Dragon Fire

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

So with my winter coaster taken apart, and my urge to build something still lingering. I'm going to do my first ever recreation of Dragon Fire at Canada's wonderland. (I do realized there is a few roller coasters out there, with almost identical layouts.) Dragon Fire - RCDB

I've picked this ride for a few reasons. Dragon Fire was the first roller coaster I've ridden with inversions and I've always kinda wanted to build it. I also want to do something fairly simple and quick (I'd like to have this done around this date next month...If you ask why, that's still a secret!) This ride will also let me play with tube supports, minus the lift which is made up of boxes.

I have the lift hill, and half the station done currently.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm also using a non-k'nex motor for the lift hill. Which easily pulls up my weighted 7 car train. I'll post more pictures/details at a later post.

Posted Image

The footprint of the ride will be approximately 20' long x 4' wide. Therefor i'll be moving it down to my basement where I have a larger space. I hope to have both loops done by next weekend.

Let me know what you guys think so far. Thanks :)

Check me out

Youtube

#2 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Awesome to see another ride by you! :) Its layout looks a lot like Python's, indeed.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#3 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Cool, I can't wait to see the final product as I tryed to do this last spring (I belive that's when it was) and ran out of time.

#4 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Awesome! I remember the old days when you were the master of wooden coasters on youtube. I was so impresed by Bull's eye and Sawdust. I'm so glad you are still building. Didn't know you are from Canada, me too, I think we are a few one on SSC.

Posted Image

#5 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'm glad you're going to stick around to build another coaster.
I love you vets' building styles.

#6 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Funny, Dragon Fire was my first coaster with inversions too. :P
Great to see you still building coasters, especially if it's a recreation!

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#7 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Looks cool keep it up unloved that motor btw dude!!!

#8 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

dang it, i thoug it was a recreaction of drachen fire

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Inversion count: 110
http://www.coastercounter.com/witting

#9 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Neat, there is more Canadian's here then I thought! Thanks for the comments guys.

Loop numba 1 is progressing! I'm slowly figuring out this whole deal with tubes. I also took out the little straight section before the two loops, to me it looks much better without it. First picture is the real loop:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I need advice, should I make it slightly more oval shaped? I will also probably end up changing the loop exit when the second loop starts to take shape. Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks :)

Check me out

Youtube

#10 Geartooth

Geartooth

Coasters and Biking

• 491 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

About the only thing I noticed is that the straight flat section before the first loop is missing.
Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
Posted Image
Also I'm Canadian, I was born in London, but now live in Michigan.

Edited by Geartooth, 13 February 2013 - 09:54 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

I think that the loop looks great and perfect like the real one is too, I loved those top of the loop supports with the granite rods too keep it up dude can we see a test video and does the loop shake at all too?

#12 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

That is absolutely awesome! I'm really liking this new/old building style that it seems like you're getting at with this build.

Posted Image

#13 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

Looking Great! I can understand why you took out the straight section. Wow I didnt realise it was gonna be this big. haha

#14 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

I think the loop is fine. Can't wait for the next loop!

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#15 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

Cool! Only concern I have is the connection between the tube support and base. The A-frame on the loop could easily punch through.

#16 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

The shaping looks awesome.
I would like to see some stronger connections though. Tube to base and tube to track.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

The shaping looks awesome! Is this your first coaster with tubes?

Posted Image

#18 Joost12

Joost12

Knex Freak

• 274 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

The shaping is amazing! I really like this coaster so far <3

-Joost

Posted Image

#19 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Theres a straight spot at he very too of the loop, maybe being a little gray rod to a blue rod on length. I hope you get to finish this coaster, then make a big model using all your parts! BTW, how many parts would you estimate you have?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#20 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

About the only thing I noticed is that the straight flat section before the first loop is missing.
Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
Also I'm Canadian, I was born in London, but now live in Michigan.

Alright, so you made me think twice about the straight section, I ended up adding it back in. See pics below. Also I'm from Kitchener, not very far from London at all ;)

I think that the loop looks great and perfect like the real one is too, I loved those top of the loop supports with the granite rods too keep it up dude can we see a test video and does the loop shake at all too?

I'm glad you like it. The loop didn't shake at all, but I ended up doubling the weight of my trains so I could get a good height on the second loop. Now however the first loop shakes slightly. I will post a video below for you.

That is absolutely awesome! I'm really liking this new/old building style that it seems like you're getting at with this build.

That's awesome, I hope I can maintain that sort of style throughout the ride.

Cool! Only concern I have is the connection between the tube support and base. The A-frame on the loop could easily punch through.

The shaping looks awesome.
I would like to see some stronger connections though. Tube to base and tube to track.

Thanks for the criticism you two on the tube supports. You're completely right and I've been spending the majoring of my time on this ride playing with the tubs so far. The reason I didn't do an A-frame on the loop, as I was going for supports that look exactly like the real ride on the loops. Here is a few pictures of my tube to base and tube to track connections - let me know what you think:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The shaping looks awesome! Is this your first coaster with tubes?

Thanks Helmut and yes this is my first time using tubes.

Theres a straight spot at he very too of the loop, maybe being a little gray rod to a blue rod on length. I hope you get to finish this coaster, then make a big model using all your parts! BTW, how many parts would you estimate you have?

Thanks for pointing that out, I think I got the loops looking good now. I will for sure finish this coaster, don't worry :) I really hope after this I can make a big model, but it all depends if I can get a space to build it in. I probably have about 150-200k pieces. (roughly half of Gump's collection, since I'm sure everyone knows how much he has.)

Here's the main update! I have completed the second loop, added back the straight section before the loops, as I have decided to make this as close to the real ride as possible. I modified the main drop slightly, to make it look more like the real ride as well. I've also finished off the base blue rod box supports and built the second loop. I'm starting to like how the ride looks as of now. I still need to perfect my tubes though.

Pictures:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is also a few pictures of the motor I'm using as well. I have it mounted in a K'nex box;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally here is a quick test video.

Posted Image

Let me know if anything else should be changed or fixed. I hope to start the turn after the loops later today. Thanks for all the comments so far :)

Check me out

Youtube