A tribute to the Classics

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

After I have been recently reading a ton of coaster books. Some oldies get overlooked even with such intense lay-outs. So anyone can post a classic coaster that they think need recognizing. I will start with am infamed classic. The Crystal Beach Cyclone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This ride was so histerically rediculous I really couldn't stop laughing. If you look on http://www.coastergl...clone/index.cfm and read the guy's interview about the ride. Some of the things he says is pretty disgusting.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#2 Coaster105

Coaster105

Lead Engineer

• 1035 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

thats a wicked coaster,

this coaster isn't well known, but its the oldest operating coaster in Canada (1950's)

this is at my home park and i have ridden in many times.

its nothing to serious, just a few hills and turns, but eh unbelievable out of control feeling is what makes it good. as you can see in this picture http://rcdb.com/ig320.htm?picture=9 the lap bars only go into 1 position and that is high. you can see that the lap bar is like a foot higher then the kid in the front.

my favorite part is the very last bunny hill, when every single time you stand up and almost fall out. (surprisingly no one has ever gotten hurt)

its as rough as could be and i love every bit of it.

more pics:http://rcdb.com/ig320.htm?picture=2
http://rcdb.com/ig320.htm

-Coaster105

Youtube Channel

#3 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

I'm too lazy to post pics, but I have two to share; the Airplane coaster at Rye Playland, and the Coney Island Tornado. Out of all the Coney coasters, the Tornado was one of the 3 most intense and famous. It was said to be haunted by L.A. Marcus Tomsan as it was built around a steeple and over many shops and buildings. From the NL download I have and from pics in books I've read, it looks like an airtime monster with some insane lateral gs. It's worth looking up.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#4 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:42 AM

Grand National @ Pleasure Beach Blackpool...
An insane classic woodie!

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#5 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:00 AM

^^do you have that roller coaster book too? With a section in the middle about classic coasters? Cause the two you mentioned were in that section.

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#6 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

There's your coasters, RD.

Oh, and here's the Puritas Spring Cyclone, which had a turn (upper left) that hung over a 200+ft. cliff, I think.

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#7 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:35 PM

Good old AE. It was built way back when it was Mariotts's Great America. Not that terribly old, but still a classic...

-Rct2123:cool:

Posted Image

#8 Ace o Spades

Ace o Spades

Lead Engineer

• 2885 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:14 PM

I think this belongs in the Amusement Industry forum...

I miss the old woodies. There aren't any good classic woodies near where I live, the only operating one is Colossus at SFMM.

There is one at the boardwalk in Santa Cruz as well, but I didn't get to ride it when we drove by it.

#9 Garth

Garth

Originally known as GarKD

• 2001 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:35 PM

Would you consider Thunder Road a classic? It was back in 1962 that it was built. A dueling coaster between two states! Who will reach the finish line first?

Posted Image

#10 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

^Uhh...it opened in 1976. And it's pretty much a copy of \/.

The Racer is a must mention though. It opened in 1972 with the opening of King's Island. It started the Second Golden Age for the roller coaster, inspiring other park to build more coasters to where we are today.

Posted Image

Sorry its a little too big.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#11 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

^That ride is sweet.

This is a more looked over park in Moosic, Pennsylvania but probably this winter I am going to search around the area. My grand parents live around twenty minutes away and my mom remembers going to the park. The park is called Rocky Glen and let us not forget the 4700 foot long, 96 foot high Million Dollar Coaster. (It cost $100,000)

Posted Image

#12 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

^That looks like a lot of fun...

*Moved*

Posted Image

#13 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

Sirchubs: the book is called The American Roller Coaster by Scott Rutherford.

TripleHelix: all three of those roller coasters I have No Limits downloads of and they are amazing rides. Purita Springs Cyclone's last drop dove right down into a huge ravine, making it the ride's largest drop. Here's a link to some of it's remnants: www.rcdb.com/ig2077.htm

Warning: those pics are sad!

I also have to point out La Montana Russa. It looks similar to Grand National, but in real life it looks like a beast. Very long ride too. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride it. www.rcdb.com/ig354.htm

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#14 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:32 PM

Yeah they are kind of sad. Strange to see something that used to be rode by thousands in eaten away pieces. I think it would have been great for us to go back and ride all of these classic, and sometimes dangerous rides...

Posted Image

#15 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

^Absolutely. I look at it the same way you do, its sad that something that used to thrill thousands of people is being rotted away in some forest. It also makes me want to go find it... :)

#16 fastman xc

fastman xc

Resident Outdoor Builder

• 3182 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:05 AM

who else has Roller Coaster by Dan Bennett?? it is an excellent book (but only as of 1999 ;))

^^^^^I've been to Moosic. That coaster is awesome how it hugs the railroad! I should check that out sometime if it's still there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

coasters made by:
~FXC, Inc
a subsidiary of
Posted Image
currently featuring ... Pine Mine: A Real Terrain Coaster

#17 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:49 AM

^ You know what? I think I'm going to go there tomorrow. My grandma literally lives fifteen minutes from the scene. The chance of me going is probably about 60%. I will try to get pictures of the site, too.

#18 fastman xc

fastman xc

Resident Outdoor Builder

• 3182 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:47 PM

nice. I can show you pictures of an abandoned park 5 miles from my house with an old rickety out-and-back woodie that is beginning to be overgrown with weeds. The park closed in 05 and it looks like there is no hurry to open anytime soon, but now it is used as a flea market on the weekends in Spring/Summer/Fall.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

coasters made by:
~FXC, Inc
a subsidiary of
Posted Image

#19 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

^ That would be cool.

Damn snow was too much. I wouldn't have been able to see anything. I will definently will be going there when it clears up.

#20 fastman xc

fastman xc

Resident Outdoor Builder

• 3182 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

alright. here is one of the pics. I'll upload others once I get the chance. this is from back in September.

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

coasters made by:
~FXC, Inc
a subsidiary of
Posted Image