CP Summer Job? Working on TTD!!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Hey guys! Long time no SSC eh? I'm looking into getting a summer job at Cedar Point. I was wondering if any of you have gone through their summer program before? It sounds REALLY cool, and I would love to try it out! But I'd like to hear from someone who has already done it, if any of you have? Also, before I even start the application they ask for my social security number...not sure what to think about that.

https://www.cedarpoi...obs/summer-jobs

Thanks guys!!!
-CAC

Edited by Cardsandcoasters, 05 March 2014 - 05:39 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#2 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'm guessing they want to do a credit/background check before they consider you if the SS number.

#3 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

I know that it's very up and down at Kings Island. Some of my friends enjoy it and go back every summer, then some others hated it in went one-and-done. I've heard you work about 60 hours a week or more, which is good or bad depending on how you feel about that.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#4 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Okay great, thanks guys! Yeah if I'm a ride operator I'm more than happy with 60 hours a week :).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#5 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Brandon and I may go to CP this summer and it would be really cool to see you there!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#6 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

^ I'm most likely going for Coaster Mania. GoPro POV's, Here I come!

What ride would you prefer to work at? I've seen people have a great time at Gatekeeper, and Mean Streak. Not much for the Intamin rides though...

EDIT: When I went last year, right before I got on Mean Streak it started storming really bad, so my group and a few others got to stay in the station and mess around with the employees. They had a shocking pen and would go around shocking everyone XD

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#7 ThisIsGabe

ThisIsGabe

Electrical Engineer

• 177 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

As someone who has already done a season with CP (and is waiting to hear back about a second) I'd say give it a try!
It's a job that will take up a lot of time, but you'll make great friends with people from both the US and internationally (I made friends with people from China, Jamaica, Russia and Poland).
The hours that you work will depend based on your ride, as well as to some extent the hours that you want. I will tell you that if you work an early entry ride, you're probably going to be up before most of the other employees ;) (my roommate worked corkscrew, I was always leaving while he was still asleep)
Housing is okay, I stayed in Cedars and had a blast, it's cheap (something like 5 bucks a day) and has wifi, microwaves and laundry (card operated). Your employee ID gets you free parking and entry into all CF parks, something I took advantage of - I got 3 trips to KI, and over 200 coaster rides in the season.

What ride would you prefer to work at? I've seen people have a great time at Gatekeeper, and Mean Streak. Not much for the Intamin rides though...

I spent the vast majority of my season on Maverick. I personally had a great time, but if you're familiar with the 2013 season, Maverick had a slight reliability issue. We've had angry guests, but you have to just learn to try take it in stride. If/when your ride does go down, there's always someone to help you out.

You'll see a wide range of people, occasionally you'll start to notice "regulars", they're usually pretty swell. Coaster clubs and ERT are a unique time, because you get a bunch of people who are really enthusiastic about your coaster.
Weather varies a lot. You can have 100 degree days, and then you can have the weather I had my first week where it went down to 40 (bring a few pairs of pants). It will rain from time to time (buy a windbreaker and rain suit, so worth the 50 bucks).

Remember, you will work a LOT of hours. However, you're going to be living on/near a huge amusement park. Aside from messing around on the computer and going to local attractions, there isn't a whole lot to do besides work and ride, so the ton of hours isn't as terrible. I got around 650 hours in just 3 months.

You'll leave with a lot of memories, a lot of funny stories (people watching at theme parks is a hoot), and several good friends.

they ask for my social security number...not sure what to think about that.

They use it as an identifier, I believe. It may also be to make sure that an international worker dosen't fill out that application (internationals fill out a separate one). As far as I know, Cedar Point hasn't stolen my identity :)

GoPro POV's, Here I come!

As someone who has hit the lift stop multiple times for GoPros, as well as picked the remains of countless iPhones, Sunglasses and GoPros out of low zones...
http://www.edugeek.n...ng-you-meme.gif
Seriously, Cedar Point already has filmed the ride with a much better camera, you've got a fairly good chance of dropping it, and it IS illegal.
/rant

As a minor heads up, apparently HR is having some technical issues with their processing, nothing to worry about, just a bit of a delay in hiring people.

#8 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

As someone who has hit the lift stop multiple times for GoPros, as well as picked the remains of countless iPhones, Sunglasses and GoPros out of low zones...
Posted Image
Seriously, Cedar Point already has filmed the ride with a much better camera, you've got a fairly good chance of dropping it, and it IS illegal.
/rant

Haha, don't worry, I would only film the rides on ERT's with the park's permission. I would be using the chest mount, so the camera wouldn't be going anywhere. I won't film anything without the park's Permission :)
And plus I most likely wouldn't upload it YouTube. I would just show my friends and stuff. :P

^ Sounds like someone you should really listen to about the job. :)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#9 ThisIsGabe

ThisIsGabe

Electrical Engineer

• 177 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Haha, don't worry, I would only film the rides on ERT's with the park's permission. I would be using the chest mount, so the camera wouldn't be going anywhere. I won't film anything without the park's Permission :)
And plus I most likely wouldn't upload it YouTube. I would just show my friends and stuff. :P

Haha at least you seem to know what you're doing :)

#10 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:12 AM

Hey guys thank you all so much for your comments, especially you ThisIsGabe! I really appreciate them. I sent in my application yesterday, and I really hope I get it :D.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#11 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

I hope you do as well, so Brandon and I can see you when we go in June!

Best of luck!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#12 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

^YES that would be awesome!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#13 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

^YES that would be awesome!!

Do you think you'll be at CoasterMania if you get the job? I will be going then.
Best of luck, man!

Posted Image

#14 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

I have no idea, I mean I'm assuming I'll be working it if I get the job! I said I can start work on June 1 but I have to leave August 17th. I'm sure they'd have me working by June 6th :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#15 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

But your location says you live in Seattle. Will you be moving to Sandusky for the time being?

Zach, do you know the days of CoasterMania? Brandon and I will be going about June 26th to July 4th.

It would be neat to see both of you! (thumbsup) (eek)

#16 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Looks like it's Friday June 6. https://www.cedarpoi...n/coastermania-

Yeah! I'd stay in CP's employee apartments for 2-3 months.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#17 ThisIsGabe

ThisIsGabe

Electrical Engineer

• 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Protip, if you aren't already, become a member of a coaster club! GOCC (Greater Ohio Coaster Club) is mine, and it would rock because I would notice an event setting up on the way out of work, and get free food/ERT :)

If you check back on your application in a few days, (it may take a bit for someone to review you), you can usually guess the area of the park you'll be in based on the person who reviews your application.
I got reviewed by Deborah, and now I'm a sup in area 1 :)

Cedar Point Ride Ops
2013 - Maverick
2014 - Cedar Downs and Cadillac Cars Supervisor

I'm building a thing! http://www.sscoaster...m-launch-16194/

#18 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Just had my second interview, I got the job!!!!!! I'll be working on Top Thrill Dragster starting June 1, and until Sept 1 :D!!!!! Y'all better come visit me!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#19 Geartooth

Geartooth

Coasters and Biking

• 491 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Congrats! I hope to make it down there this summer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Now only if I was going to cedar point on my june theme park trip instead of SFGA, but its all set in stone already :(