aquiix maverix

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

Yes, I am going to attempt to build a freefall tower out of knex. It will be reasonably small and will use a yellow base rod. So far, I have the base built and a small Prototype of a tower section/car frame. Pics....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comments appreciated!!!

-BC69 :fdevil

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#2 kingdakrazy

kingdakrazy

BANNED

• 235 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

cool! there's really not much to say right now. will it reset itself?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

^Yes, if everything works out as planned.:tmbs This will hopefully be Christmas themed if I finish it in time.

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#4 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

Yay! Nice idea with the tower and wheel spacing, but are you sure you have nough of those little orange track-connectors?
If you can do this, add some diagonals! Make it realistic!

#5 ~G3n3rOo2256~

~G3n3rOo2256~

the knex kid

• 1263 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

this is going to be cool!

Posted Image
^^^Thanks Spitfire!^^^
[SS Inverted Launched] Triton:http://www.sscoaster...d-launch-10703/

#6 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

^^I will hopefully have enough but if I happen to run out, then I'll just find a way to get some more. :D ^Thanks!! And now...an update!!! I finished the tower (with diagonals) and I think the height of it is good enough for a small freefall ride. But I'll see what you guys have to say first. Pics...
Posted Image
The tower overview
Posted Image
A cute little top :)

If you noticed the extra rod near the top, that is where some gears will go. I will be using a chail lift with some sort of connector snapped on to serve as a hook for the car. When the chain nears the top, the hook slides away and the car falls. Obviously. If anybody has any ideas of how to slow the car down a little as it falls to prevent rider annihilation, please comment!!!

Posted Image

#7 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

Sorry for dp, but I've hit a problem. It appears that I'm not able to find a correct car size to fit the tower. Yes, the prototype appeared to work but one side of the tubing was slightly misaligned making the slightly too big car appear to run fine. I've tried size after size of the car frames but one size will be too small and the next size up too big. I don't wan't to cancel this, so does anybody have any ideas??? HELP!!

Posted Image

#8 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

http://www.sscoaster...cond-fear-1013/

Edited by Jogumpie, 04 September 2013 - 07:59 AM.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#9 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

I think if you make the tower blue rods instead of yellows that would work you should have made the car then made the tower.

#10 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

True, but I think I'll make the car more of a square, like gump posted. Then I'll have it run on two sets of cord on the sides of the tower rather than the corners, using two wheels per side. If that won't work then I'll make the tower out of blue rods instead. :tmbs

Posted Image

#11 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

^ It's possible to make a square of any size, as Gump posted, so Id try that.
Also, I wouldn't use a chain lift--it'd look too big and bulky, and possibly noisy.
Also (#2), the tower looks a little wide for its height; Id either make it taller or skinnier
looking at a couple of these might help:
http://insidetheusa....wer-tower11.jpg
...just a suggestion...

#12 decaxxeca

decaxxeca

just call me Ten

• 974 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

use a cable lift with a small segment of chain with a 90 degree connecter on it so that it will lift it up then drop it also it will make it automatic

Posted Image

#13 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for commenting!!!
^^I raised it a yellow rod and I think the height/width ratio is good now. I can raise it another yellow though if need be.
^Good idea, I could probably find a way to do that with a motor.
And now, an UPDATE!! I made the tower and base sturdier by beefing them up a bit and added the holders for the cord. The tower is also a yellow rod taller: Pics....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll be working on finding the right frame size for the car if the tower is fine as it is. COMMENT!!!!

Posted Image

#14 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:34 AM

If you take a good look at my car, you can see I was able to adjust the frame size by moving these blue rings around.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#15 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

Great, now you can adjust the width between the track to make it fit :D
Nice!

#16 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

Okay, just wanted to announce that I will be rebuilding the tower. The long spaces between cord conectors was making big bumps in the tubing. This made it near impossible to find the correct car frame size, let alone run a car on it. So I will now rebuild the tower using blue rods for a base rather than yellows. Will update when done.

-OL659

Posted Image

#17 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

I have always wanted to make one of these but never got around to it. This thing looks so cool!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 larry marak

larry marak

Construction Foreman

• 129 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

Have you considered utilizing the benches and figures from Pirate Ship Park with your freefall? I've got spare and can mail you 2 benches and 4 figures at no cost if you'd like to receive them.

#19 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

^^Thanks!!! Hopefully it'll look even better when rebuilt. :D
^Do the Pirate ship park benches have connectors on the back?? I was wondering how to connect them. Anyway, this will be postponed until after x-mas-Christmas coaster under construction-but I will resume work when finished. Thanks for commenting!!

Posted Image

#20 larry marak

larry marak

Construction Foreman

• 129 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

There's a single connector slot underneath each of the benches. There's space for 2 riders in each bench, though I only have 4 riders to send you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aquiix, maverix