Frozen Solid

coaster contest knex sfgamguitarist winter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

EDIT: What a way to have my 500th post!

This is my winter coaster (duh) and it's called Frozen Solid. I've finished the lift and part of the turning drop. This is only 3 grays tall, not 5, so...

I'm not sure whether this will be a looper or minetrain/family coaster. I want to include at least one inversion, but I don't think I'll have enough speed.

In the first pic, I'm going to make a turn out of the station at the bottom of the lift.

PICS:
[ATTACH]4082[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4083[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4084[/ATTACH]

EDIT: I put minetrain as the prefix although i really have no idea what you're building.-CC10

http://www.youtube.com/metallicais1337
^My YouTube Channel (FL Studio songs, Custom Guitar Hero charts)^

#2 Renegade

Renegade

Valleyfair Poster!

• 323 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Good God child, you've started like 4 different coasters in the past month & ALL of them have either been canceled or locked by Mods. Shouldn't you just stick to one coaster and work with that instead of starting new coasters over and over and over and over again?

"If you don't succeed at first try, try again"

Posted Image
Valleyfair's Most Comprehensive Online Guide!

Dude... Really? Now you're giving Guitarist a reason to post...

#3 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

^Ignored.

Please comment on the coaster/vote in the poll.

#4 Renegade

Renegade

Valleyfair Poster!

• 323 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

Okay, I'm not being negative, I'm trying to give you encouragement so you can actually finish a coaster. Every single coaster you've started a thread for has been canceled. That's not a good way to earn reputation around here (and neither will calling people assholes).

Here's a recap of all of your coasters:

Well,
ENIGMO IS CANCELED.
Winter contest coaster coming soon...

It's a Secret... Locked

BIG, BIGGGGGG UPDATE:

well, how am i gonna say this... i'm cancelling this coaster, yes CANCELING it. i think im gonna make a drill launched hyper. but, probably no construction until... well, idk. whatever.

well, if i make one heck of a snow coaster, then it will improve my skillz, and doesnt the guitar thing add weight? o, then again it makes wind drag... ok,

so this project is

CANCELED!

to start on my snow coaster hint

Now should you give up again & keep building other to-be-canceled coasters? Of course not. None of us want to see that. Should you build a dragon wagon or just stop building Knex all together? No! What I'm saying is that you should do is set your mind on what you want to build, make sure that it's a reasonable height/size, and put some solid work into it, so that you can prove everyone (as well as me!) wrong and kick some serious behind. That way, you'll improve & start becoming a more respected person here on SSC. Sorry if I seem(ed) blunt, but the amount of new inexperienced builders on this site is driving me insane. Good luck with this.

Posted Image
Valleyfair's Most Comprehensive Online Guide!

Dude... Really? Now you're giving Guitarist a reason to post...

#5 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

^I PROMISE that no matter what, this coaster WILL NOT EVER BE CANCELED. I actually like building small things like this, and it's motivating me more than starting off with something big like Enigmo (both of them).

Anyways, back on topic: PLEASE COMMENT ON THE COASTER!!! I need to know whether I should move on and if so, what I should do.

#6 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

Okay, so what happens if you break your promise?

Also, by telling renegade you're ignoring his post you're actually not ignoring. Just letting you know.

Oh, you need to tube the elements before we can critique, but the drop seems really sharp.

-CC10

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#7 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

UPDATE:

Ok, since no one's voted in the poll, I may as well just close it, because I've already decided that I'm doing a minetrain/family coaster and don't want to have to wait for votes to continue building.

With that said, I finished a helix, which goes under the pullout of the drop. I personally think it looks fin and smooth, but you guys decide. I'm not that good at spotting bumps anyways. I also need a layout plan after the helix, please.

PICS (believe me, it looks SO much smoother in person):

[ATTACH]4086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4088[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4089[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4090[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4091[/ATTACH]

TEST VID:

Posted Image

#8 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

1. More crossties.
2. Your transition into the helix is too sharp.
3. Add some middle tubing.

Asides from that, it looks okay I guess...

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#9 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

^Like I said, it's much smoother in person. It's probably the angle that's making the transition look sharp.

MORE crossties?!?!?!? I have like 4 per rod!

Ok, I'll add middle tubing.

Layout Ideas Wanted.

#10 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

I'm almost positive that it's not the angle. And I don't really understand....you say that we should decide whether it's smooth or not, but when I tell you that it's NOT smooth, you say it's just the angle. If you layer your flexis and get rid of the ladder connectors, the transition may be a little smoother. More x-ties would help that too.....

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#11 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

It isn't the angle fix the transition.You should add more crossties to.I would also suggest making an upword helix.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

^Upward helix next? Or do you mean change the helix I have now so that it's upwards?

^^Sorry, I wasn't trying to get mad, I was just trying to say that maybe it's just the angle. But you say it's not, so I will fix that.

#13 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

You need to add more X-ties. If it's a big coaster, 4 is acceptable. But with a tiny coaster with sharp turns such as this one, you really need more.

If it were me, I would make some hills first before doing a helix. You're basically throwing whatever speed you have away.

EDIT: Why is this called Frozen Solid?

#14 Jesperdude

Jesperdude

european idiot

• 911 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

Why is this called Frozen Solid?

Because of the winter contest I suppose.

I have to agree with everyone: I suggest to add more crossties and fix the transition.
The rest looks good.

My signature is expericing a temporay delay and has therefore seized operation.

#15 knexems

knexems

Aminspec Employee

• 887 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

You are going to have to redo your drop becuase the gears where they are now are to close to the top of the crest which won't get the train over. You need to redo it because the drop starts turning right after where you have the gears.

Posted Image]

Posted Image

Posted Image <---If only...

#16 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

^Does that mean that if I have a longer train, then it will make it over? Because I obviously haven't tested it with the chain yet...

^^Thanks!

^^^ 1. Why does putting a helix after the drop kill so much speed? It's not like it has brakes on it or anything... and 2. It's called Frozen Solid for the winter contest.

#17 knexems

knexems

Aminspec Employee

• 887 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

^1st Paragraph: If you use a longer train, that would make the problem worse becuase there would be even more weight behind the gear than in the front.

^3rd Paragraph: Well have you ever seen a roller coaster with a helix right after the drop? You are putting such a small element right after the drop, which makes it lose so much momentum. Helixs should normally go somewhere near the end.

Posted Image]

Posted Image

Posted Image <---If only...

#18 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

^^ Putting a helix right after the drop will put more force on the track, while putting a hill after it will have less force on the track. If it goes down, then back up (as in a hill), there is only a small section of track with a lot of force on it--the trough of the first drop. If it goes down and then spins in a circle very fast, there will be a lot of force. It's like taking the froce from the drop alone, and multiplying it by 5 (or however many G's that helix would pull).
If there's more force on the track, that will cause it to bend, and this slows the train down. It takes more force to keep going forward and to push down some tubing than to just keep going forward. However, if you have a fixed amount of energy (which you do), the energy that goes into pushing the train forward will be decreased. This causes the train to slow down.
Now, with a train that tiny and such a small coaster, it's not too significant of a difference, but it still affects your coaster quite a bit.

There, is that good enough for you?

#19 Knex Rule

Knex Rule

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

More X-Ties And tripple tubing.

#20 rollercoasterfreak

rollercoasterfreak

SSC what?

• 966 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

I would start over.. your gonna get no where with that. Seriously, you have killed a ton of speed with the turns.. if I were you i would do a turning drop to the ground.. bring it back up, then start with a helix, bring up a tad, a couple dips and twists.

Sorry but you have lost all of your momentum already.

RCF, is just tryin to help out

Posted Image

**^^ Jesperdude^^**

IM BACK BABY

SKULL