design designs layout shop

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:06 AM

After canceling my winter contest coaster, I decided to make something I've always wanted to build: an out and back wooden coaster. I'm not planning this to be too tall or too long, but I don't want to go too far into January with it, so it will be somewhat short.

Tell me what you think!

(The supports for the lift will be moving out 1 yellow rod in both directions, I just didn't do it yet).

Posted Image

Look familiar.....?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh hey scenery!
Posted Image

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 xx-cyp-62-xx

xx-cyp-62-xx

Construction Worker

• 105 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

good job coaster is a woodie coaster ?
are you going to finish your eurofighter ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

^Sadly no. I lost interest and with the contest limiting the space I needed, I really ran out of ideas. I'm a lot happier now that I'm building this, because of a few reasons, but I've always wanted to build a true woodie with realistic supports (maybe hybrid-looking, but still accurate).

There are a few things that I will be keeping from my eurofighter/skywheel coaster, and that's the station and the scenery. It will be different, but you'll be able to see some similarities between these two coasters.

I will try to work on the drop tonight, but more comments about the lift, the angle, or any critiquing (although it's hard with just a lift hill) or just comments would be appreciated.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#4 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

Keep building. Lift looks fine. What happened to the front of your train?

#5 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:12 AM

^Thanks. I never put the little front part back on after I took apart my Intamin Zac Spin cars from Summer Heat :P I'll be putting it back together over break (starting on Friday afternoon).

Not many pictures, but after school I'll be getting more building done and more pictures taken.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Treeko890coastr

Treeko890coastr

Dark Explorers!

• 879 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

Do you go to school in the morning?that got posted at 6:13 am? Though the coaster...... I notice a large gap at the botom of the hill is that where the gears will go? Looks great thouugh!:D

I am a stegosaurus!
Signature removed as it was larger than limit.
My coasters:
Jaws,Overheat,Mine Train

#7 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

I like it! I assume it will be out and back?

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#8 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

Do you go to school in the morning?that got posted at 6:13 am? Though the coaster...... I notice a large gap at the botom of the hill is that where the gears will go? Looks great thouugh!:D

Thanks! We live in different time zones, (I'm one ahead of you), but I actually posted it at 7:12am, my time). School starts for me at 7:30, so I posted it right as I was walking out of my house to walk to school. I don't see the large gap at the bottom of the hill, the lift? If so, the top part, or is it closer to the station?

I like it! I assume it will be out and back?

Thank you, and yes I'm aiming for a small out and back, almost steriotypical, woodie. Might make it divert it's parallel-ness for a tiny bit, but I'm still debating that.

I have to go walk my dog in a few minutes, but I'll get a good shot of the crest and pull in to the lift hill when I get back.

#9 GreenAppleW

GreenAppleW

Architect

• 383 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

Looks good so far! but why are you using yellow x tie's and green flexies?? i've seen that by more of your coasters?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:53 AM

^Thanks. It's because when I bought my first few Rippin Rockets, they had yellow X's but green flexis. When I went to buy more on ebay I just kept the colors so it would be uniform. However, I do own 2 green X-ties after I purchased a lot of parts from a seller, and they gave me a "thanks a lot" bag with 2 of a lot of random parts.

Well, I would have liked to get the drop done before I left for school, but I'm fine with it. The prelift is really cool (IMO) because the cars go over it slowly after the lift. Then they start down the almost-perfectly shaped drop.

Pictures! (And there are more than last time)
No overview is really needed (unless you really need one), but here's the new predrop. Kind of reminds me of a steel coaster's prelift turn, but I turn a fraction of what they do. Hopefully the cars help you see the banking of the track.
Posted Image

And here's that drop I'm so happy about. The shaping from the side looks pretty good to me, but hearing what other people have to say is more important than me. The floating X-tie is a reference for me for the height I want the track to be after the turnaround.
Posted Image

Drop from the front. Yes I do see there are a few bumps and all towards the top of the drop. I'll be fixing it later today.
Posted Image

Well, hopefully more people start checking this coaster out. It's going to be gone before you know it!

#11 xx-cyp-62-xx

xx-cyp-62-xx

Construction Worker

• 105 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

very good drop
it's a best woodie

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

I think i see a straight spot in the midle of the drop. But the predrop looks amazing.

#13 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

Overall, I am seeing some super smooth shaping on this thing. I wanna see what kinds of elements you put in here, but make sure that you have at least one that is somewhat different from an original styled woodie to make it that much cooler than the others.

Posted Image

#14 Poseidon

Poseidon

A.k.a. Ninja

• 303 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

yes..^^ and he should do his best to color coordinate, if not already done.

#15 Treeko890coastr

Treeko890coastr

Dark Explorers!

• 879 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

in the first pic there is a random crosstie.why? the predrop is fanominal i hope to see great things from you!

I am a stegosaurus!
Signature removed as it was larger than limit.
My coasters:
Jaws,Overheat,Mine Train

#16 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

Ooooh, lots of comments. :D

very good drop
it's a best woodie

Haha, thanks! There are however many other ones that are bigger and better, but I'm happy with everything I have so far. What I have planned is also very cool, so maybe it'll surpass them and be the best.

I think i see a straight spot in the midle of the drop. But the predrop looks amazing.

I was intending and had the feeling that I'd to have a very small portion of the drop being straight, less than a blue rod, and it was in the middle of the drop. Some out-and-back woodies do have somewhat straight hills.

Overall, I am seeing some super smooth shaping on this thing. I wanna see what kinds of elements you put in here, but make sure that you have at least one that is somewhat different from an original styled woodie to make it that much cooler than the others.

Oooh, Jumpge approves! :D Thanks, and you know I'm planning a few crazy elements, not to mention inversions. :P I will however have a somewhat unique and different way of turning the coaster around (continuous, not like a turntable), and that's still in the works of being planned.

yes..^^ and he should do his best to color coordinate, if not already done.

Color coordinating is actually one of the most important things to me in a coaster. Shaping and realism is #1, but colors are #2. That's why I'm trying to find as many dark grey rods for the supports as possible.

in the first pic there is a random crosstie.why? the predrop is fanominal i hope to see great things from you!

Thank you! I think this might answer your question. It was hidden in the paragraph above the photo.

The floating X-tie is a reference for me for the height I want the track to be after the turnaround.

Well, I'll be trying to finish the drop, maybe squeeze in a small bunny hill, then I have to work on my turnaround. I'm going to try to make it as original as possible, but not too over the top. More comments for the last update are still welcomed and encouraged.

#17 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

No overview is really needed (unless you really need one)

Yes always overviews.

#18 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:07 AM

^ Well I did have one, but the picture was really small, so I hope this one turns out right.

Update!

I didn't get much progress done on trackwork, but I did however get my layout's design finished. I was hoping to get more bunny hills in, but it doesn't look like I will :/ I can always change the design to fit some in, but the turns will be extremely tight then.

Overview!
Posted Image

Here's the drop, still have to fix a small part of it towards the top, but other than that it looks pretty good.
Posted Image

Side view, and if you didn't notice, it's mirrored to the drop, but this is as far as the similarity will occur.
Posted Image

Supports for the turn, and yes I know it's a little small.
Posted Image

Well, I know it's not a lot, but if you like the layout, hate it, have some ideas to make it better (without extending the amount of track length) or anything, comment! Or just comment anyway. :D

#19 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

I looks good but that crest isnt good in my opinion.

Posted Image

#20 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

I like it so far, it has a good woodie feel.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: design, designs, layout, shop