construction double helix knex model roller coaster

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

This is what I have so far for my 2nd custom Knex coaster. This is really gonna be a mix of styles. Tubes + Frame, Chainlift and Launched (I'm planning on having RR launchers throughout the course). I'm definatley experimenting with tubes on this one. The next two elements I plan on being a banked corner hill (135 degrees to the left) into interlocking corkscrews. Any ideas on this one?

I also have an annoying curve in the lift track as you can see in the 2nd pic. I can't get rid of it, i think the tower and lift truss are just torqueing diff ways. Should I maybe disconnect the track from the truss and re-connect it? I'm open to suggestions, and criticize at will!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 kne` builder

kne` builder

Architect

• 478 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:47 PM

Bizarro (Six Flags Great Adventure)
try to do it more like this.

Posted Image

Top6 Coasters:
6:Raptor
5:Blue Fire
4:Maverick
3:Top Thrill Dragster
2:Millenium Force
1:Expedition GeForce

Coastercount: 62

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

Man, that is crazy! It has tube supports, yet it looks so old school. I love it, it's very unique. The only thing that you could change is the loop's size, if it was bigger it would keep speed better throughout the rest of the ride. I love your style though!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#4 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

It's funny how every idea has already been taken. I never rode (or saw) Maverick before going to Cedar Point last week, and I started this coaster project 3 weeks prior to going. When I saw Mav's 1st hill I was laughing to myself. Also, I want to have a double corkscrew that overlay's itself to look like a double-helix from the top (thus the name Double helix), and I had never seen Bizzarro @ Six flags NJ's layout until 5 minutes ago...and it features the same element! Also my coaster is similar to Intamin Vertical Lift Coaster, my apologies. I guess i should stop worrying so much about being original, since almost every idea has been used on some coaster somewhere in the world.

#5 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

thank you rollercoasterfanatic919, that gives me confidence. Its funny how you said "unique" right after I said it's tough to be original. Ya, i want the loop to be bigger too, but I had real problems keeping it upright and solid since I'm using only tubes. I'll try to increase the size a little. Do you guys think that the next hill could be bigger than the loop and the train would still make it over?

#6 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

Hey, you should use the 'Edit' button on the lower corner of your post instead of double posting within a few minutes.

And you can keep the loop by setting it aside and building one element before it. Then connect the loop, and you're good...

-OL659-

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#7 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

The only thing that you could change is the loop's size, if it was bigger it would keep speed better throughout the rest of the ride.

Ok, so I changed the loop and made it bigger, and "fixed" it i think. Tried to make the supports look more real. I like it, what do you guys think?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Right now I'm having trouble with the banked hill turn, I test ran and the train only made it about 2/3 the way up. Very dissappointed. Doesn't it look like this layout so far should be working? My 1st drop is 6 ft., The loop is 37", the next hill right now is 35". I don't get it. Is the loop killing my speed? I'm still considering what outerlimits said. IDK. Please any advice will be good, and be critical.

#8 griffon14

griffon14

Drum line captain

• 1517 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

i like it for only your 2nd... the only thing i suggest is make the lift hill stepper, it might look better

Future member of the UNCC Drumline

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intimidator 305
Milf - Maverick - TTD - Dimondback - Griffon - Intimidator - Alpengist - Dominator - Thunderhead

#9 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:26 AM

It's a combination of factors that take away your speed right now. The drop type, tube supports, slightly small loop and an overbank that's almost as tall as the loop all contribute to that. Just make the overbank a bit smaller, you can lose a bit more height than two inches, especially with tube supports....

-OL659-

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#10 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

Uhm, in my oppinion the drop is weird.
Make it more like 1 flowing motion, and also, I think that in real the G-forces on the drop would make your eye-balls pop out, which is a really negative thing.
Also, the loop is really small compared to your drop.
Ah well, not bad for a 2nd coaster...

-Suck.

#11 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hey, as far as the drop is concerned, I like the over ninety degree drop part, but then it just goes straight down for a few feet. try having it gradually go from that over steep drop to flat and not straight. try making it smooth. As far as the loop goes, you could make it higher without even redoing the track. The loop is a bit too circlular, just pull the top up a little more, you want it to be gradual where there is a lot of speed, like near the bottom of the loop, and tighter at the top, where the cars will be moving slower. Think about the poor people!! :)

#12 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

The loop is pretty cool but it is too circular. Make it more teardrop shaped like on Mantis at Cedar point. Also, the drop should be make a lot more nicely and then your coaster will work. Make the drop not have those boxes around the track. Only have a back structure and then you'll be good with the boxes. Second for the drop, make it flow a lot nicer like the Maverick drop are Cedar Point. This should help a lot. Please do this first and make it smooth and the ride will have a ton of speed over the rising turn.

Posted Image

#13 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

Thanks guys, I'm gonna incorporate several of your suggestions.

#14 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

There is no point for the tubes on the lift if the footers are free to move. Connect them to your base.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image