Company Guidelines

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Welcome to the Company Guidelines thread. This thread summarizes what exactly SSC Companies are.

SSC Companies allow SSC members to create or join companies that specialize in different aspects of K'nex coaster construction. Having companies that excel in different fields will help members create the very best coasters possible.

// If members do not want to take part in Companies, they are now considered freelance builders. We are not changing how SSC operates, we are just providing a new way of doing things, if builders want to. If you don't want to join a company, you can continue to build as usual in the now-called "Freelance Construction" thread. //

Members can either start a company or join a company already in business. Members can only belong to one company though.

To start a company, go to the Company Registration topic. There you can submit your company for approval. You can find more information about that process in the Company Registration thread here.

To join a company, go to the Job Search forum. Describe what sort of position you are looking for, along with any credentials you may have. The Job Search forum is also the place for companies to offer an opening in their company. Clearly outline the type of employee you would like along with any job requirements.

Types of Companies

A company is defined by its company type. Those types are coaster building, layout design, innovations, theming, ride design, or image design.

Coaster building companies specialize in designing and producing roller coasters. This is analogous to large coaster manufacturing companies like Bolliger and Mabillard or Intamin AG. Each coaster building company has its own unique building style. These companies can patent coaster types that they create.

Layout design companies provide coasters with original layouts. Layout companies can patent unique inversions and elements.

Innovations companies invent new ride systems and mechanics. These companies can patent any ride mechanism they invent.

Theming companies can provide stock scenery or unique scenery. Any scenery or theming item can be patented.

Ride design companies create flat rides, wheel rides, transport rides, or any other non-coaster type rides. Any of these may be patented by a ride design company.

Image design companies create ride signage, logos, or any other image work. Do not submit image work to the patent library. Let us know if someone copied your work without your permission.

Once you have submitted your company, please be patient. If approved, your company will receive its own private subforum within the appropriate category. You can use this forum to discuss anything company related.

Original Content

To keep all your original content safe and protected, a patent library is available. This is the only way to ensure the protection of your creations. The patent library may be found here.

Company Involvement

There are three different types of involvement a company can have with a project within each category.

Freelance - No company has any influence in the given field.
Direction - A company directly impacts the project in the given field.
Sponsorship - A company assists or sponsors the project in the given field.

If you do not belong to a company, then your project cannot be directed.
If you do not belong to a company and a company assisted, it was sponsored in that company's field.
If you do not belong to a company and no company assisted, it was entirely freelance.
If you do belong to a company, your project is always directed by the company which you belong to.
If you do belong to a company and other companies also assisted, they sponsored it.

For example:
Coaster Building: Freelance
Layout: Sponsored by Company 1
Innovations: None
Theming: Directed by Company 2
Ride Design: None
Image Design: Sponsored by Company 3

(Note: This is the new way to upload coasters into the coaster database.)

This project was done by someone employed by a theming company. A layout design company as well as an image design company provided its services. The coaster was entirely custom and unique to the builder. No innovations or non-coaster ride designs were used.

Because members can only belong to one company, only one company can direct a project. All other company involvement is a sponsorship.

Anything freelance can become sponsored if a company and builder agree to it. For example, if a builder creates a coaster, a coaster company can offer to sponsor it, or the builder can ask a company to sponsor it.

ADDED: If a company wants to patent an idea that is outside of its discipline, it must find a company that does belong to that discipline to produce it. The patent is then tied to both companies. For example, if a coaster company wants to patent a new innovation, the coaster company must find an innovation company to produce it. Then, in the patent library, as well as all projects that use the innovation, it must say "Sponsored by Innovations Company in association with Coaster Company". If you do this, make sure a third party is aware of the deal (preferably someone of high stature on the site), or the innovations company could steal the idea and we would have no way of knowing.

SSCoasters Veteran

The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Coming Eventually.
There's a new storm a-brewin'...
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#2 poizone

poizone

Small Spaces

• 995 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

Can a company go out of business and sell itself off? Say I start a companyand then decide to sell my pieces. The company would no longer have a CEO, and would be financially nonviable. Maybe if the CEO is selling his pieces, he can also state that his company is for sale, and the person with the most pieces bought is also the new owner of the company. That would keep jobs and turn pieces into a kind of closed stock market. It seems like a great way to keep pieces within the community rather than eBay them. And we would be able to incorporate companies as subdivisions.

I see subdivisions as being just companies managed by a member who was part of the buying companies force, and all operations are up to that person. The CEO of the parent company may request work be done by that division, but the division manager has final say. If a freelancer buys the company, they can either disintegrate it, or become the new CEO. And if the company is bought by a company with the same specialty, they are just integrated into the buying company.

Any more questions can be PMed to me. If my idea is put into use, either as general rule, or just in the minds of specific sellers, I need no compensation.

Currently compiling a massive list

#3 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

Also, shouldn't we have a forum for requests? For example, freelance builders could request layouts/logos/theming for a coaster and a company could lend their services. Companies could also request other companies, such as a building company requesting the same things to build a coaster.

As of now, it seems that many company members are only really using their own company services. With requests, you don't have to be tight with a company to be sponsored/directed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#4 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

As of right now, most of that is being handled via PM. Personally I prefer that because I believe all of StoryBoard's involvement with projects is very hush-hush right now. But CC10 and I will talk very soon about any updates that Companies should have.

SSCoasters Veteran

Coming Eventually.
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#5 decaxxeca

decaxxeca

just call me Ten

• 974 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

Creativity and individualism have just died on this site

Posted Image

#6 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

Congratulations, you've TOTALLY missed the idea of the company system! No matter, if you don't like it stay away from it.

-CC10

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#7 decaxxeca

decaxxeca

just call me Ten

• 974 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

The company system kills no masacres individual creativity. If tbm sponsors a coaster that is ok but then a freelance builder makes a good coaster wich one gets more views/comments? The tbm indorsed one. Kmc finally beat ssc in my book there's no spam and no "companies"

Posted Image

#8 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

Dude, you don't get it. Sorry, you're just not seeing the whole picture.

And the freelance construction forum is getting more views than the company construction forum because there are LESS THAN FIVE COASTERS IN THERE. Whatever, it's not worth my time to argue it.

-CC10

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#9 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

We are always trying to come up with new, innovative ideas to give you the members more stuff to do. If you don't like something, then don't participate in it. I really fail to see what point you are trying to make about how individual member's models will be affected.

#10 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

I have to say, I like change...

It is more than just checking the forums now. I get to take part in running a company. It's fun, and you get a lot closer with the members in your company...

-Rct2123:cool:

Posted Image

#11 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

Exactly.

You have the option to choose how you want to build you coasters: under freelance or a company. If you don't like one or the other you still can build your coaster and advertise here. It's not like anyone is forcing you to be a part of a company...you can still build freelance.

I personally never got involved enough in my models to follow it's construction like you would a real coaster, I just never cared to waste my time with that. Same here. If I were still building I would say thanks but no thanks to this company thing. It's just not interesting to me. But I can shut my trap and build my coasters in the freelance section. To each his own.

You don't need to be an idiot and put down the ideas of others just because you think it's lame. Just makes you look like a moron.

*Insert signature here*

#12 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

Not sure if you realize, but just because you join a company, doesn't mean all of your rides and coasters are automatically directed by that company. In essence, you can just join a company to provide additional feedback on company projects.

Plus, some companies don't even specialize in building stuff. Before companies, members would start up different "shops" specializing in stuff such as layouts and signatures. Now, those "shops" are officially recognized by SSC by becoming companies. It's that simple.

If you don't like it, then just build Freelance. I can't speak for the other members, but just because companies have been introduced doesn't mean I haven't been paying any attention to the Freelance forum. Instead, I find myself spending much more time on SSC overall.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

Currently Working On: Calypso

#13 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

I get on very often to look at Aminspec. Since we all work together on projects, it makes it much more fun...

It adds a twist to building...

-Rct2123:cool:

Posted Image

#14 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

I'm getting on SSC a lot more often now since I have my own company. I'm also getting to know other members a lot better from discussing things.

IMO, it adds to the creativity of things since you have more resources to work with and it's easier to discuss projects with other members...

#15 decaxxeca

decaxxeca

just call me Ten

• 974 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hypocrites. "make your own coaster don't ask or ideas" then this? I see how this can work with logo/sig shops but not with coasters and I'm not trying to act like a jerk I'm just stating my opinion. A coaster invention team is a wonderful idea but calling it a "company" sounds like your trying to sell something.

Posted Image

#16 coastermaniac

coastermaniac

Lead Engineer

• 1862 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

Dude, you are not forced to do it.

Get over it and if your not satisfied just get out of here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1|Tatsu 2|KK 3|Montu 4|Medusa 5|Kumba 6|Nitro 7|Goliath 8|Goliath 9|DD:F 10|Excalibur

#17 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

hypocrite - n. a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives

contradiction - n. opposition between two conflicting forces or ideas i.e. "I see how this can work with logo/sig shops but not with coasters" and "A coaster invention team is a wonderful idea"

dramatic irony - n. occurs when the meaning of the situation is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play

Seriously though, what euphemism of "company" would you prefer us to use? If the majority of SSCers did not like the Company idea, do you think we would keep it? Don't you think we want originality and creativity to remain a vital part of SSC? As many stated before, Companies are keeping veterans and retired builders involved with SSC. Companies are meant to assist with coaster models, not control them.

SSCoasters Veteran

Coming Eventually.
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#18 decaxxeca

decaxxeca

just call me Ten

• 974 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

You misunderstood what I ment I was trying to say that a bunch of builders making new inventions is cool but not having them build things just for one coaster

Posted Image

#19 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

You're not making sense, and you're misunderstanding this whole thing. Have you even read the first post of this thread? And seriously, if you don't like it, then you don't have to participate. You seem to be the only person that doesn't like it, and we're not getting rid of it for you.

SSCoasters Veteran

Coming Eventually.
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#20 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

I think what he was trying to mean was that we shouldn't do everything for the builder. I.E not wanting "what should i build" polls.

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta
Coaster Count: 77