[NOT SO] GREAT IDEA

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

For those of you who, when it snows, build coasters in the snow, I have come up with a brilliant idea (So modest). When you are done building your coaster, take your cars inside. Then carefully tape hand warmers [or hot paks] to the bottom (inside) of your cars. This adds both weight, and keeps your cars warm so they perform to the best of their ability. And I believe I will call these SUCK cars, because The SUCK Crew had the idea [in Blackkitty's thread] to invent train warmers. Tell me if they work!
-pianoman910

#2 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

Suck posted that idea in my thread thank you very much.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

My mistake (blushes).

#4 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

Honestly, this idea is stupid. Why would you even build a coaster in the snow? Get your K'nex dirty and damage your cars? Warming them will not solve the problem of damaging them.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

^ Umm, people do that. I believe The_Burrito_Master did it. You should check that out.

#6 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

Lollollollol, this is such a great idea...
Besides, isn't this "my" idea?
And, I thought this up as a joke, I mean, come on!
Building a coaster in the snow is possible, but it isn't smart.
I got another awesome idea: Coldness freezes your tubing, which makes it stronger.
Why wouldn't we just put icepacks on the cars, so the track freezes o.0
That sounds just as genius to me:)

But now for real pianoman, building a coaster in the snow isn't really a good idea.
Ít ruins your knex, and unless you have 30 ss-cars, it would cost to many of them to be worth of it.

-Suck.

#7 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

I didn't say do it. But I know that there are people who do that. And this idea is for them. And the ice pack would make the cars cold. And the cars are what we want to keep warm. Because cold ruins the cars. A nice cold track with hot cars = perfect coaster. Lol.

#8 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

^ Uhg... Why doesn't anybody understand that I'm kidding???
Come on, ice packs on cars?!?!?
I realize that thats one of the most stupid ideas ever.
Warming-packs on cars? That wasn't serious either.
What about keeping our coasters roomtemperature?

#9 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

^Lol. I thought you were serious. I think it would be easier to tell sarcasm in person.

#10 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

Honestly, this idea is stupid. Why would you even build a coaster in the snow? Get your K'nex dirty and damage your cars? Warming them will not solve the problem of damaging them.

I agree, but some people are into it. Look at the past.

-RCT2123

Posted Image

#11 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:03 PM

I could post a facepalm but then i might get banned......

i would never build in the snow its horrible for you knex. and if the snow blows around well then there gos your layout

#12 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

lol whats the difference between warm and cold? The plastic may contract more than metal but, that doesn't matter at all. metal expands like 1 inch for a mile if it's 80* as apposed to 30*.

#13 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

agree with all, except for putting your coasters in the snow, but cant that make parts freeze together as well(until they thaw??) if you want snow, why not use artificial snow, or something else? btw, thermal shock for plastic never ends very well.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#14 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:30 PM

^^ Lubricant gets harder, it does make a lot of difference, believe me.

#15 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

As a gimmick building a "snow coaster" would be kinda cool and funny (even i have thought of it), but certainly NOT practical. Besides getting your knex dirty and wet, the trains would not operate efficiently. Just a little tiny bit of snow on the track and you would lose mad speed. Aftre all, there's a reason why six flags and cedar point are not open year-round.

Edit: ^actually some silicone lubes are supposed to work fine to like -30* F, but i would say in general i agree that normal temps are good for the lube.

#16 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:25 AM

^^goliath always preformed better when it was cold, the track gets very stiff, and usually the lubricant that you put on your wheels evaporates almost instantly it's the residue it leaves behind that matters.

^^^cause artificial snow cant do crap compared to a 4 foot volacano that the coaster is zigzagging through.

Just an FYI after MF i was planning to make a terrain coaster.

#17 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

XenoX doesn't make the track anymore in the morning or the evening because it cools down in the house. So heat does make a difference.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:26 AM

If I lived where it snowed, I would build a snow coaster every single year. In my opinion, the hand-warmer idea might actually help.

#19 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

I think if you made a terrain coaster, and it made the layout in the house, but not outside. This might work. The only problem I think is that it might melt the snow under/around the track if its there for a few seconds every lap, like brakes and station. the problem for building a terrain coaster up here in MN is the wind. We dug paths in the 2 foot snow, then a few hours later they were gone. Same with our footprints all around the snow.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#20 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Lol, and then you're all like: " Huh?! Wheres my coaster? It was right here just a minute ag... DANG I STEPPED ON IT!" ;)