Citadel: Knex Ball Machine (Update July 23)

knex sorunome tall world record

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowman

Shadowman

Construction Worker

• 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hey guys! So this is my first thread posted. I've started on a new ball machine which will be my last large one for a long time (since I won't have time to build large projects during college). I plan for it to use more pieces than Cataclysm, but use less floor area so that it can be nice and compact.

My main goal for this ball machine is to have everything new. I have several pages of elements sketched out, so I'm excited to build them. :D I also want this ball machine to have a science fiction type theme, and I want lots of circular things on it.

Here's a link to the full construction picture album:
Citadel Knex Ball Machine: Construction - a set on Flickr

I'll be updating this thread at least every week, or as soon as I build enough to post. Thanks for viewing!

Now for the actual construction part. :P I began building the base on January 21. But, before I build further, I need to level the floor so that my pieces don't warp. I've leveled using paper before, but this section of floor isn't a constant slope, so it's quite a challenge haha. The pictures below show what it looked like before the rug was put back.

Posted Image

At its highest point, the paper is 108 sheets tall (can you count them? :) )

Posted Image

Another picture of the floor (the actual ball machine pictures will come soon, I promise).

Posted Image

Just so you can know how unlevel the floor is, here it is before leveling...

Posted Image

...and here it is after leveling:

Posted Image

Now for the machine itself! This is the "floor plan" for the base. I don't want to use heaps of pieces just for the base, so the bottom is cheap. And it looks like a waffle (sort of). But, it will be stronger. This base and the towers after it will only be a template, so lots will be changed. I just need a general tower structure so I can add the first lift (usually I build the lift and then the towers). Here is what the base looked like this morning.

Posted Image

Later in the day, I made it more like a base by adding another layer. I'm almost out of metallic blue rods already!

Posted Image

A closer look:

Posted Image

This is what I'll be like after leveling is done. Doing flips! (Leveling is getting so boring).

Posted Image

That's all for now guys. What I have to do next is finish up leveling the other half of the base. I should have more pictures tomorrow. Thanks for viewing! Suggestions and comments are always welcome. :)

Special thanks to Tornado96 for helping me with uploading these pictures. :P

Edited by Shadowman, 25 July 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#2 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Looking good Kyle! Cant wait for the flooring to begin! :D

#3 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

A new Shadowman ball machine! :D Yay! Base looks great so far, I like the shape, continue!

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#4 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

I never cared about leveling :P
Well, I guess my floor is also leved on top of that.
And will it have a white floor? :D

logo_v1_small.png 36691.png

#5 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

When I have to level anything, I'd rather use beermats. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#6 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Looking very nice so far. After seeing what you've done in the past I looking forward to seeing what you can do now. :D Hope all goes well.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#7 Shadowman

Shadowman

Construction Worker

• 47 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Looking good Kyle! Cant wait for the flooring to begin! :D

Haha thanks! The flooring will be fun. ;)

A new Shadowman ball machine! :D Yay! Base looks great so far, I like the shape, continue!

Thanks man!

I never cared about leveling :P
Well, I guess my floor is also leved on top of that.
And will it have a white floor? :D

Even if your floor was unlevel, you probably wouldn't bother leveling it. :P And yes it will have a floor.

When I have to level anything, I'd rather use beermats. :)

I'd rather use them too, but most areas of the leveling are in intervals of 4 sheets, so much thinner than a beermat. :P

Looking very nice so far. After seeing what you've done in the past I looking forward to seeing what you can do now. :D Hope all goes well.

Thanks!

Update time! Leveling is done, and the base is finished. I've also started on some towers.

Posted Image

Here you can see the method I used for leveling this half of the base.

Posted Image

It's actually pretty high up off of the floor.

Posted Image

Here are the towers.

Posted Image

Stay tuned for next week's update! Hopefully the towers will be done, and maybe I'll be able to begin on the main lift. :)

#8 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

That's cool! Only thing I'm weary about is that the paper stacks might pop out or come loose in some manner.

#9 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I cant believe I'm getting this excited over a blue rod base... haha Looking great so far! Keen to see what lift you have planned!

#10 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Nice update, and yeah, I wouldn't bother about leveling it :P

#11 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

Things are starting to get interesting now :)!

Posted Image

#12 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

wouldn't it be eisier to just get a nice piece of plywood to build on and level that?

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#13 Shadowman

Shadowman

Construction Worker

• 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

That's cool! Only thing I'm weary about is that the paper stacks might pop out or come loose in some manner.

Thanks! The only paper stacks I have to worry about are the ones on the edge near I walk, other then that the ball machine's weight will hold them down.

I cant believe I'm getting this excited over a blue rod base... haha Looking great so far! Keen to see what lift you have planned!

Haha thanks, I've got the lift started. ;)

Nice update, and yeah, I wouldn't bother about leveling it :P

Thanks!

Things are starting to get interesting now :)!

Yes, and things will get more interesting with the first lift. Thanks!

wouldn't it be eisier to just get a nice piece of plywood to build on and level that?

Right now I don't have any access to plywood, so paper is the next best thing. If I ever have to level again, I might try plywood.

It's time for an update! I have lots of the towers built (there will be around 2 more smaller towers), and I've started on the main lift! :D This lift is an elevator lift, which will use two carts to act as each other's counterweight. Below are two versions of cars that I built, and I'm hoping I can use the one on the right since the tracks will be hidden in a tower. Each car carries 4 balls, but if weight gets to be an issue I may have to decrease that to 3 or 2.

Posted Image

Here are more views of the cars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice the gate system, the orange connectors will slide and let the balls out.

Posted Image

Here's a picture of the whole machine. The orangey part is where the elevators will be.

Posted Image

A closer look at the elevator shaft. Only one side is built right now.

Posted Image

An even closer look:

Posted Image

A view of the towers. Does anyone know how to stop my camera from making things look curved? I'm getting annoyed by that. :P

Posted Image

Well, that's all for now! I have a three-day weekend coming up, so hopefully I can build more of the lift. I probably won't finish it though. I'll have to automate it to finish it, so things will get fun. ;)

Cheers! (H)

#14 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

/me got it to see before others :devil:
Well, it's looking awesome!
I'm so looking forward to the complete ball machine :D

#15 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

If you don't want to work on the lift work on the floor. Make it awesome and creative like that other ball machine you canceled. You'll probably need 2 more support towers where there aren't any. This'll be an awesome ball machine.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#16 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

If you don't want to work on the lift work on the floor. Make it awesome and creative like that other ball machine you canceled. You'll probably need 2 more support towers where there aren't any. This'll be an awesome ball machine.

He didnt say he didnt want to work on the lift... he said he wanted to work on the automation of the lift. He also said the towers werent finnished as well. :P

Looking sick Kyle! Still cant figure out how the second ball carrier works but oh well. That Orange tower looks incredible yet really annoying to build haha. how long did it take? Everythings looking really promising so far! cant wait to see the automating!

#17 Shadowman

Shadowman

Construction Worker

• 47 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

/me got it to see before others :devil:
Well, it's looking awesome!
I'm so looking forward to the complete ball machine :D

Thanks!

I want to work on the lift, haha. I have plans for the floor, so that part should be interesting. And yeah, there will be 2 more towers. Thanks!

He didnt say he didnt want to work on the lift... he said he wanted to work on the automation of the lift. He also said the towers werent finnished as well. :P

Looking sick Kyle! Still cant figure out how the second ball carrier works but oh well. That Orange tower looks incredible yet really annoying to build haha. how long did it take? Everythings looking really promising so far! cant wait to see the automating!

Thanks Tornado! The orange tower was a big pain, it took 3 days to build. It was annoying because most pieces were attached one by one instead of just building a section on the ground and attaching that... Oh well, at least it's done. I still don't know exactly how the automating will work. :P

Hey peeps, this week's update is here! Unfortunately, I've been sick, so there hasn't been that much progress. But, there is still enough done to show you guys. :) So right now I have the elevator shafts done, complete with tubing and the top strand of fishing line. Building this drained my energy, and it gave me a fever because I worked too hard one night. Anyway, here are the pictures.

Posted Image

I had to take a chunk out of the base to put a stool there (I'm not tall enough to reach the top). The Lego house won't be there. :P

Posted Image

The bottom of the elevator.

Posted Image

The top. There are two wheels to hold the fishing line.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I plan to have this lift finished before February ends. What I have to do now is the automation and exit/entrance tracks.

Also, now is the time to start thinking of a name for the machine, so if you guys have any ideas, feel free to let me know. Remember that this machine is going to be science fiction/factory themed (not heavily science fiction, just a few strange-looking structures here and there).

Thanks for viewing, and please comment! :)

Edited by Shadowman, 18 February 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#18 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

I like that lift a lot! I hope you can get it it to work good. So far the ball machine looks really good, keep it up!

#19 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

That's cool! Could you take a picture looking down the shaft, I'm finding it difficult to see how it's shaped.

#20 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

HAHA! I see you followed my advice in removing part of the base. ;) That looks amazing man! How many orange clips do you have left? I love how solid the structure looks. Cant wait to see some automation! :D