Who has NXT?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Current Status With NXT?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Current Status With NXT?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

Like the Title Says, who has it? Any pros and cons about it? Whats your opinion on it?

Posted Image

#2 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

I have it and I love it. Easy automation, amazing ride outcome when used properly, and has a nice finishing effect of automation on the ride.

Posted Image

#3 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

So what all do you have? Do you just have a set or did you buy extras, etc.
Don't forget to vote in the poll everyone.
Edit: Is there any difference between the White and Black Intelligent Brick?

Posted Image

#4 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

I have it and I've been using it on my last 4 or 5 coasters. In my opinion it's one of the best ways to automate Knex coasters. The programming interface is easy-to-use but lets you create some pretty complex programs. It's fairly simple to use with Knex too, making it the perfect solution for someone who wants to automate their coasters.

#5 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

So is there any difference between the white and black intelligent brick?
Which sensors/motors do you have/use?

Posted Image

#6 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

I have it and use it. I don't know about the new bricks, I have the old brick (v1.1) and it works fine. I wouldn't think there's a difference between black and white, but I'm not sure.

EDIT:

Woah, mods. The new poll IS SICK! Nice job!

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#7 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Haha, thanks whoever changed that.

Posted Image

#8 big builder145

big builder145

Build'n Big

• 384 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

I have the 2.0 version but i'm not sure its worth the money. I honestly i would have just gotten the first version. I haven't really researched the first version, but it looks to do pretty much the same thing. It has the touch sensors, and ultrasonic sensor and the servo motors. Really the only differences i see (and i haven researched it) Is the color sensor and i'm not that amazed by that personally, sure it works but i don't use it much. Unless the programing is a lot worse I would say probably get the older version.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music copy and paste this into your sig.

#9 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

I think I have version 1...it's the white one, at least. The only extra part I bought was a rechargeable battery pack. It lasts longer than AA batteries and can run while plugged in, so your NXT never runs out of juice. If you use the NXT a lot, I'd recommend investing the $70-80 for it.

EDIT: Nope, I've got version 2.

#10 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:32 AM

I got NXT 2.0, but white version. Recommend it for anyone who wants automation.

Posted Image

#11 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

The only downside of NXT is that it doesn't have those super fancy super expensive super high quality buttons like my Project Phase does. /brag

My opinion:
Bad:
1. Lego, I HATE IT. (I heard that there are so many lego bricks in the world that every person on the world has at least 4 bricks. Guess what, I'd rather burn them.)
2. IDE is made for 3 year olds. Not as much satisfaction of actually coding it all by hand.

Good:
1. Fairly Cheap
2. Easy to work with

The interface to program it with is cheating imho. Drag and drop doesn't give as much satisfactions as programming it all by hand. Phase also taught me how to code which is something I like to do. I don't see how you learn anything from the "drag and drop" environment like NXT now has. The Brixcc environment was much better (which is what we used at school.)

Question for you guys:
Can you hook up lights to it?
Aren't you limited to the 4 inputs en 3 outputs?

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

The Color Sensor Detects Colors and it can project 3 colors of light.

Posted Image

#13 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

Yes, 4 inputs and 3 outputs. That's why you sometimes have to be creative and control multiple actions with a single motor, like I did on Avalanche's station.

#14 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

Are the wires long enough or do you have to buy new ones that are longer?

Posted Image

#15 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

My set came with different kinds of wires, some short, some long. I don't think you'd need more.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu

#16 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Another problem I see is that you have to adapt everything so it works with K'nex, you have to make creative connections. Since I only use 12V motors I don't have this problem as I can just get some signal wire and plug it in directly into the motor, the other end connects to a relay.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

Don't worry Max, we all know that Phase is way better (and awesomer;)) than NXT. But sense Phase isn't on the market, this is the next best thing. You agree? But, in a year or two, I'd like to take a try with Aruduno.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#18 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

IMHO nxt is good and bad like max says i dont hate legos but knex i think is more advance then legos (without the nxt) i hate the nxt for the price nxt is almost $300 when i can get a ardunio for $40... Also your limited on cables and NEED legos just to make it work with knex. another thing is i hate seeing a open nxt in a coaster project...the nxt is good for automation mainly it...

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#19 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

Don't foget that when you buy an NXT kit you get everything you need while an Arduino is as bare as can be, and you need a lot of knowledge of electronics.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Eggo

Eggo

Vote for Pedro!

• 1212 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

The NXT is more user friendly toward amateur electricians. a.k.a, 99% of the SSC community.

Posted Image
|Millennium Force|TTD|El Toro|Bizarro|Maverick|Wildfire|Nitro|