• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#41 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

We have to use 5 crossties per flexi?

No, he is just telling you that you can make a decent coaster with just 5 x-ties per flexi. You can stuff as many X-ties on a flexi as you want. As long as you keep the total X-ties used under 200.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

Dang..... I've should of had finished Cryogenicist and then started Blizzard. :( Waste of time!
I'm going to enter.

Crostie count is going to be the hardest...... or maybe the theaming..... ;)

Formally RK500

#43 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

i wish i could try, but no i have to do a stupid school project instead. hopefully there's another competition like this in the future?

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#44 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

There is one every year.

Posted Image

#45 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

yes! =] hopefully ill compete in one soon. im pretty good with small coasters.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#46 CCC

CCC

ChristianCoasterCreator

• 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

I have some ideas... >: )

Coasters Are My Hobby
Jesus Is My Life

Posted Image

My YouTube Page

#47 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

^^It would be the standard yellow equivalent in micro pieces (red I believe).

Nope. Purple.

#48 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

^But micro purple is equal to a standard yellow. If the area was 100 purple squares, there would be no change in area. This is what I have in mind.

Standard | Micro
Green | Black
White | Yellow
Blue | Grey
Yellow | Red
Red | Purple
Grey | Blue
2 Reds | Orange

While the red micro does not equal the standard yellow if you try to hook it up, the relation to the other pieces in a grid would make red the yellow equivalent. Am I right?

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#49 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:18 AM

Almost...

http://www.sscoaster...063/#post277932

The micro black rod doesn't translate to any standard rod. It's kind of an 'exclusive' micro piece.

^Yes. 100 yellow squares (standard) is the same size as 100 purple squares (micro)

Posted Image

EDIT: ooh. I failed, like, twice.... Yeah, red squares are good.

#50 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:30 AM

^Again, that is in length though when you try to attach them together. That is not what I'm trying to accomplish here. We're trying to find an acceptable, reduced area for slim track coasters.

Look at the image I posted above. The Vertical Vengence rods are colored the same as the metallic standard rods, with their re-done, corrected rods below them. That is the system I'm going off of. If I make a triangle with the shortest rod (green/black) possible for the sides, I would use then next shortest (white/yellow) as the hypotenuse. Then using that rod for the sides, the next (blue/grey) would be the long side. Then it'd be yellow/red (standard/micro). Are we on the same page now?

We aren't finding which rod would give the same area for 100 yellows squared, we're trying to find a reasonable reduced area.

SSCoasters Staff

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

#51 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:26 AM

^Again, that is in length though when you try to attach them together. That is not what I'm trying to accomplish here. We're trying to find an acceptable, reduced area for slim track coasters.

Look at the image I posted above. The Vertical Vengence rods are colored the same as the metallic standard rods, with their re-done, corrected rods below them. That is the system I'm going off of. If I make a triangle with the shortest rod (green/black) possible for the sides, I would use then next shortest (white/yellow) as the hypotenuse. Then using that rod for the sides, the next (blue/grey) would be the long side. Then it'd be yellow/red (standard/micro). Are we on the same page now?

We aren't finding which rod would give the same area for 100 yellows squared, we're trying to find a reasonable reduced area.

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I'm used to working with red rods as a standard rod so this will make it easier. This is going to be an interesting contest. :)

#52 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

I think that I will try this when we move. I will finally have room to build. I think I will start late January.

#53 Aaron

Aaron

Keep Harpin' On

• 636 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

The 200 cross tie rule sounds great, especially since I only have 1 RR and most of a SS. But I have a question. How do I enter? I have never been in a build off contest and I don't know how to enter. Thanks!

#54 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

You build your coaster, and some time next year there will be an entering thread.

Posted Image

#55 Aaron

Aaron

Keep Harpin' On

• 636 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

Okay, thanks. Too bad it's over in March, thats a long time to wait. I'm already like a fifth way done and its only been 3 hours since I started building. So far it's only 22 yellow squares (19 one row 3 the other) and 7 yellows tall with lift, drop and immleman.

#56 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:15 AM

As long as it is finished between the announcement and the ending date (and meets the qualifications), you can enter it. You don't have to finish it in March, someone could have finished theirs already and it still qualifies.

SSCoasters Staff

#57 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

1 straight vv track has 9 "crossties" and is 410mm (1'-4") long.

150-200 micro crossties is 16-22 track segments.
6.56m-9.02m (between 21'-30')

#58 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:52 AM

i should join.
maybe i'll make a circular lift.

-HamenChiz-

Posted Image
Posted Image

#59 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:26 AM

^^Nice, that is an interesting thing to know Stig! Solves the problem for VV coasters.

New rule for VV coasters: not more than 22 track segments.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#60 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:54 AM

^ Can i join a coaster that has a circular lift.

Posted Image
Posted Image