roller coaster original

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

I've been off for a while, but I'm back with a new TR!

This year's family holiday was supposed to be Italy, but I convinced the parents to switch to Holland, given that I'd already been to Italy twice. It's a shame really. I forgot about Mirabilandia...

Even so, there was still a cracking theme park to look forward to, in the form of Walibi Holland!

We arrived at Center Parcs De Eemhof on Monday afternoon, with a spectacular view of the wind turbines on the dyke. Here are a couple of the pics that I got:

Posted Image
The edge of the dyke was beautiful. We were really lucky with the weather, considering the weather forecast said it would rain all week.

Posted Image
They were spinning quite fast actually.

Posted Image
I took this one when we cycled along the dyke on Tuesday. We went through a route that went under the turbines, which we later worked out we weren't supposed to be in. Well, the no entry sign was in Dutch...

The Wednesday was our Amsterdam day. We saw the Van Gogh Museum and Anne Frank's house. It was a surprisingly good day out, despite the confusing road system.

Thursday was the day I'd been waiting for: Walibi World!

Posted Image
We got there at about 11:00. The park was open until 8pm, so we weren't in any rush.

Posted Image
The new brand looks quite cool, if a little cheesy...

Posted Image
I was confused when I saw this, but apparently it's the name of one of the competing mascot bands at the park. I wasn't really interested in that.

We went straight to Goliath. It was a stupidly long walk. They could have made a more direct route, but at least we got to see some of the other rides.

Posted Image
This is their ferris wheel. It was pretty big and you got some great views of the park, but we walked straight past it initially, due to the presence of some annoying mascots directly in front of it.

Posted Image
We finally got to the entrance, and there was a really short queue. However, the ride was only running on 1 train because of this, so we did have to wait a while. (I like the purple train more than the green one, but you can't always get what you want...)

Posted Image
Beautiful logo...

Posted Image
Beautiful coaster...

Posted Image
Wow. This thing is AWESOME! It beats Oblivion to the top spot on my favourite coasters list.

(My dad found it a bit too thrilling, but he seemed happy...)

Posted Image
You get so much airtime on these bunny hills. It's amazing!

Posted Image
Our next stop was El Condor. Halfway through our queueing, they added the second train, which sped things up a little.

This was my first SLC, and I hate to say, but it will probably be my last. It's hard to enjoy a coaster when the sides of you head are being raped by the restraints.
I think I'll stick to B&M inverts in the future...

After lunch in the Sherwood Forest area, we headed to Robin Hood. By now, the sun was out, and we were hoping for a decent ride.

Posted Image
It didn't disappoint, but it didn't amaze me either. It's like a smaller, wooden version of Goliath that hurts a bit. Not my favourite to say the least.

We headed towards the north-east end of the park, and stopped off at Merlin's Magic Castle on the way. It's one of the better Madhouses, but I couldn't understand the story. All the characters were speaking Dutch, but I didn't care.

Posted Image
It looks quite pretty. They did a good job with the theming.

We also passed Excalibur, the park's Huss Top Spin. I was still digesting my lunch, so I gave it a miss. I've been on Ripsaw anyway.

We found Crazy River, and I have to say, it was one of the best log flumes I've been on. I love the backwards section!

Posted Image
The double drop offers some decent thrills. While I didn't get particularly wet, it was enough to cool me down a little in the summer heat.

The sun suddenly disappeared behind some nasty looking clouds, and we thought it might rain, so we headed back towards the entrance.

Tomahawk was closed, much to the disappointment of my sister, who wanted to ride it, but that's life...

By the time we got to the new area of the park, the weather had turned once more, offering up some more sunshine (among a few grey clouds), so we headed to Speed of Sound, the park's revamped Boomerang coaster.

Posted Image
This was my first boomerang coaster, and it was great! I'm sure some of the other models are much worse, mostly because this one is brand new and modern now. It's 'La Via Volta' days are well behind it now.

Posted Image
The ride has been repainted with a great new colour scheme, and some onride audio has been added. It really enhances the ride in my opinion.

Posted Image
Oh yeah, they also added a tunnel on the lift, which is surprisingly cool!

Posted Image
Such a gorgeous vekoma loop...

Posted Image
Ah, and the new vekoma trains are on this one. They've done quite a lot to this ride.

We returned to the entrance area, and were greeted by a show under the ferris wheel which was seriously cheesy...

We took a ride on the ferris wheel while my sister went and sat down inside because it looked like it would rain.

Posted Image
You can see most of the larger rides from the ferris wheel. The smaller ones hide in the tree scape.

Posted Image
You get a great view of Xpress from here as well. It was closed, as it will be for the rest of this year. They're going to reopen it next year with a new colour scheme and name, much like what they did with La Via Volta.

After a ride on El Rio Grande (articulated rapids), we were a little bit soaked, so it was time to get dried off with a speedy ride on Space Shot.

Posted Image
We passed this in the morning on the way to Goliath, and I decided to ride it later on.

Posted Image
It's a decent ride, but they over-hyped it a little with the atmospheric music and tense sounds.

While my sister and my mum went back to the car, we took one more ride on Goliath before we decided to finish for the day. We went for the front seat, which took an extra half hour at least given that they were still only running one train.
The front seat is good, but I preferred sitting further back, as you get better airtime and the acceleration feels more powerful. It's a truly great ride that isn't to be missed if you're ever in Holland.

Now I can add Intamin mega-coasters to the list of hyper-coasters that I really want in England, along with B&M.

The rest of the week was spent at Center Parcs doing activities such as Scuba Diving and Climbing. The swimming pool is really good. They have a new slide called Turbo Twister which is certainly worth a ride.

We spent the last day and a half in Belgium, where we saw the battlefields and had a great cycle tour of Bruges.

That was the end of a great holiday, and I'm sure I will return to Holland in the future, whether it be for another holiday or just to ride Goliath again, or perhaps even to go to De Efteling or Duinrell.

Posted Image
I leave you with a pretty picture of the ferris wheel behind the scenic fountain in the middle of the park.

Thanks for reading, and I'll post another TR of my weekend at Chessington and Thorpe when I go later this summer.

John 3:16

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

Looks like a great time! Sometime in my I want to get out to Europe and go to these parks but for now, I'm sticking to the U.S. Great Trip Report!

-AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#3 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

'I wasn't really interested in that.'

'but we walked straight past it initially, due to the presence of some annoying mascots directly in front of it.'

lol, this theming did cost 15 million euros...
No one does really like it I think. :D

I hope you did have a great time in Holland!

Posted Image

#4 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

^haha... I didn't mind really. It takes quite a lot to distract me from a coaster like Goliath!

^^Thanks! It's exactly the same with me, but the other way round. I want to visit the USA, but I'm stuck in Europe for now. Europe is well worth a visit. You can find out what real theming is. (joke...)

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

'I wasn't really interested in that.'

'but we walked straight past it initially, due to the presence of some annoying mascots directly in front of it.'

lol, this theming did cost 15 million euros...
No one does really like it I think. :D

I hope you did have a great time in Holland!

Robin hood was a great ride wasnt it helmer :P

Posted Image

#6 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

Robin hood was a great ride wasnt it helmer :P

My head still hurts from it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

And my ballls still hurt of it :P (joke)

Posted Image

#8 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

You get a great view of Xpress from here as well. It was closed, as it will be for the rest of this year. They're going to reopen it next year with a new colour scheme and name, much like what they did with La Via Volta.

The ride isn't closed because of the re-theming process. That's what they decided to do after realized fixing the broken stators would take a while as they have to be custom build.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 reaperdoctor

reaperdoctor

SQUISH IT!!!!

• 716 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:11 AM

^ I heard it's closed for the rest of the year because it broke down. This seems like an added bonus. All the more reason to go back there! :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roller coaster original