coaster finch kevyn230 knex tube

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:09 AM

Well, another coaster by me. After starting last year in summer on Oblivion, I have finish it! So I am starting fresh with a new coaster, while I wait for Maxlaam to finish the awesome final video for Oblivion (thanks Max). So I am now starting fresh with my new tube supported coaster (which will be constructed in my room) called 'Finch'. I think 'spitty' is working on the sig for it but I havn't talked about it since. Stig has also made me a layout for it

Posted Image

OK the main problem is, I don't know what style base to do it. I don't know if it should be flat (so I know I won't run out of peices) or boxed up (so it is easier to build)? Here are the pictures of me using the boxed up sort of base:

Posted Image

It is going to be 16x10, but the thing is I only have 100 yellows left...

Posted Image

So, I can carry on with doing it and use some of my granites, or just make it flat?

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#2 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:59 AM

When you're building with tubes I advice to use a 'double' base, I think there's no need to if you build with boxes. If you build double, please use half moons with a white in between instead of those ladder connections. Also put diagonals both in the lower and upper layer.

Posted Image

#3 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

OK... I did what Marteen12 said and I have made it 'double' but the thing is, I have run out of Yellows and I don't want to go through my Granites. So I have 2 options and I can

1: Make the 'Double box' follow the track, Eg: RCExtreme VV invert

2: Make a single but use 3D connectors to hold it up Eg: LaMbChOpZ's Winter Coaster

Please comment because I would like to get on with this coaster!

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#4 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

I would use the double box. When I was playing around with tubes it seemed to be the strongest to me because it is easy to make strong connections to you supports. I would just have it follow that track because you wont need it in places with no track or supports.

#5 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

I agree, keep the double-base but only use it where you have supports.

#6 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

commando: OK, I will use the double box. :)

~stεεlspectrum~: Pretty much the same with commando.

So I am following what stεεl and commando said and using the double box thingy-majigy. Well the pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comment!!!

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#7 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

Is this for the winter contest? Or not? The way your connecting the first tube support of the lift is way wrong, it could slide down through the connector, or the connector will just snap down under pressure. Fix that.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#8 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:44 AM

An easy fix for that is to take two grey half-3d connectors and attach them to the blue 3ds on either end of the tube. Then take a green rod + ladder connector + small grey connector, and wedge it in between the 3ds (but don't actually connect it). That should push them apart and keep your tube intact.

#9 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

Knexrule11: I think I have fixed now with ~stεεlspectrum~ help.

~stεεlspectrum~ : OK, I have done what you have said and I think I have got it

OK, not a big update on the coaster but there is a big update on the coaster. I have moved my bedroom to a bigger room but I have a smaller area because of what I have in my room. This means I won't be able to go with the layout and I have to do a new layout (sorry stig if your reading this)...

Also, I see many other tube supported coaster and I see there supporting is very wide out, and it looks like I am over supporting it. Here are the pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comment please! :)

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#10 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:03 AM

Sorry for the DP but I do have the lift finished. The pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comment!

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#11 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

I like it! just one question though, are your cars weighted? In your pictures it doesn't look like it. Also, I would use a single gear at the top instead of double gears to avoid rubbing.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#12 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

^ I will put the single gear at the top now and also, I havn't weighted the cars and I don't plan to. I just don't really like weighting my cars but I will lube them. If I have too I will.

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#13 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

Those supports for the lift look exactly like the ones I used for my lift before I terminated the lift and turned it into a launch.

It looks really good so far, but I would suggest making an A fram for the lift hills, not only are they strong if you build them correct, but they also will allow the chain lift to go throught them withouth having to thread it all throughout the supports for the lift.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#14 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

Those supports for the lift look exactly like the ones I used for my lift before I terminated the lift and turned it into a launch.

It looks really good so far, but I would suggest making an A fram for the lift hills, not only are they strong if you build them correct, but they also will allow the chain lift to go throught them withouth having to thread it all throughout the supports for the lift.

I have got a frame on the lift if you look really close. Thanks anyway! :)

Well I am doing the turn and I am finiding this really hard and challenging but that all the thing's I should experiance on becoming a good builder. I just need a few tips on supporting on connect the tubes to the track (pictures do help aswell). The pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I might bank it a little more but what do you think? Comment!

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#15 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

It could use a lot more banking, but the supports look great.

Posted Image

#16 kyo

kyo

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

cool, you mixed two roller coasters?

Signature removed, it was too large

#17 RCExtreme

RCExtreme

Entry Engineer

• 851 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

It needs a lot more banking, and I think it should start turning sooner. And LaMbChOpZ was talking about the supports, not the lift spine. A-frame supports are like this: /\

#18 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:58 AM

If you look at basilisk rail the supports went vertically up, and I did the same on mine, and it worked quite well

#19 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

Sniggeh: I have put more banking but I am doubting I am going to put more because of the track breaks the connection with the tube if I put any more

Kyo: No, it is only a Hyper Coaster or if you mean something else, it is not a dueling coaster

RCExtreme: I have added the banking. I did try making the turn become sooner the track becomes strained and brakes the connections from the tube to the track. If I have enough peices at the end of the ride, I will put the 'A Frame' supports on it (trying to conserve peices).

MichealG: They do work well, yes.

Well I have finished the whole turn and I am working on the transition to the other turn. Don't mind the un-supported track at the end:

Banked turn
Posted Image

Full turn
Posted Image

Transition
Posted Image

Comment!

EDIT: I see there is no banking on the transition and I will fix that...

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#20 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

Sorry for the DP, but know I have done soo much more than I normally done so I wanted to show you. Thanks to Jumpge and Suck for helping me on this part pointing out sharp points (when in chat).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comment please! :D

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress