• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:28 AM

Hello
A few weeks ago I built a Wacky Worm, called Knexy http://www.sscoaster...ers/knexy-r1613 . Now I've taken it and I'm redo it with an instant launch after the terrifying 1st drop! So I already built the launch, Top Hat and a a few curves on the tower.
As launch system I'm using something similar to a jesper launch, only that the train activates the launch and I need to pull it back by hand. Overall the launch works fine, the only problem were the rollbacks, because the always broke the chain, so I added anti rollback dogs between the launch and the top hat.
Soon I'll continue with it...
Now some photos:

Attached File  IMG_2934.JPG   279.32KB   0 downloads
Knexy

Attached File  IMG_3312.JPG   165.13KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3313.JPG   160.08KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3314.JPG   179.82KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3317.JPG   148.65KB   0 downloads

And here I have a video onTwitter where I test the launch: https://twitter.com/...870657220173824

Edited by K1ngdaKa88, 27 October 2016 - 03:36 AM.

Count: 211 (192 Steel & 19 Wood) 37 Parks

YouTube: www.youtube.com/k1ngdaka88

Disclaimer: Sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm from Switzerland!

#2 nukgroep

nukgroep

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:12 AM

Can you make something like a tutorial? I've tried so many times to create a launch but it always broke and this seems like an excellent launch to use  :)

And I think I have got the parts for it.

#3 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

Can you make something like a tutorial? I've tried so many times to create a launch but it always broke and this seems like an excellent launch to use  :)

And I think I have got the parts for it.

Well, I´ve never made a tutorial before but I could try it. You just need to wait a bit since I´ll be back home on sunday. ;)

#4 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:52 PM

It's hard to tell, but it seems like the whole structure would shake during the top hat from the force of the launch. There are not many supports. But who knows, I may be wrong! I like the launch alot! 

How do you build a coaster?

#5 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:39 PM

It's hard to tell, but it seems like the whole structure would shake during the top hat from the force of the launch. There are not many supports. But who knows, I may be wrong! I like the launch alot! 

Thanks :) It isn´t really shaky, but I need to add some more supports to the curves after the top hat because the car isn´t making it right now...

#6 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

A small update after a week:

I've continued with a bit of trackwork and I put the train new together, because one car isn't going well and always slows the train down. The next things I'll be doing is continue with the trackwork, so I planned to make a loop after the drop and then probably a barrel roll back to the station. The other thing, or let's say problem I have is the launch because the train won't go up anymore at the full stretch of the rubber band, but before it went well, so either there is too much friction on the launch-chain or the rubber bands are just streched too much, so I somehow need to find a solution that this isn't a big problem later, instead of changing the rubber bands every week or so.

Below I have a photo of the top hat with the new turnaround and drop.
Attached File  IMG_3366.JPG   169.27KB   0 downloads

PS: Do you know any tricks that the "braking car" isn't braking anymore?

PPS: Sorry that I'm not getting forward that quickly, school's very busy at the moment!

Edited by K1ngdaKa88, 05 November 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#7 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:56 PM

Do you mean that one car is slowing down the rest? Because in that case I would just not use that one if I were you. 

#8 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:31 AM

Do you mean that one car is slowing down the rest? Because in that case I would just not use that one if I were you.

Yeah, that's the case. I'm not using it right now but I was wondering if there is something to get it back running normally. (Maybe some oil for the wheel or the connector between the front & the back of the car?)

#9 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:56 PM

Today I managed to get the launch back working properly. The mayor problem wasn't the rubber band, it was that the launch released too early, so the train lost some speed. So I moved the piece which releases the launch a red rod down the launch and I changed the settings of the rubber bands. Before it was like this:
=---
But now it's like this, so it has more power:
==--
And I've done some trackwork as well. I've finished the large drop and built the loop and it works pretty well.

I have a testing video on Twitter: https://twitter.com/...393508370710528

And some photos:

Attached File  IMG_3378.JPG   163.8KB   0 downloads
This piece I moved down. It's the one the train pushes forward, so the rope gets pulled back.

Attached File  IMG_3379.JPG   158.53KB   0 downloads
The rope gets moved down to the purple rod, which gets pulled up to release the chain so the rubber bands can release theirs power.

Attached File  IMG_3380.JPG   186.42KB   0 downloads
And the loop

Attached File  IMG_3381.JPG   227.45KB   0 downloads
And all from the back.

As soon as I have time again I'll continue with it. I'm planing to build a barrel roll after the loop to the station.
What do you think of it?

#10 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:02 PM

Very inventive layout and the launch seems to work pretty well. I do like to see a coaster with crazy winding track every now and then. It reminds me of how I used to build.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#11 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

Very inventive layout and the launch seems to work pretty well. I do like to see a coaster with crazy winding track every now and then. It reminds me of how I used to build.

Thank you. When the launch works, it's working quite well, but the chain snaps often during the launch or while pulling up.

#12 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

Silicone spray works very well to get your cars running faster. If that one car is bad I would just not use it though. Silicone spray probably won't help it. For silicone spray I usually spray some into a cup (the cap works too) and then I take a super thin paint brush to put the silicone spray in between the wheels. I recommend before you do this you clean out your wheels,
You can just take a little napkin and clean out the axles of the wheel that way. Also if you haven't already you should weight your cars. Since you fave so many cars I don't think you would need to weight them though.

#13 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

Silicone spray works very well to get your cars running faster. If that one car is bad I would just not use it though. Silicone spray probably won't help it. For silicone spray I usually spray some into a cup (the cap works too) and then I take a super thin paint brush to put the silicone spray in between the wheels. I recommend before you do this you clean out your wheels,
You can just take a little napkin and clean out the axles of the wheel that way. Also if you haven't already you should weight your cars. Since you fave so many cars I don't think you would need to weight them though.

#14 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

As for now, this car is not in use, but I still want to bring it back to use. And thanks for the tip, I'll try this out. ;)

#15 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:09 AM

Yesterday evening I've finished the trackwork. The last thing I added was a zero-g-roll. I made some testing and it works well. Also the launch has less problems than on the before. The only thing I wanna do is a better station.

Here are the photos:
Attached File  IMG_3399.JPG   168.46KB   0 downloads
Overview

Attached File  IMG_3400.JPG   168.46KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3401.JPG   150.91KB   0 downloads
The zero-g-roll

Attached File  IMG_3403.JPG   77.47KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3405.JPG   134.06KB   0 downloads

What do you think of it?
And do you have any suggestions to make it even better?

Edited by K1ngdaKa88, 17 November 2016 - 04:10 AM.

#16 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

I love the uniqueness of the ride. It's just so much fun to look at, and the different colored track pieces really make it stand out. I, as well, think you should also make a better station that is more noticeable. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#17 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:33 AM

I love the uniqueness of the ride. It's just so much fun to look at, and the different colored track pieces really make it stand out. I, as well, think you should also make a better station that is more noticeable.

That's nice to hear, thanks :)
As soon as I have time, I'll start with the station.

#18 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

I now made a station, well, just a platform and a roof, because I'm not very good in building stations. As for now I would say I'm finished. So now I just need to shoot the video, edit and upload it. Depending on how busy school is, it may comes this Friday, but it could also take a few weeks.
Now the photos:

Attached File  IMG_3423.JPG   140.36KB   0 downloads
Station from the front

Attached File  IMG_3424.JPG   143.54KB   0 downloads
And from it's side

Attached File  IMG_3425.JPG   154.81KB   0 downloads
And an overview

#19 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:15 PM

And finally, here it is, the final video.
Have fun :)

What do you think of it?

#20 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

Fantastic job on this - well done!

I love the randomness of the concept and I think you've managed to execute it beautifully as well - that instant launch really does exactly what it says on the tin (and it's powerful too)!

You're definitely improving with every model you make and this is no exception.  The pacing, shaping and strength of the coaster is excellent.

What I admire most is your dedication to the build in a time where there are very few members, especially micro builders,around to critique it. Keep it going!

(Sorry I haven't been around at all for the last few months to comment as I'm in my first term of University)

• K1ngdaKa88 likes this
Posted Image