[NOT SO] GREAT IDEA

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

Reading this thread made me think of making a BEACH COASTER?!?!?!?!?
You would just have to be really carefull not to get any sand in your cars. or just make a layout where it would be really easy to make the entire layout, so you could use old or broken cars.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#22 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Pretty much! But on a non windy day it might work.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#23 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

First off, let me say that I never thought this thread would stay at the top of the list for 3 days. Second, I'm not saying I do this terran thing, but there ar epeople who like to do it. This thread is for people who need so car warmth.

#24 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

I seriously doubt hand warmers taped inside the car would make any difference whatsoever.

First, those things don't generate that much heat in open air, work fine in a glove or boot. Next time it is cold out open one of those things up and let start to warm. Then put it on a cold surface and hold your ungloved hand an inch from it. I doubt your hand is going to be very warm. Then consider the coaster is going to be moving and that little bit of heat is going to be dispersed very quickly.

Secondly, the only place the temperature makes any difference is where the wheels meet the axles and the temp of any lube you might have on those surfaces. Heating the plastic body of the car will do nothing.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#25 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

^ besides, isn't there a better possibility of the hand warmers falling out of the cars, and then jamming it up too?

**(if this is considered as "bumping" just tell me and then delete this post)

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#26 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

You post should be fine since it's <1 month old and you are contributing to the conversation.
Honestly, I still think this idea is worth a try! I'd test it myself but it's not cold enough where I live.

#27 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

XenoX doesn't make the track anymore in the morning or the evening because it cools down in the house. So heat does make a difference.

I just think your train is sleeping at that time.

I think temperatures a few degrees below zero aren't that much of a problem. But it depends when you make your coaster.

If you make it on room temperature and put it in the cold, the train might not make it anymore. But make it in the cold and it will.
And the same goes if you do it the other way around.

As for lubricant, just check on the can what it says about temperatures and pick the right one.

#28 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

lol if knex falls into the sand you will never see it again 0.0

wardcc-2.png

#29 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

^ did you learn it from experience?

I still dont think handwarmers are a good idea. Its probably better to keep your cars inside, then when you want to use your outdoor coaster, put the cars on, then take them off when they slow down and bring them in inside. Simple and easy.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.