dark hyper knex sky

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:12 AM

Nerds FTW! i know basic electronics and can fix computers and cant forget WoW and coasters and knex also.

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#22 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

i´m a nerd....in school and a bit in coasters.

#23 coasterfanatic11

coasterfanatic11

Who said that?!?

• 1190 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

I don't really fit in any category...
I get good grades in school, but I don't even try to get them. Most of the people in the top 10 at my school study a lot, but I don't, so I guess I'm not a complete nerd. On the other hand, I enjoy building, and speedcubing, which are nerd-ish activities.
I'm not a geek, because I don't know craploads of weird stuff about computers, or how to fix them, or anything like that.
I'm not a jock, because I only play one sport, and my life doesn't revolve completely around it.
I'm also very musically talented. I play alto sax very well, played tenor for one song in jazz band last year, and kinda play soprano. On the day of our district contest, our feature player got sick, so I played the feature for him. It was my first time playing a soprano sax, and I had 2 hours to practice... I also play guitar, and piano (by ear, meaning I can't read sheet music.)

So yeah, I don't really fit in with any particular group. I'm not a total nerd, geek, jock, or musician/band geek...

-cf11 :cool:

Posted Image

^props to CAC!^

Check out Semeru!

#24 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

Do you consider yourself to be a nerd or geek?

This is not what society says you are, but rather what you think yourself is.

In Flemish, the word "nerd" has a bad connotation, while in Dutch, it's more like a title.

I can't deny that I know more about computers than an average user, that I use them whenever I'm home. (Sounds more like an addict.)
What does that make me?

I don't know exactly what "geek" exactly means, but I know where to put it.
Would rather like to hear being called a geek than a nerd as well...

I'm might be a geek at:
SciFi
Computers
Programming
being a wiser and a pain in the ass at times

Hey, aren't all the above the definition of a nerd? :S

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

^^I am almost the exact same way. I don't study at all but i get great grades, I only play 1 sport that i like but my life doesent revolve around it, I can play any percussion insturment by ear and i can play the piano by ear or sheet music, i know a crapload about computers so i might be a nerd. But my friends and family members like me because of i'm funny and talk a LOT. I build but not too much because i have an extremely limited amount of pieces.

So I don't think i consider myself a nerd...

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#26 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

I'm also not sure which category I'd fit in.

I get great grades, I don't study at all and I haven't since my bio final in June which I got a 97% on. :P I do however suck horribly at Language Arts and it's my only major class I'm not taking as an honors. I also play the French Horn in band for concerts, I play the Xylophone this year for Marching Band, and I play the Cymbals for parades.

Now if that doesn't make me a nerd/geek, I also am in a science club/group called PJAS which I talk about quite a bit, it's starting up again for this year so that's why it's kind of active and I won't be able to build from November-December.

I do think that if you asked someone else who knew all about me, they would say I'm nerd/geek since mostly everyone in my school thinks that building with K'nex is "lame and for nerds." However, when they saw the coaster last year in our schools art show thing, everyone loved it.

You can't forget that since I'm interested in Physics (mainly Experimental and Theoretical), that would automatically make me one or the other.

I am still not really sure which I would be.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#27 griffon14

griffon14

Drum line captain

• 1517 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:59 AM

Band geek forever!

Future member of the UNCC Drumline

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intimidator 305
Milf - Maverick - TTD - Dimondback - Griffon - Intimidator - Alpengist - Dominator - Thunderhead

#28 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

I am definitely a nerd, but to me there's nothing wrong with that. Nerd really only implies you like to do things that rely on your intelligence, and as I said there's nothing wrong with that. Geek on the other hand implies this to me:
Posted Image

Honestly guys, if I weren't interested in the things that I am I wouldn't have my current girlfriend of almost a year. I am extremely interested in computers, programming, building anything with anything, electronics, and so much other stuff that I have no hope of escaping the nerd stigma, so I just own up to it.

-Ben

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback