there are more guidelines to come, so starting to building right away may run the risk of having to redesign.

This contest is not sponsored or endorsed by Six Flags or Six Flags Mars.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

Ah...it seems like the NLCotM contests were such a long time ago. Probably because they were.

#3 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

As it stands, there are only 4 members taking on this challenge. It would be nice to have a bigger amount so that way there's a bit more of a challenge.

A few more guidelines, given by the Martians:

Thank you for accepting our challenge, those of you who did.

We have made the announcement here, on Mars, that we would like to be able to start building this coaster during your "Earth time" of June 1st so our judging can begin and a verdict can be reached by June 5th. However, if there are a few more companies that wish to join between now and May 19th, I advise that you do so soon.

Simply put it:
- You can join between now and May 19th.
- The NL track file, or NLPack, is to be posted on here by June 1st at 11:59:59 EST (Click Here for the Countdown)
- Building can begin, but no one knows what else the Martians may ask of us to do, so be prepared to have to make a change or two.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#4 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

To Cowman and Ghostbuster, thank you for reading directions. As of right now, your entry is considered null and void.

Only 11 days left until registration ends! Be sure to sign up!

#5 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

what is the track file and how do i post it?

#6 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

I wouldn't post anything yet. Not all the details were even revealed yet that you have to include [HINT]. Besides, a separate thread will be created where you can upload the file. If you finished your coaster, you may want to wait a while to turn it in.

#7 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

I want to enter. But are we allowed to go and use newton 2?

Posted Image

#8 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

I think the timing of this contest isn't the best. Most people are finishing up with school and stuff...

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

I want to enter. But are we allowed to go and use newton 2?

Anything you want that you can import into a NL track/package. :D

I think the timing of this contest isn't the best. Most people are finishing up with school and stuff...

I did talk to Gump about starting this, a long time before it was even posted, and I asked if I could start it now and he said it was fine. If there is a problem, it can be postponed.

#10 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

I'm not bothered with it, I'm just stating that the timing for the contest in general isn't the best.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

^ I tried to squeeze it in before Summer Heat started / got too far into it.

Oooh, another message from the Martians!

Dear Coaster Companies,

Our Park, here, on Mars, requests a few special features in the ride We ask for an invigorating lift hill, one that will thrill the riders before they even get to the apex. Also, a good amount of 0G and/or Negative G (-G) would be nice to incorporate. We have also confirmed our area, and realized that the maximum building space for this coaster than can be allowed is an area of 1000ft by 500 ft (rectangular in shape). We also ask that the coaster's colors represent our home planet, Mars, as best as possible.

Also, we ask for a unique feature of the ride. This can be an element (non-inverting), terrain (tunnel), or anything else that you can think of to make this ride the best coaster on our planet, Mars.

We're sorry for the inconvenience and hope that you will be able to meet our needs.

Martians

And there you have it. The final rules for the contest have been revealed. Here is a general list of the requirements necessary to have a chance of winning:

• Maximum height of 150 feet (including sub-subterranean sections)
  • Track length between 3,000 feet to 3,500
  • The initial mode of propulsion must be from lift hill (launches can be added farther on in the layout)
  • Coaster type is a Hyper (no inversions)
  • Invigorating Lift Hill (this includes the drop)
  • At least one (1) section of 0G or Negative G (-G) Lateral are required and can occur anywhere after the lift hill, but must be before the brake run (does not include acceleration G's)
  • Building area is 1000ft by 500 ft (rectangular in shape) for the coaster, but any additional scenery may be incorporated outside or inside this area.
  • Coaster colors should reflect the surface of Mars, or represent Mars in some way.
  • Finally, a unique element to your coaster (theming, element (non-inverting), or anything else you can think of)
  • As for any coaster, the G Forces must stay in the Green to Yellow, as for anything above will actually kill the Martian-riders.

Judging will be based upon this rubric:

Trackwork (shaping and G Forces) - 30.0
Following Rules (breaking a rule results in -2.5 points) - 25.0
Creativity / Ingenuity (Layout, Scenery, etc) - 25.0
Special Element - 20.0

Note: If you do not incorporate scenery, this will not effect your Creativity / Ingenuity score. Adding appropriate scenery will only help you.

Good Luck!

#12 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

may i still enter?
i'm thinking of do my 3th coaster on nl :)

#13 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

^Sure. Anyone can join, until May 19th. Truthfully, the more, the better.

#14 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

I'll try it out, no promises I'll finish anything in time though. Also, I think you mean the 4 Seat per row Hyper type but can you specify which one? Because the one labeled as 'Hyper Coaster' usually includes inversions, though it doesn't have to.

#15 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

Post a nolimits track file with the size where you can build in please that's a lot easyer for me.

Posted Image

#16 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:27 AM

I'll try it out, no promises I'll finish anything in time though. Also, I think you mean the 4 Seat per row Hyper type but can you specify which one? Because the one labeled as 'Hyper Coaster' usually includes inversions, though it doesn't have to.

.... oh, overlooked that. Yes, it is the non-inverting, 4 seat, Hyper. I will make that the default for the track when I post it (v).

Post a nolimits track file with the size where you can build in please that's a lot easyer for me.

I can see if I can get on my friends computer to do that, who has NL on his laptop later today. I'm leaving for a 4 hour bus ride up to Penn State University, so I have time to do so.

#17 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

I have just made the restrictions for myself (in meters, so 304m x 152m) Would you be interested in my copy? To save LaMbChOpZ time?

If not, here's the file anyways: The pink diagonal line is the height limit, and the blue rectangle is the workable area.
http://www.filefacto...bchopz..nltrack

EDIT: Also, what counts as an inversion?
Under 135* is cool, right? Overbank style?

#18 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Am I allowed to have friction wheels of any sort before the lift hill? Not for a launch, but for realism.

#19 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

I have just made the restrictions for myself (in meters, so 304m x 152m) Would you be interested in my copy? To save LaMbChOpZ time?

If not, here's the file anyways: The pink diagonal line is the height limit, and the blue rectangle is the workable area.
NL_Contest_Lambchopz..nltrack - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

EDIT: Also, what counts as an inversion?
Under 135* is cool, right? Overbank style?

That's fine if you submit it now, but I will most likely create a page to upload it by Saturday (since all my activities are mostly over now) for when people do start to finish. I can post your coaster in it once I post the thread for you. As for classifying an "inversion", I consider it any element on a roller coaster where the riders are turned upside down. In this case, 179.99 degrees is pushing it, but A good limitation is if the riders are between 140* is a good limitation. Also, it may just depend on the element. An overbank that's 135 is fine.

Am I allowed to have friction wheels of any sort before the lift hill? Not for a launch, but for realism.

Yes, there are no limitations on that or when you can use them. Any prelift section will count as part of the overall layout total, so you just have to keep that in mind.

As I said before, a separate upload thread will be created for uploading your files. Instructions for how to upload the raw NL/NLPack file will be included for easy access for not only the judges, but you as well.

#20 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Minimoggi meant to upload a template, not his entry. ;) The file appears corrupt, though.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: no limits, nolimits