knex lift vertical

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

i am using 5 ss cars and a 5 foot vertical lift. my cars keep slowly moving and wont go up even a foot. i am using 1 ss lift motor. any suggestions???

#2 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Often 5 cars is a lot to be lifted vertically, in most cases 1-3 cars will be used (Varying in ride type). However if you do want to use five cars, place a motor at the bottom and top of the lift. Also it might help to place the gear on the straight part of the lift. A drill can also be a good solution.

-AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#3 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

Use a smaller train and more motors. I would try 3 cars and just keep adding motors until you get a speed you like. The problem is that once you pass 45* the energy needed to pull the trian up the hill increase drastictly. Thats why all vertical lift coasters, expect fahrenhiet, only use a 1 car train. You could also try a drill or buy a 12v knex motor or terrain trecker motor.

#4 Aaron

Aaron

Keep Harpin' On

• 636 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

And even Fahrenheit has to use 2 chains to, I'm guessing, be able to pull up the train. On my previous vertical lift coaster, I used 3 cars and 2 SS motors, and it could lift it with relative ease. Maybe try that instead.

Posted Image

#5 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

Thats why all vertical lift coasters, expect fahrenhiet, only use a 1 car train.

Uhhmmm, Fahrenheit uses 3 car trains and a double chain lift system to make it easier on the chain and the motor itself since the 2 chains will take a lot of stress especially as it's velocity increases as you increase in height.

I find it hard to believe you made a 5 foot vertical lift hill... Do you have a picture so we could possibly help you incase your lift hill has a technical error or something else that could be causing problems?

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#6 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

i dont have a pic but i figured it out. thx! i am now working on a new coaster...shh!