Funfair Expo Etten-Leur, how it all comes togheter.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

This being my fifth expo, I thought it would be fun to show you guys how everything exactly works. I've been hiding a lot of details about expo's from both SSC and DD. It's not as easy as you might think it is!

The expo at Etten-Leur was first thought of about 5 years ago. Sadly the ones who took the initiative never got it to work because the city council didn't like the idea. Now 5 years later the idea was introduced again by the husband of my mom's colleague. This happened in January 2011.

A bunch of people were invited and asked to come up with ideas. I was one of those people. Since K'NEX is a relatively "new" (not to us) modelling material, they really liked what we could offer after seeing the videos and photos of Looping Star, Moloch and Big Apple. They invited me to join the meeting to discuss certain things and brainstorm for ideas to promote the first expo in this town.

At the meeting we showed pictures of our models to one another, discussed the sizes of our stands and negotiated how many models everyone could take with them. My first idea was to have three models at the expo. However, when we measured the space for the expo, it occured to us that there was no way we could fit in three K'NEX models without becoming "overkill" towards the other builders. I had a hard time, but I managed to fit in two models, even though this was not the plan at first.

So after this I had to contact the second builder; Maarten was the first choice for this expo. He was chosen by comparing school holidays, distance to travel and the overall quality of his models. By the time the second builder was chosen it was already February.

In April we had a few of the builders go back to the expo to accurately measure the rooms and make a map of where everything would be placed. After this we had a lot of contact with one another, new additions to our stand, promotion ideas, etc.

Just to sum it up, I've been actively working on this expo for 6 months already. This combined with other expo's too like Geleen, Waalwijk, Roosendaal and Oosterhout (GWOH). It's hard work and takes up at least half a day every week.

Today we reached the day to actually bring over the first few parts. I decided to bring my stand first, promotional items and some electronic parts, so I can repair stuff if it decides to randomly stop working during the expo. I've constructed the table for Maarten, so he can bring the model, put it on the table, hook it up and let it run. The lucky boy doesn't really have to do anything.

Tomorrow we will bring in the models and put them together (Maarten will do that on Friday, though, as he can't make it tomorrow). After our models are put on display we have one day of rest before it kicks off at Friday.

My brother was playing with the camera resulting in my battery going dead after just one picture from the expo. However, I do have a few from when I was still home.

Crate full of electronics and stand material
Posted Image

Expo Table and the electronics from XenoX + trains (in the blue box)
Posted Image

All that fancy Dutch Details promotional stuff!
Posted Image

The cloth for the table
Posted Image

Some stuff from other people from the expo, that big round thing must be some kind of merry-go-round.
Posted Image

So that's it for today. Tomorrow the serious business starts, moving over the models and getting them to run! I will try to write a daily report together with Maarten every day so you guys can follow the progress of the expo and hopefully get a bit of the feel and understand the effort it costs to make a successful expo.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

yes a lot of work, but it must be worth it that you keep doing it!

I am very excited to follow this!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

What model is Maarten bringing? Although that does sound like alot of work, I'm sure it's really fun watching people enjoy your models though! I really wish the US has some expo's. Although my dream is to get some displayed at Valleyfair, which I think I have a good chance at in the future.

Good just tomorrow!
KR11

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#4 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

^Maarten is bringing his Wild Mouse model.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#5 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

^Maarten is bringing his Wild Mouse model.

Oh, duh:p
I was thinking Twist and Shoot for some reason...... Although I knew I was wrong, which is why I asked.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu

#6 kwoolever

kwoolever

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

i think this is a good idea for everyone. i want you max, to keep me (and everyone) posted on how this is going! :)

~Wookie (ninja)

~I AM A BUILDER~

Posted Image

#7 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

I really wish the US has some expo's. Although my dream is to get some displayed at Valleyfair, which I think I have a good chance at in the future.

I agree.

I still don't fully understand what these expos are all about. What compels people to participate and enter their models? Do you make money from them? Or is it just to 'get your name out' and show other people your creations?

#8 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:52 AM

I still don't fully understand what these expos are all about. What compels people to participate and enter their models? Do you make money from them? Or is it just to 'get your name out' and show other people your creations?

Many things actually!!

The group we usually work with are some of the nicest people I know in real life, we all share the same passion, scale models and funfairs/themeparks/rollercoasters. While it is actually serious business during the day, we hit a bar when we are closed and have a few drinks together.
Besides meeting other people you usually can score something called "Kermis Korting" roughly translated as "Funfair Discount". As you are part of the funfair, you usually get to do a few rides for free! This also lead to me knowing more showmen and thus scoring more "Funfair Discount" at other funfairs!
As much as I enjoy both of those reasons, one of the other major reasons is that you usually get paid for it. Not much, but enough to make the hobby worth doing, as the models usually cost a lot of money, time and effort.
The last reason I can come up might seem a bit selfish but in the end it will translate back towards the K'nex community. K'nex is on the brink of being declared "dead" in Holland. The stores used to be buzzing with K'nex only a few years ago, they had standard models in glass boxes to show the models you could buy etc. Now you are lucky if you can find 2 or 3 different sets at the store, no big builds, just a few small kits, usually littered with Bricks or Micro. What we, as Dutch Details, have as a mission, is to show the unlimited possibilities with K'nex. We want people to get excited, go to the store and buy a small kit to start with. When we can manage to get those sales to rise we might be able to revive K'nex here! (Don't forget that Gump is now actively in contact with K'nex themselves, how much better can it get?)

In the end an expo is really rewarding, we do something for others to enjoy and thus we enjoy ourselves too.

Oh and Steel, yeah we are a bit of attention whores. We like to put our models on display ;)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

Humm, your expo's sound oddly familiar. I think I do things like this for the conventions I run at the museum. A lot of work and a lot of chaos at times, but people you can met make it well worth it.

It is really sad to hear that K'nex® is down in Holland :( I hope you can be successful and help bring things into an upward promotion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

Chaotic and messy day... XenoX is put up, but as always I forget to bring something with me. This time I forgot to bring the chain with me for the brakerun...

Anyway, so it's pretty much ready now. However, they just decided it would be a good idea to move my model to the other side of the room. This means I can return tomorrow to de-construct almost everything and move it over to the other side...Double the work...

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:53 AM

^That sounds like a lot of work. Luckily my model can be picked up by two people and be replaced. Going to bring it tomorrow around 1 o' clock.

Posted Image

#12 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:23 AM

I agree.

I really like doing expo's just for fun. It's really nice to see people liking your model!

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#13 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

Great wi-fi at the expo. Live updates, most likely. Edited XenoX's code so it works properly, already done quite a few laps. Next up is fixing the stand. Just taking it easy here, no need to hurry :)

Anyway, since I'm a guest here everything is taken care of. I can get food for free by just going to the kitchen of the Hotel (Yes, it's held in a hotel's lounge).

Beer + food for free, pretty much unlimited. Awesome!!

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

What the life. K'nex® amusement park rides, free food, AND free beer. Now we all want to do the hard work required to be at an expo!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

Don't expect any expo to be like that ;)

Just had a beer while sitting in front of the expo, lovely seeing also those big trucks arriving and people finishing up their rides.

I just bought an external keypad so I can you use Sound Sampler® so I can play those funky Funfair jingles :)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

I have some fun news. I'll try to live stream from the expo though Ustream a few hours every day. I just need to find the correct power supply for my camera + reciever.

Check every once in a while here:
Funfair Expo Etten-Leur on USTREAM: Live stream from the Model Funfair at Etten-Leur.

I will post in this thread when we are live!!

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

save page as "favorites" i love expos after see the last expo i really one day wat to go in one expo from dutch details.

#18 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

So far we have no plans to go to Brazil. You're lucky that my girlfriend is from Brazil, though. So that does increase the possibility ever so slightly, lololol. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#19 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:18 AM

Today Maarten will bring his model and then come over to my house.

A guy I met on an expo offered me a streaming server. He's going to set up our own private streaming server for a week. This means that the expo's live stream will be embedded on our own website! I hope to keep it running for most of the day!

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

^ Will you guys still be streaming on Thursday?

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png