Intamin Cable Lift

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Anyone care to explain MilliForce's/Skyrush's/I305's lift hill for me? I understand the whole cable car and all, just not how the cables go under the stations and connect back on to the other side of the catch, yet it doesn't lift out of the track from the tension. A diagram may also be helpful. Thanks!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

It's a winch drum, when the drum spins it coils and uncoils the cable at the same time. The cable itself actually goes through the track at the ends and returns alongside the ground.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

It's a winch drum, when the drum spins it coils and uncoils the cable at the same time. The cable itself actually goes through the track at the ends and returns alongside the ground.

Thanks. I realized that looking at Skyrush. However, how does the cable not come out of the track on a coaster like Skyrush where the start is in the station. When the catch gets to the top, the cable would rise up from tension since nothing is holding down the cable from the start of the cable's entrance, wouldn't it? How would they stop that? That's what I still don't get.

Woah. How'd I get the thumbs up on my post? I didn't select it....

Edit: here's a diagram of what I'm confused about:

This:
Posted Image

To this:
Posted Image

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#4 Geartooth

Geartooth

Coasters and Biking

• 491 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

The cable never goes through the station. The cable starts its run up the lift shortly after the transition from the station. The cable is attached to the catch car more toward the front of it. Which the catch car is longer in the back (the part that the train attaches to). That section of catch car travels through a track in the station. So all of this makes the cable further away from guest, making it safer just in case the cable were to break.

Edit here is a crappy diagram.
https://mail-attachm...bhMlCTwhXTDnQhc

I hope this helps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

I made my own:
Posted Image

So basically, make your cable end before the pull in to the lift and then extend the catch car so it can still attach to the train, and see if that solves your problem.

#6 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

The cable never goes through the station. The cable starts its run up the lift shortly after the transition from the station. The cable is attached to the catch car more toward the front of it. Which the catch car is longer in the back (the part that the train attaches to). That section of catch car travels through a track in the station. So all of this makes the cable further away from guest, making it safer just in case the cable were to break.

Edit here is a crappy diagram.
https://mail-attachm...bhMlCTwhXTDnQhc

I hope this helps.

I made my own:
Posted Image

So basically, make your cable end before the pull in to the lift and then extend the catch car so it can still attach to the train, and see if that solves your problem.

Oh wow, thanks! That's extremely helpful! Now, what type of cable-dog so you suggest to use: a section of chain links or the blue and black rotateable joints? I was thinking chain, but it be a bit difficult to get it to not stick. If I use the rotating joints, those need a guide. Might be hard to make with an apex of this shape (tries once, but have another idea in mind).

#7 Geartooth

Geartooth

Coasters and Biking

• 491 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

^No problem, it took me a little time to figure it out at first also.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

More clarification:

There's actually two cables. The first is the obvious one; the lift cable. That's the one that pulls the catch car up the lift. The other cable is the tow cable. That pulls the catch car back down to the station as well as keep the catch car in the track. The lift cable is attached in the very front and the tow cable attaches towards the front of the catch car.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#9 Geartooth

Geartooth

Coasters and Biking

• 491 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

^ I don't think cares if it's two cables, he just wanted the general idea of how it work.
Just because your going into engineering doesn't mean you have to be all technical.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

^^ Thanks. I'm planning on using two cables. It's not going to be a problem setting it up or getting it to work, it'll be tough to get the lines set up just right so one's not too taught or too loose. Already have all the pulleys set up and now I just need to finish the cable dog guides for the crest and make the cable dog longer and I'm set. I just did a test run of it with just fishing line and pulling it and it works beautifully. Intamin sure knows how to be inventive...

^ I don't blame him. The more types of explanations, the better chance I'll understand. Also, repetiton is good for developing brains. :P

I'll get a test video of it by tomorrow to share. It's a sight to see.

EDIT: here's a bit of a tease.

Posted Image

#11 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

The cable never goes through the station. The cable starts its run up the lift shortly after the transition from the station.

Nitpick, the catch car on Expedition GeForce actually goes all the way down into the station.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

The catchcar does, the cable doesn't.

#13 Geartooth

Geartooth

Coasters and Biking

• 491 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

Maxlaam, just like SUCK said the cable never goes through the station, only the catch car does.

LaMbChOpZ, looking good so far. I will be looking forward to see more. I built a cable lift before the only thing I had trouble with was the drum the cable wraps around. The string wanted to walk over to the edge of the drum and wanted to tear it's self apart.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Maxlaam, just like SUCK said the cable never goes through the station, only the catch car does.

LaMbChOpZ, looking good so far. I will be looking forward to see more. I built a cable lift before the only thing I had trouble with was the drum the cable wraps around. The string wanted to walk over to the edge of the drum and wanted to tear it's self apart.

Hmm, I'll be on the lookout for that. The problem I'm having is that when I pull the cable dowb through the lift, it starts pulling itself out of the tracks because there's too much friction on the bottom of it.

#15 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

I think that could be solved if you didn't have the cable running out from the station, but starting at the base of the lift where is starts the incline. You could have the cars be pushed out of the station by a tire, and then the chaindogg could catch on the catch-car, then be pulled up the lift.
Make sense? If not I could explain it another way.

Posted Image

#16 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

What ^ said might fix it, but it'd be much cooler not to do so.

• coasterguy8638 likes this

#17 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

You could make it come in to the station by using my cable guide I used on skywheel, that would keep the catch car from coming out of the track, but you would have to use chain.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#18 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

I think that could be solved if you didn't have the cable running out from the station, but starting at the base of the lift where is starts the incline. You could have the cars be pushed out of the station by a tire, and then the chaindogg could catch on the catch-car, then be pulled up the lift.
Make sense? If not I could explain it another way.

I see, and yes that could work. Right now, the guides for the cable dog are too tight in certain parts so it gets caught on the way down; I'm re-spacing them no and lubricating the insides of the guides so there is no catching.. I do have the pulley at the base of the lift with the car extending into the station. I was debating about it, but I am going to put friction wheels in the station to stabilize the train when it connects to the dog and to help propell it. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm essentially setting myself up for both cases if I need it.

What ^ said might fix it, but it'd be much cooler not to do so.

I agree. I'm trying my best to keep the lift as real as possible. If I have to, I will modify it to work.

You could make it come in to the station by using my cable guide I used on skywheel, that would keep the catch car from coming out of the track, but you would have to use chain.

Thanks, I'll keep that as an option for if this design fails. I did experiment with a chain, just not a chain guide so that will be a good modification.

Still finishing up the lift, then I'll get a test video posted.

#19 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

I always imagine the cable lift from Goliath (Walibi Holland) when someone brings up a cable lift, the catch car doesn't go all the way down into the station on that coaster. The boosterwheels in the station pushes it up the lift where the catch car catches the train.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Nitpick, the catch car on Expedition GeForce actually goes all the way down into the station.

No it doesn't, I already rode it thousands of times.
EDIT: wait, i thought you meant the cable, the catch car does >.>

logo_v1_small.png 36691.png