NLCOTM contest - April 2011

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hey guys, let's do another NLCotm for this feb. I am organizing/starting it right now. If you want to be in, simply reply to this thread saying you're in.

The deadline will be APRIL 1st. At that time you will have pics/video showing your completed NL coaster. No longer valid!!! - I am only going to put 3 restrictions on this: NO launches, NO vertical lifts, NO beyond-90* drops. I want this to be a more "traditional" roller coaster type. It can be looper or giga, flying, sitdown, inverted, whatever. Your 1st hill can be 500 ft tall if you want, and your layout can be as long or short as you like - no longer valid!!! Please read futher on in the thread for the actual contest rules!!

I think the rides should be judged on realism, smoothness, aesthetics, support work, timing (whether the ride really would work with the number of trains riding on it?), and realistic vert. and horizontal g-forces.

If anyone has other ideas for what to judge on, please put your 2 cents in. Is this deadline do-able?

-CD33

PS. -- please do not submit rides that are already completed. Works-in-progress are ok, as long as they meet the requirements and they aren't already almost done. We will just have to go with the honor system on that last one.

#2 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

I might decide to enter, although actually finishing on time is a whole 'nother story.

I also think this contest would be MUCH better if you gave it more restrictions, like made it a certain ride type with other rules too. Or you could do what someone else did and make a template--it had terrain and the station and launch already made, then we had to build off it. I really liked that.

#3 da master826

da master826

Friend of GLaDOS

• 1306 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

I'd certainly like to join, though I may not finish. And yes we need some more guidelines besides no vertical stuff or launches.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image
Intimidator305, El Toro, Maverick, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Top Thrill Dragster

#4 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Yup yup. I'll have a go!

John 3:16

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

Ok, i guess you guys are right. How about this: It needs to be a giga/hyper terrain (or terraformed) coaster. I saw something like it that inspired me on the NL pre-made tracks (except that one used a launch.) No launches allowed. No vert. lifts, no beyond 90* drops.
More restrictions:
Maximum 3 trains
Maximum 9 cars per train
Ride time - maximum 3 minutes - full circuit, from leaving station to arriving back at station
The first drop must be at least 280 ft from the top of the lift to the bottom of the pullout.
The ride must have a MCBR!
Maximum speeds cannot exceed 153 km/hr or 95 mph
Your speed coming into the last brake before station cannot exceed 56 km/hr or 35 mph
The ride can ONLY have 2 brakes, including the MCBR.
I think that's enough restrictions. I just thought people would not like restrictions. But 1st, is it fair to require terraforming? Does everyone entering know how to use it?
Let me know what you think of this. I do not know how to make a template, so i guess i can't do that.

#6 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

I've only used terraforming once but I guess I could figure it out. I can always hit the 'random' button until I find something I like ;)

By the way, I like the new rules too.

#7 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

Is this how he did the template thing? We don't have to use this, i was just experimenting, to see if you guys can open it.

BTW, i think given the fact that i am still finishing my LDD final vid, and the winter contest is in full swing, that i will extend the deadline for this until April 1st. It will be an april fools contest!

#8 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

By hyper, I suppose that means that we can do something like this:

Posted Image

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 da master826

da master826

Friend of GLaDOS

• 1306 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Is this how he did the template thing? We don't have to use this, i was just experimenting, to see if you guys can open it.

Yeah that opens fine. Are we allowed to use 3rd party tools like Newton?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image
Intimidator305, El Toro, Maverick, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Top Thrill Dragster

#10 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

Maximum 3 trains

The ride can ONLY have 2 brakes, including the MCBR.

I smell a flaw in the rules if you want the coaster to be realistic. Unless you make a switch track with supports (theming.)

Block sections would be as following:

- Station
- Lift
- MCBR
- Brakerun

This would result in a very choppy coaster where all the parts between the block sections need to be fine tuned like mad. Usually big coasters have 2 sets of brakes that follow one another before the station. Where the first brakerun would not be a complete stop but something like magnetic brakes to slow the train down gently, then the next set of brakes halts it completely.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

^I agree. That is what I am planning to do, if chaindogg33 allows it.

BTW this is my first ever hypercoaster that isn't B&M on NoLimits. I am looking forward to entering!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

Ok, your MCBR can be a brake immediatley before the last brake then if you want, it can be anywhere. K? ohh and 3rd party tools are fine, yup.

PLus deadline is gonna def. be April 1st.

-CD33

Posted Image

#13 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

If I have the time, I'm in!

Posted Image

#14 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:24 AM

Hey guys, just a reminder that this contest is still going on (or at least i have been working on mine). The deadline is still April 1st and anyone is welcome to enter. Are you guys still in on this?

Here's the final rules again: Please read them as they have changed slightly:

It needs to be a giga/hyper, terrain or terraformed coaster.
No launches allowed. No vert. lifts, no beyond 90* drops.

More restrictions:
Maximum 3 trains
Maximum 9 cars per train
Ride time - maximum 3 minutes - full circuit, from leaving station to arriving back at station
(station wait time does not count toward this time limit.)
The first drop must be at least 280 ft from the top of the lift to the bottom of the pullout.
Maximum speeds cannot exceed 153 kph or 95 mph
The ride can ONLY have 3 brakes, including the MCBR (if you use one) and station brake.

Your speed coming into the station brake cannot exceed 72.4 kph or 45 mph. I made this speed higher because before it was way too slow and not "fitting" for a giga. If you place a 2nd brake immediately before the station brake, then your speed coming into THAT brake cannot exceed 88.5 kph or 55 mph. (this is to make it fair for the guys who do not want to use an MCBR, which is probably all of you)

I will create a new thread called, "NLCOTM - April entry thread", and this is where I would like everyone to enter thier model so the thread is clean. Thanks and good luck!!

-CD33

Posted Image

#15 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

heres a preview of mine...
Posted Image

wardcc-2.png

#16 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:43 AM

BUT WAIT, IS ANYBODY GOING TO JOIN THIS CONTEST, IF YOU ARE SAY IT PLEASE I AM WORKING QUITE HARD AND I WANT TO KNOW THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON

wardcc-2.png

#17 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

I will enter 2.

Posted Image

#18 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

I will enter 2.

You know the due date is tomorrow?

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

You know the due date is tomorrow?

Yes and I finished mine now.

Posted Image

#20 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

Ya guys sorry i didn't post anymore in this thread i was using the other thread i created, the contest ENTRY thread, to post updated into. My bad. No wait...not my bad...i told you guys about it above. Anyway...so far i really like the tranformers theme...awesome logo! And jespercoasters, i saw your entry yesterday and i do like it, although this was supposed to be a "terraformed" ride, but i'll let it slide since i don't think too many people are entering. Good work so far! Enter your models by the end of the day, and one more thing, i will be away for today and tomorrow morning so there will be no posts from me.

Someone is going to have to help me create the poll once this is over and i guess voting should start next week.

[EDIT]!! One more thing. The rules have changed again. You can now use up to 3 brakes (including the station brake). This is so that the block count is right to have 3 trains.

Also, the deadline has been pushed out to April 15th!

Wardcoasterz, could you post an update for yout transformers coaster? It looks awesome man!

-CD33

Posted Image