PJAS Overview / Project 2011-2012 Ideas

lambchopz pjas science

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you join PJAS after reading a general overview about it?

Would you join PJAS after reading a general overview about it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

I am testing another version of my last year's Project, I will be testing Inverted Loop Designs for a(n) (Inverted) Roller Coaster. I will need your help because I will need some help on the shaping of the loops and the drop that's being researched right now.

This might become the new thread for this project, but please help me out again, I've already given SSC the credit for helping me with the shaping of the loops last year after my judges asked me about how I built it. I'd like to explain how you all helped me again which definately made the judges think that this is still really cool.

Thanks for reading all this if you did. If you have any Q's, feel free to ask away because I'll be happy to respond.

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 29 October 2016 - 06:49 PM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

I think you need to go a little farther than just testing an inverted loop this year. I'll give some thought to it.

#3 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

Well the reason for it is because it's going to be a continuation of my previous project from last year which was testing sitdown loop designs for maintaining velocity from before and after.

Another problem I have is that I can't test more than 1 thing (variables in data). Although I find the velocity from before and after the loop, I also find the velocity of the whole setup at each 10cm interval to help the judges understand the velocity changes (and to prove I performed the experiment as well) and to help show that I didn't change anything but the loop shape.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#4 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

So you could not test the efficiency of different types of inversions instead of just a loop to find out what shapes make inversions the most efficient?

#5 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

Well I can test that, but like my drop, I have to do a lot of research to find a "typical" drop and I'd do that for each element (or say the type I made is the typical) because it has to be the most commonly found design for it to be a control.

It's actually a very good Idea that I'm actually wanting to test this year but I think I'd go with typical sitdown coaster designs than inverted designs (since I don't know how to make inverted drops, loops, or anything else for that matter).

Now for the inversions, what types would you suggest?

I was thinking the most iconic elements such as:
  • Loops (Clothoid Shaped)
  • Corkscrews
  • Immelmanns
  • Zero G Roll

I don't want to test too many because that means more calculations and more variables and in the end, more data that the judges will have to understand.

EDIT: But wait?!?!?! What would my control be and why?

#6 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

I don't necessarily see why you would need a control, but if you need one, it wouldn't be hard to justify the assumption that a typical loop should be the most efficient shape since it does not require any lateral motion.

As for elements, don't forget the inverse of an Immelmann, the dive loop. Also, a zero g roll is different than an inline twist or heartline roll.

#7 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

Well the teachers/advisors of PJAS thought that this would be a great idea and they as well think that an idea of a controled element is a bit hard to explain.

Most likely, my drop, lift, and brake run will stay a constant and the height of the elements will be the same size as well.

So most likely, I'll be testing:
  • Clothoid Loop
  • Immelmann
  • Zero-G-Roll
  • Dive Loop
  • Corkscrew

I'd be willing to test another element depending on the amount of time I have at the end of the testing of the other 5 elements but I think 5 is enough for now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lambchopz, pjas, science