• Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

#1 bfolla06

bfolla06

Construction Foreman

• 297 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:43 AM

Hey everybody
My name is Brian Folland some of you may remember me as sscoasterfan. I am a long time K'nex coaster bulder, but a few years back i sold my three sets (bad idea).

a few days ago i was really missing my k'nex, so i decided to build a real roller coaster (it was kind of a random desecsion and nobody beleved me when i told them), but I am now 4 days into construction and i am very pleased with the progress.

I know this is a model roller coaster website, but i was hoping i could share this news with you anyways. As long as this tread is allowed to stay on here, tomorrow i'm planning on uploading a picture of my current progress.

But more about the coaster...
it is a wooden coaster. directly out of the station will be the first drop. Its hard to tell the hieght because it drops intoa ravine, but i estimate 30 ft or so. I already have 8 ft of track laid, and tomorrow i should be able to put in 8 more. also, i have a very basic car completed. it is bascially a seat with wheels, but the wheels are well built and include side and up-stops. I have already pured 400 lbs of concrete and probably 100 ft. boards.

the main reason i posted this was because iu know in the future i'm going to need some advice and back in the day i could always trust the people of sscoasters.

Thanks for reading, and i appologise about the leght... hope to have pictures for you guys tomorrow evening...

#2 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:53 AM

Great to have you back. I can't wait to see the pix. Do you have any ideas for a layout? I hope that your coaster is smooth and people will enjoy riding it.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#3 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:54 AM

Sounds great so far. We don't have ravines in Florida; all our coasters need lift hills to start. Good luck to you.

SSCoasters Veteran

The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Coming Eventually.
There's a new storm a-brewin'...
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#4 ssfan313

ssfan313

Entry Engineer

• 953 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

Wow, it's been a long time. I think I remember you though. Didnt you build a rollercoaster going down your stairs?

#5 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

I think he started a hyper right before he disappeared. It sounds very interesting. If you finish it, will you let us get on if were in your area?

#6 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:18 PM

Your name looks vegually familiar. Anyway, this sounds cool. It'd be cool to see it interact with the terrain.
Good luck.
-TD

#7 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:34 PM

I hope you don't end up like that German boy:
http://coasterbuzz.c...d&TopicID=42836
Europa Park offered him a job though, plus he was allowed to set up his lifthill in the park... as scenery.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#8 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:21 AM

Just be sure to get a building permit.

SSCoasters Veteran

Coming Eventually.
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#9 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:58 AM

yep....this sounds freaking awesome. I hope that you keep us updated regulary...can't wait to see it and Good Luck!....

Posted Image

#10 coasterguy

coasterguy

Wolfpack Cyclone

• 1061 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:18 AM

that sounds absolutely awesome, i'll definitely want to be kept up to date with this one.

also it's nice to see you around again, I remember you were the first to send a knex model in for my website like 3 years ago. I still remember your coaster, Phoenix II:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Custom Models: Anaconda Clarion Cliff Hanger Double Looper Fury Maelstrom Metamorphose Mustang Shuttle Looper Rush Vortex
Recreations: Corkscrew@KBF Hypersonic XLC@PKD King Cobra@PKI Magnum XL200@CP Mr. Freeze@SFOT

The way some people find fault, you'd think there was some kind of reward.

#11 Spinout

Spinout

800+ Posts

• 1085 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:19 AM

^The images don't work. They say remote linking forbidden.
NVM, they work now.

Posted Image

#12 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:45 AM

They work fine for me. Construct your backyard coaster a little better than your SS coasters ;).

SSCoasters Veteran

Coming Eventually.
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#13 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:53 AM

This sounds awesome a backyard roller coaster i wish i had one of those. Good luck with this (you must have lots of money to build this) Can't wait for some pics.

^^^The pics work fine for me

#14 ssfan313

ssfan313

Entry Engineer

• 953 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:38 AM

Ohhhh, you are the person I remember! I loved your models back in the day. It's nice to see you around again.

#15 bfolla06

bfolla06

Construction Foreman

• 297 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

They work fine for me. Construct your backyard coaster a little better than your SS coasters ;).

Hey now... that was like my second or third custom model, but i'm am gonna try to build it a little better

Yes.. I was the one who built vertical velocity (on the stairs).

No, i don't have a building permit, but the coaster is hidden back in the woods, so i think it'll be safe... I hope anyway

And yes everybody is invited to ride it when it's complete... i live in western New York.

I don't have much money at all that is my biggest problem... i'm a poor college kid, but my dad has a lot of lumber around and i have a birthday coming up, so i will be able to keep constructing steadily.

I was able to work on my coaster today... i cemented in another post (now have used 480 lbs of concrete) and laid another 8 feet of track (now have 16ft). i took some pictures and they look really good, but i couldn't find the cable to transfer them. I'll have pictures tomorrow for sure.

i was wondering what the average angle of decent is on a wooden coaster. The angle on mine is abot 50 degrees i think this is pretty close to a real one.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and its really good to be back. I'll keep you all posted and suggestions are always welcome.

One more thing... I still don't have a name for this coaster, and if anybody has any ideas i'd love to hear em'

#16 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

^Don't go to much over 50*. And think about EVERY ASPECT before you build it. As in don't f-up the pull-ups and have to redo it, that'd really suck.
That's all the advice I have...
woopie...
-TD

#17 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:28 AM

I have a name idea. You could call it Backcountry because of the trees and the ravine. If you want to go over the top and do a logo, you could have two trees and a snowmobile track that goes inbetween them in a kind of S shape. That would looks sweet.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#18 bfolla06

bfolla06

Construction Foreman

• 297 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

so far, things have been going smoothly with no major screw ups, but i am expecting one or two big mistakes that will have to be redone.

the current angle is somewhere between 45 and 50 degrees, and is not going to get any steeper.

and i like the name backcountry and the idea for a logo... but more ideas are always welcome.

but anyways... today construction continued another post was put in supports were added to the main structure which stiffened up the whole track a lot (it's just like building a big k'nex coaster).

I have some pictures these are from yesterday and there are two more posts in the ground since then but this will give you the idea of what is being built and a little bit of the surrounding terrain. I'll try to get some more pictures tomorrow when it'll be a bit lighter.

Tomorrow i am going to the lumber store to get more supplies and will be able to lay at least another 8 feet of track... hopefully pictures tomorrow...

enjoy the pics...

#19 CP-ephY

CP-ephY

thumb abuser

• 2751 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

Why are your ties under the rails. They should be attatched so they are level with the rails. The upstop wheels are going to hang right on the edge of the track otherwise, which is potentially dangerous. The car looks nice though. My suggestion is an easy fix so I think you should take it into consideration.

Posted Image

#20 bfolla06

bfolla06

Construction Foreman

• 297 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

I know it would be better if i could get the ties to go in the center, but i would need twice the lumber to make the track sturdy enough. I have set the car on the track and allowed it to roll along, no wheels hit and it is firmly on the track. thanks for the suggestion i will keep it in mind if i do run into trouble witht the track.

I have another question for you guys tho. i know on real wooden coasters there is some kind of metal that that the car's wheels ride on. I figured that tthis was just a thin layer of tinor something to smooth out the connections in the track. but does anybody know for sure what this is for?