• Please log in to reply
479 replies to this topic

#41 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

Actually right answer.

I haven't talked to Gump yet but I want to be there when he is going to fit the parts together so I can start working on the electronics.

Yes, but I was talking about the final location;)

#42 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

Yes, but I was talking about the final location;)

We are fairly sure we can get a spot there but we haven't had a confirmation, if it proves to be TOO big we will have to make a smaller version :P

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#43 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

Are you planning to take it to an expo? Or maybe a theme park like Efteling?

Those outer rings really show how massive it will be!

#44 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

Are you planning to take it to an expo? Or maybe a theme park like Efteling?

Those outer rings really show how massive it will be!

Most things Gump builds are for expo's now.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

*Shakes Head* Unbelievable.

-RCT2123

Posted Image

#46 Millcreek47

Millcreek47

BANNED

• 1186 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

You sure little plastic pieces can support this massive wheel? Especially that core?

Posted Image
(Sig under construction)

-----XBL Gamertag - I were Speshul-----

Top 5: Time Machine, The Incredible Hulk, Goliath, Dueling Dragons, Georgia Scorcher

#47 dk36870

dk36870

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

Those "little Plastic pieces" are being used by a master of K'nex technically speaking. Nice rings btw cant wait to see a full ring! any idea of how you will deal with the stress of building up the support rings?

cant wait to see how this will go!

-King of Sleep, dk36870

#48 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

The idea is to use wheels for extra support around the bottom of the wheel, those might also be used to power the wheel, yet this is still being discussed between me and Gump. It depends if the wheel sags a lot. The axle will be from steel ofcourse.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

That's your idea. I think that the wheels that are used for powering the wheel should NOT be used as supports.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#50 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure it couldn't do any good...
I think the wheel will get misshaped if you do so...

#51 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:49 PM

^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure it couldn't do any good...
I think the wheel will get misshaped if you do so...

I don't see how a circular shape with sturdy spokes will miss-shape easily. The entire rim is rigid too.

If you are going to power the wheel with wheels there must be some pressure on them. Of course you are not putting the entire weight on them it will break your axles.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

Well of course part of the wheel's weight is covered by the powering wheels, but this should not be more than just one or a few percents.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#53 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

^ so this is top of the support is going to support the hub of the wheel (i.e. the height is only a little bigger than the radius??) ? Where are you going to build that wheel?

^kittykat, I hate those grey and purple connectors coming apart on me! You never noticed that.

Gumpmaster Knexer extreme -> What do you do when you need a true 3D connector. i.e. one that allows you to connect stuff in all 3 planes? I've come across a few situations where I wish I could do that.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#54 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

I determine which planes are the most important, as you cannot connect stuff in three planes with ordinary 3D connectors. However, there are special pieces (click) that will allow you to do that. If you take a good look at the columns I have built, you can see I am using diagonals in all three planes. This is because I alternate the orientation of the 3D connectors.

I will be putting the supports in the backyard once I have all the parts ready for that. I will need to build more foundations and lateral braces and once that has been done, I can take it outside. Once that has been done, I can put on part of the outer ring and determine the exact length the tube supports need to be.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#55 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

thanks, gotta get me some of those special pieces!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#56 TheCodeMaster

TheCodeMaster

Resident Nolimits 2 Expert

• 761 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

Looks great Gump!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[18-07, 09:16] SCM: I only see 14 inversions. There's supposed to be 14 inversions.

STEEL VENOM - DRAGON - JAWHARP - ARMAGEDDON - ICE - CEREBUS - DIABLO - STEEL VENOM - THE REVENGE - CLIFFHANGER - FALCON - SMILER - ALTON TOWERS

Construction zone:

None

#57 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

So is this gonna break the record?? And is a knex electric motor gonna power it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#58 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

thats awesome. looks like its going to be way over 10 feet. and Maxlaam, use LED's, Red, Blue, and Green, then use some program to control them.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#59 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

thats awesome. looks like its going to be way over 10 feet. and Maxlaam, use LED's, Red, Blue, and Green, then use some program to control them.

Sound to me like:

"Maxlaam, let's spend another 400 euros on electronics and find a way to power 2000 LED's with a single power supply." :P

No not going to happen. I'm going to use up-lighting. This way I can give the entire wheel a different colour and still have it look cool. If I would have to power each spoke on a 4 meter wheel I would need way too many LED's for a single time build. It's simply not worth the money. Besides Blue leds are already very expensive by themselves. I've considered buying a simple LED kit with a star on it or something similar and have the at the top where the supports meet.

I'm just going to get some high bright LED's White, Red, Green (Yellow and Blue too?) and use the PWM controls on my Arduino make them flicker and dim all the time. Should give a nice effect.

Phase took a lot of money and I still haven't recovered from it. The expo's didn't pay enough to get the costs out of it.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

I have some pictures to show you. Saturday evening Charlotte and I decided to set up the supports for the wheel and as you can see, they are massive! I ended up not having enough pieces (3D connectors) for lateral supports on the other side, but here's some good news: I am buying new pieces once again. This Friday I will pick up an SS for 30 euro's (which is a rather cheap deal here in the Netherlands) and a BBF for 20 euro's (which usually sell for 100 euro's). The BBF will make it able to construct lateral supports for the other side. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jogumpie, 05 September 2013 - 01:54 AM.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg