side brakes

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 coasterguy

coasterguy

Wolfpack Cyclone

• 1061 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:47 PM

inspired by skatercoaster's thread about brakes i began trying to make some new ones. after a few attempts (and failures) i came up with this:

Posted Image

the train runs into the rods that come from the sides of the track. when this happens a weight is pulled up. this creates the resistance. once the train passes by the weight goes back down, returning the brakes to their original posistion. these brakes can be use on any straight section of track, even if there's no room below. anyway, here's how to make it...

STEP 1

Posted Image

first of all you need to have a straight section and base kinda like this.

STEP 2

Posted Image

next build two small structures on each side of the track. this will be where the weight is held up.

Custom Models: Anaconda Clarion Cliff Hanger Double Looper Fury Maelstrom Metamorphose Mustang Shuttle Looper Rush Vortex
Recreations: Corkscrew@KBF Hypersonic XLC@PKD King Cobra@PKI Magnum XL200@CP Mr. Freeze@SFOT

The way some people find fault, you'd think there was some kind of reward.

#2 Metalhead

Metalhead

Architect

• 496 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:56 PM

Ummm i don't really get it. It would be great if you could post some more detailed instructions.

Posted Image

#3 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:36 PM

Train hits rods. Rods move. When rods move, a weight goes up and goes down making the rods go back to the resting position.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#4 coasterguy

coasterguy

Wolfpack Cyclone

• 1061 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:07 PM

STEP 3

Posted Image

in this step you build the structure shown on both sides of the track. this will hold the brakes later on

STEP 4

Posted Image

this pic shows the parts you need to make the brakes. they are labled A-E. for this tutorial you need to make 10 A's, 2 B's, 2 C's, 2 D's, and 2 E's.

STEP 5

Posted Image

in this step place the 10 A's on the white rods like in the photo

Custom Models: Anaconda Clarion Cliff Hanger Double Looper Fury Maelstrom Metamorphose Mustang Shuttle Looper Rush Vortex
Recreations: Corkscrew@KBF Hypersonic XLC@PKD King Cobra@PKI Magnum XL200@CP Mr. Freeze@SFOT

#5 supportking86

supportking86

GO BENGALS!!!!!

• 2622 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:11 PM

This is such a complicated structure for brakes, especially when you compare them to some other brakes I know of that CC10 showed me. It probably works really well, but it still looks pretty complicated to a lot of people the first time they look at it.

SK86

Posted Image

Made by CC10************My User Page************

The Scorpian's Tail-Completed------------Full Dose-Completed

Blue Mist-Completed-----------------------Bullseye-Cancelled

Apollo 14-Completed-----------------------

#6 coasterguy

coasterguy

Wolfpack Cyclone

• 1061 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:20 PM

STEP 6

Posted Image

in this step place C on top of the ends of the A pieces and then put D through the two parts. sorry if i can't explain it better but the photo can give you a good idea.

STEP 7

Posted Image

in this step place the B parts over the top of the structures of step 3. make sure the white rods on the B parts end up of the back side of the A parts. once again sorry if i can't explain this better, but the pic should give you a good idea. the purpose of the B parts is to prevent the brakes from rotating backwards.

STEP 8

Posted Image

in this step connect the E parts to the white onnectors as shown on the pic. then connect the other side of the E parts to the structures you made in step 2

#7 coasterguy

coasterguy

Wolfpack Cyclone

• 1061 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:24 PM

STEP 9

Posted Image

now in this step you will add the weight. you can use anything you want for this. for the tutorial i use a red gear.

FINISH

Posted Image

and here's the finished product. hope this helped you out. if you have a questions post them and i'll try to help you out.

BTW: sorry for not finishing this earlier. i had a blackout here at my house so i couldn't use the computer. i think some of you thought i finished the tutorial at step 2, but i just wasn't finished yet.

#8 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:28 PM

That's a really ingenious design...I may use that for a coaster...maybe...

CC10 :D

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#9 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:31 PM

That's really cool, though i always use side friction brakes, they are more realistic and cooler looking.
But that's my oponion.
those are good for those who lack the original rollercoaster track connectors.

#10 Swimming24-7

Swimming24-7

Go Apaches!

• 952 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:53 AM

How do you make side friction brakes?

#11 supportking86

supportking86

GO BENGALS!!!!!

• 2622 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:14 AM

^Look at my Apollo 14, I used them twice on the track. Take the original roller coaster track pieces and connect them to a blue rod that connects to a flexi rod with a 90 degree connector. Look in my signature, Apollo 14, page 2.

SK86

Posted Image

#12 coasterguy

coasterguy

Wolfpack Cyclone

• 1061 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:25 AM

i made a tutorial for side friction brakes a while ago on AKCS. take a look...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

these brakes are simple enough that i don't think i need to explain the steps.

#13 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:46 PM

I make mine different and in my opinion better.
i make the friction track part horazontal, i there are pics of it on my rip curl model, but i have to upload those still, but you can look in my old construction topic to see the pics.

#14 supportking86

supportking86

GO BENGALS!!!!!

• 2622 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

^Horizontal ones are okay, but you can't adjust them, they are atatched in one and only one way. But, whatever one works best for you, then I guess it doesn't matter.

SK86

Posted Image

#15 coasterguy

coasterguy

Wolfpack Cyclone

• 1061 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:52 PM

well anyway, i realize the side brakes i made are kinda complicated, but i didn't make them to replace the other brakes out there; i just made them to give people more options. the way thery're designed you can increase resistance to almost exactly how you want it. you can add/take off nuts, washers, knex wheels, or whatever to get the amount of braking power you want. they also reset every time and are very low maintenance. just put them together and forget about them. when i came across platinumcoasters brakes i absolutely loved them because they were the only ones that you could add little bits of weight to to make them as powerful as you needed, and they reset every time no matter what. sure you can adjust the side friction brakes mentioned above but it is more difficult to get the amount of braking you want. of course, side friction brakes are much more simple and use less pieces which is a big plus, but the choice is yours :cool:

i haven't had a chance to use these brakes on any coasters yet, though i probably will on my next model. if anyone chooses to use these on a coaster please let me know how they work out for you and let me know if you have any suggestions on how to make them better. and if anyone is confused about any of the steps of the tutorial don't hesitate to post your questions or PM me.

#16 robots199

robots199

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

great brake system

#17 blingdylan

blingdylan

Construction Foreman

• 159 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

Please Don't Bring Up Dead Threads.

#18 Coaster105

Coaster105

Lead Engineer

• 1035 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

^you have no right to say that^

-Coaster105

Youtube Channel

#19 Ace o Spades

Ace o Spades

Lead Engineer

• 2885 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:16 PM

Yes he does. This is a dead topic, as in it hasn't been active in over 2 years. Posting in dead topics is generally frowned upon unless the OP has new content to share.

#20 Coaster105

Coaster105

Lead Engineer

• 1035 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:32 PM

no im just saying, because he always posts in dead threads...wait or is that dannycool...hmmm...dangit always get the 2 mixed up.

srry

-Coaster105

Youtube Channel