Thunder Final Video (Crystal Beach Cyclone Sort of)

harry g. traver

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

This is looking amazing man, you surely aren't leaving this outside in Scotland are you, the last time i seen it sunny was months ago hahaha :)

Thanks. :D

Is that, like, a quadruple down inside the lift? I'm totally okay with this layout - it's booster-less, and best of all, complete!

Yes. I guess it is. I know kinda what the real thing did and I thought it would be a fun thing to put in. That and the trick-track. I've always wanted to build one of those. And yes, boosterless and complete too. :D Thanks.

It still has that back breaking wooden style to it and therefore it's still awesome! Looking forward to seeing a video of this thing running :)

Thank you. And here it is.

I've managed to complete this slightly shortened version of the Cyclone. The weather isn't so great just now and it was very windy so I could only manage a test run today. I'll try and get some kind of video done soon when the weather permits. Then I'll be able to take this apart and get on with my University work. It's beginning to get a bit colder and not so pleasant to work outside and the work is beginning to stack up a little but it's all there at least.

Attached File  DSC_05341.JPG   224.45KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05351.JPG   200.4KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05361.JPG   178.88KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05371.JPG   225.94KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05381.JPG   178.8KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05421.JPG   184.21KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05431.JPG   166.24KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05441.JPG   145.75KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05451.JPG   145KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05461.JPG   126.11KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05481.JPG   150.47KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_05471.JPG   74.09KB   0 downloads

Hopefully I'll get the drill plugged in soon and run it all but I'll have to settle for this right now. Enjoy :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#22 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

Not a bad attempt, I think you could probably get it to work without the 2nd lift if you really wanted to, but its quite well made otherwise.  You've nailed the most iconic elements and that's really the important part.

Edited by G Force, 27 September 2016 - 07:50 PM.

#23 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:34 AM

Really like this! Has a great flow and even though it isn't a full recreation it still looks fantastic. Very well built once again Chris!

#24 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:03 PM

Looks great and very clean! I love the china older under the station, wish we saw those more but whatever. What kind of motors are you using for the lift ? I would think 12v would make it more realistic and are you trains fully weighted btw?

#25 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:47 AM

Pretty good! I love the first drop and the first few elements. :)

Shame about the mid course lift hill though. :/ 

#26 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

Not a bad attempt, I think you could probably get it to work without the 2nd lift if you really wanted to, but its quite well made otherwise.  You've nailed the most iconic elements and that's really the important part.

Yeah. Still urks me a little with the missing turns but K'nex can only do so much and in the end, the chain was probably required anyway. I more saw it as an MCBR as I was doing a modern re-creation just emphasising where the brakes on the real thing were. Still I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Thanks. :D

Really like this! Has a great flow and even though it isn't a full recreation it still looks fantastic. Very well built once again Chris!

Thank you. :D

Looks great and very clean! I love the china older under the station, wish we saw those more but whatever. What kind of motors are you using for the lift ? I would think 12v would make it more realistic and are you trains fully weighted btw?

I only have one 12V and I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be strong enough so I had to use the drill. All the old 1920s videos are sped up and it kinda reminds me of them with the extra speed so it pleased me somewhat. The trains are definitely weighted quite heavily as well. Thanks. :D

Pretty good! I love the first drop and the first few elements. :)

Shame about the mid course lift hill though. :/ 

Yeah. Like I said, I saw it more as an MCBR with a bit of a "boost". Trying to keep speed through some of those corners was pretty difficult on the grass so to get where it did was what I was wanting. Thanks. :D

Final video! Just in time as it's getting a bit colder outside and I'm getting busier with work. Pretty happy with how it worked out in the end and I tried to make the song appropriate (Hell above the Water... Beach Boardwalk... Cyclone(ish)... You get the gist).

It was fun but definitely time to get it inside and get my head down for the semester. I might build something small in my bedroom later but I can't guarantee it. This may be one of my last big outside rides too. I don't know how much time I'll have in the following summers so that could be it... Or it could be a complete lie. I don't know. Still, I'll always try and find time to build something no matter how small and maybe expand if I can guarantee some major free time. For now, enjoy this video. :D Thanks for all the responses.

Edited by CW5X, 03 October 2016 - 04:17 PM.

• G Force likes this

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#27 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

Excellent work! Lovely shaping, as always, on everything and a great choice of ride to recreate.  Proportionally, it's spot on too, and whilst it's a shame you ended up needing to use the MCBR as a lift hill (kills the pacing a little), I can understand why it was necessary!

Makes me wish I was there to ride it :) .  It's a real pity there are so few rides from the original golden age of coasters around today!

Posted Image

#28 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

Very, very nice. I love it!

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#29 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:21 PM

Fantastic work on both the video and the coaster! It's fantastic! 

How do you build a coaster?

#30 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

Really enjoyed that video! Especially since the middle was 1:35, not cause there was an amazing built in it or anything ;)

#31 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:57 AM

Looks like a clean build and the transitions between each element is great. Are those track strengtheners on the side of the track or catwalks lol??

Edited by IOAgeek, 06 October 2016 - 11:57 AM.