diablo double helix knex coaster

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:55 PM

The straight section is probably coming from the track itself, not the supports. In that case, all you need to do is adjust the crossties. If you're using stiff rods as track strengtheners, those could also create the straight spot.

#22 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

Nice, that first element reminds me of burrito speeds second element your tubes are really nice. you've got quite a few strait spots in the first element tho try to work those out.

About the cork screw like steel said it could be a matter of jsut twisting all the crossties in th correct dirrection, If that doesn't help. Take off all the flexies then take off the side tubing leve only the mid tubing on the crossties shape it just right as you put the tubing back on. Then carefully put on your flexies.

#23 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

This coaster is looking epic. My only concern is if you'll have enough speed to make it back to the station. In the pictures, it looks really far away.

#24 dk36870

dk36870

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

This coaster is looking epic. My only concern is if you'll have enough speed to make it back to the station. In the pictures, it looks really far away.

Yeah what the stig said. Looks like its about 3-4 feet away from your station.

Hope you can make it

#25 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:12 AM

Posted Image
secret project!

on a serious note, i dont think you'll ever make it bac to the station/lift. I would sugest having the immelman's pullout exit the other way and then put in the corks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#26 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

^ or maybe, he will use it for after the corkscrew and make a bigger layout. I really like that shaping on the coaster. You are doing really well with tubes.

#27 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

Your coaster looks pretty nice, but i think i don't like the drop of the lift, it's the only thing which isn't very realistic in this ride, for the rest it just looks awesome

-=TK=-

Posted Image

#28 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

^ or maybe, he will use it for after the corkscrew and make a bigger layout. I really like that shaping on the coaster. You are doing really well with tubes.

Well, blackkitty called me out, and Jonny has it correct. Stig, The actual distance right now from end of cork to lift is about 12 ft, in a straight line!

I will be using 1 maybe 2 boosters in this layout which, btw, is only about half way done. I was planning on using boosters from the beginning, i bought 2 RR sets (mostly for the track) and really want to put these boosters to some use, even if it ruines this ride for some who i know do not like RR boosters, to them I am sorry.

I was just testing 3 cars thru a 2-booster launch on my "secret project" and it launches the damn train over 9 greens straight up! That's a little too tall for tubes and it would look funny in my layout, but one booster only shoots the train about 3 greens up. So i will most likely use 2 boosters and slow the train down a bit (7 greens?), then my plan is:

Large hill or large zero-g, overbank, cobra roll, something else, and back to the station. Why do you think I said it won't be done until late November? LOL, i'll probably need more parts before this one is over. I do feel that for my second coaster, and my 1st to have any inversions, and my first time building with tubes, it's coming along well, but i think i went overboard and should have just done something a little smaller. But hell?? I got tons of "C" batteries lying around just dying to be used! Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

#29 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

wow thats sick

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#30 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

wow thats sick

Hey, this is off topic for this thread, but I notice that you are an MCC employee (or the owner). Is that a company? Is it a division of SSC or like a group of people on here who make custom knex coasters? I don't understand how these companies work..//edited// ya i just read the Company forum stuff so i get it now.

#31 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:07 AM

Hey, this is off topic for this thread, but I notice that you are an MCC employee (or the owner). Is that a company? Is it a division of SSC or like a group of people on here who make custom knex coasters? I don't understand how these companies work...like dutch details or steelway inventions or the suck crew. Do you guys work together in person on models or just by communicating over the forums? How does one get hired into a company? How does one start a company? Probably a topic for a noob forum or general discussion, sorry. oh ya, and did MCC make models of all these:?
Nitro~Fahrenheit~Millenium Force~Bizzaro~Storm Runner~Kingda Ka~TTD~Maverick

I'm the owner and no, we did not make those coasters. If you have questions Joqumpie is your man for that.

#32 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

Well, blackkitty called me out, and Jonny has it correct. Stig, The actual distance right now from end of cork to lift is about 12 ft, in a straight line!

I will be using 1 maybe 2 boosters in this layout which, btw, is only about half way done. I was planning on using boosters from the beginning, i bought 2 RR sets (mostly for the track) and really want to put these boosters to some use, even if it ruines this ride for some who i know do not like RR boosters, to them I am sorry.

I was just testing 3 cars thru a 2-booster launch on my "secret project" and it launches the damn train over 9 greens straight up! That's a little too tall for tubes and it would look funny in my layout, but one booster only shoots the train about 3 greens up. So i will most likely use 2 boosters and slow the train down a bit (7 greens?), then my plan is:

Large hill or large zero-g, overbank, cobra roll, something else, and back to the station. Why do you think I said it won't be done until late November? LOL, i'll probably need more parts before this one is over. I do feel that for my second coaster, and my 1st to have any inversions, and my first time building with tubes, it's coming along well, but i think i went overboard and should have just done something a little smaller. But hell?? I got tons of "C" batteries lying around just dying to be used! Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

easy fix: turn this into a blitz coaster, with boosters on the lift and launch track, this way you can use all of your boosters and still have a longer layout

Posted Image

#33 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

hmmm, but that would mean I need to modify 2 more boosters and i wouldn't be able to use my electric motor pack. Maybe...i kind of like waiting for the cars going up the hill on a lift...it adds to the suspense. But i might make the lift hill steeper.

#34 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

wow! I'm amazed.

Posted Image

#35 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

More to come on this soon...I just finished my new brake mechanism that is in place before the launch. Although I love KBC's friction brakes, they just didn't slow my train down enough. After messing around with 1 booster, 2 boosters, brakes before launch, brakes after launch, and no brakes, (uugh), the brake before a 2-booster launch works best, its more realistic too. the launch now brings the train up to about 7.5 green rods, perfect for the next element.

#36 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

Okay, after some CD building for a contest, I've started building this damn thing again. Seriously, this is not a dead thread...even though it may seem like it. I just keep running out of parts...mostly long grey rods, plus i am probably a bit of a slow builder. Also, it's about 40* in my unheated garage these days, making work slow.

But anyway...LATEST UPDATE ON LDD:

Since last post I have finished the cork, then an overbank into the launch. The launch took a long time to get right, and currently i am using brakes after the launch that were designed i believe by Steelspectrum or Jogumpie, so I am now asking permission to use those (flexi-rod brakes).
Then I completed a large zero-g roll, and a huge overbank thru the loop. Next to come is a drop into a cobra roll tucked under the zero-g.

Pics:

cork into overbank and launch:
Posted Image
the power behind the second half of the ride:
Posted Image
Posted Image
The zero-G:
Posted Image
Posted Image
The third overbank:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thru the loop:
Posted Image

Thats all for now. Comments are welcomed on how to properly bank and drop this "thru the loop" curve down and under the zero-g in prep for a cobra roll.

#37 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

Do a 0-G roll though the 0-G roll! It will look epic!

Edit: Yes, quote me on that!

Formally RK500

#38 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

That is the single best tube zero-g-roll ever made! :)

#39 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Man, you're better than most members that have been here for years. I cant believe how good this is, how many sets do you have cause you seem to have a lot more knex than I do.

#40 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

Man, you're better than most members that have been here for years. I cant believe how good this is, how many sets do you have cause you seem to have a lot more knex than I do.

I really thank you for the comment but I still feel i have alot of improving to do...mostly in the technical aspects (innovation) like launches, invert designs, brakes, auto-gates, etc. (Invertigo blew my mind -the innovation of it). But i think i have tubes down pretty good! Can i ask what you like most about LDD?

Bout the sets...I have 7 SS and 2 RR. But I bought a ton of lots off ebay, rods, connectors, track, so many of my parts came from those. It's hard to say exactly how many parts or sets I actually have.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diablo, double helix, knex coaster