• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Posted Image

Some time ago the SSC Winter Contest was announced and several coasters are under construction as we speak, or even ready to be entered in this Entry Thread.

Have you developed a new roller coaster for the new (fictional) K'NEX theme park of Cedar Fair? Then please check the requirements again and if you are sure you meet them, enter your entry below!

Posted Image

• The building area is limited to the red rectangle (8 long grey rods by 4 long grey rods).
  • The purple area has to contain the station, but can contain other parts of the roller coaster.
  • The blue shape is the path for the visitors to walk on. A long straight path intersects the building area (which can be at ground level or elevated like a bridge). This path should stay clear of any roller coaster parts! The path's clearance height is one yellow/granite rod.

Other rules:

• Height restriction at tree top level; luckily the trees there are rather tall, the restriction is set at 5 long grey rods high.
  • What is specifically asked for is a CREATIVE element. It is up to the contestant to decide what is their CREATIVE element. Every contestant writes a paragraph about why his design is the right one for the park and what his CREATIVE element is, and why it is CREATIVE. Note that everything can be considered an element; a track element, theming, automation, the station, etc.

Does your roller coaster meet these requirements? Then enter. If it doesn't, please post this in the OTHER Winter Contest thread, so we can determine what needs to be changed.

To enter, we need two things.
  • Link to your roller coaster in the SSC Database
  • A description of your CREATIVE element. We want a full paragraph, a couple of sentences, that describe what the special, CREATIVE element is in your coaster. Is it a special kind of propulsion, theming, station? State it!

This thread is only for entering, ask your questions in the other Winter Contest thread.
Your deadline is January 15th, 2012.

The final entries:
-=TK=-: Ice Vision
Helmut: Ice Age
maarten12: Wild Alaska
wardcoastez: Frozone
TheSUCKCrew: Jet Coaster
CCreator12: Snowmageddon

Edited by Jogumpie, 04 September 2013 - 02:37 PM.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#2 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

Here it is, the entry of -=TK=-’s wintercoaster:

Ice Vision

Posted Image

What a work, after a pretty long time we finally maneged to finish our Winter Contest coaster. It was a really hard challenge to get this project working, first we had the idea of a tilt lift (for the creative element), since no-one had never made one that also ended up on a real coaster on youtube or in the database of SSC.We started to make one, however, the mechanism to let the tilt work was really hard to make. We came up with a lot of idea’s and only 1 of those idea’s worked.
First I want to start off with an overview of the tilt, to let you guys know where everything is:
Posted Image
Let's start with explaining the mechanism now. It is all really complicated, but i hope you guys will get it.
First off we wanted the tilt to go from horizontal to vertical, so we started to work on that. We made the following:
Posted Image
As you can see, the rope is connected to weight. This:
Posted Image
With this we could make the tilt go up and down manually without a car on it.
Then we needed the train to lock on the system so that the train could actually go down without falling off the tilt part. We used this:
Posted Image
As you can see, a simple thing to hold the train. Then we connected that to a rubberband so that it would stay up when the tilt was tilting.
Posted Image
Then we wanted to let it work with a motor, so we first made a rope from the bottom of the tilt to the motor, but it didn't work because the thing that holds the train didn't want to release the train. So we connected the rope to the switch.
Posted Image
Then the system worked but it didn't line up on a good way, so we also had to make sure that it lined up good everytime. We used this for the top of the tilt:
Posted Image
And this for the bottom:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Then we had an almost automatic tilt, it wasn't possible to make it fully automatic since we have a really busy week coming up, and we couldn't make it automatic before the deadline because of the busy week that's coming. So apologizes for that ;)

Well, that was our creative element, but we also had some smaller creative elements in the form of theming. We made new benches:
Posted Image
And special Ice Vision Garbage cans:
Posted Image

If you want to see more, look in the database:
Ice Vision - Knex tilt coaster - SSCoasters Rides Database

Thanks for making this contest, we enjoyed building this ride!

-=TK=-

Posted Image

#3 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Helmut's entry:

Posted Image
(Logo by GreenAppleW, thanks Willem!)

My special element is the inclined launch. I first tried to make a normal launch, but after a while I saw it would never fit within the area, so I came up of the idea of an inclined launch, which pretty much saved the idea of making a launch for this coaster, happy me!
I haven't seen many inclined launches before. This was stated in the construction thread, some people really liked seeing this launch-type after a while.
This video explains how the resetting and launching works:

You see I fist need to reset the launch manually. I do this until the catchcar reaches a point where the train will be able to catch it. A ratchet is blocking the launch, but when I pulled a rod, the launch was unblocked. Then the train was launched with great speed, enough to complete the entire coaster.

For the final video and pictures, please go to the database:
Ice Age - SSCoasters Rides Database

:)

Posted Image

#4 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:40 AM

My entry is Wild Alaska.

Ride database:
Wild Alaska - SSCoasters Rides Database

Construction thread:
http://www.sscoaster...html#post330615

Description of the special element can be found in the database or the construction thread just like the final video.

Posted Image

#5 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:26 AM

damn i need to finish that queue!!!
i'll post my entry here this weekend :P

wardcc-2.png

#6 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

Just wondering, are there any non-dutchies entering?

#7 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

^Does it matter?

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

i am NOT dutch

i'm belgian :P (not that it really matters)

wardcc-2.png

#9 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Just wondering, are there any non-dutchies entering?

I am wondering the same.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#10 GreenAppleW

GreenAppleW

Architect

• 383 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

I can't get the deathline, wheeeheeee

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

^Are you close or would an extra week not be enough at all? With only three entries, I am considering an extension.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#12 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

^i'm entering!
my final video is almost finished!
i got 2:06 of the 3:11 minutes :P

wardcc-2.png

#13 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

^Are you close or would an extra week not be enough at all? With only three entries, I am considering an extension.

I've got a lift, special element, and drop standing here in my room right now. Next week is my exam week, which means I have LOTS of spare time. IF I get an extra week, I will be able to finish it (I finished many coasters within a week).

#14 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Next week is my exam week, which means I have LOTS of spare time.

Haha, so familiar. I saw them as little vacations, rarely any hard work. During my final year, not so much... Good luck bro!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

I'm gonna enter... maybe... so intimidated... that and I'm gonna cram the end of the queue, video, rest of theming, umm... can I have and extra week?

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#16 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

Oh ya and I'm not Dutch so if you don't want this to be an all European (mainly dutchies) competition, I'd appreciate the extra week.

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#17 MrRemcoStyle

MrRemcoStyle

dream'n

• 378 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

^i'm entering!
my final video is almost finished!
i got 2:06 of the 3:11 minutes :P

i don't see you in the construction forum
has you a new coaster?

Posted Image

#18 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

i don't see you in the construction forum
has you a new coaster?

http://www.sscoaster...-contest-13483/
Ward's coaster, he finished it as first if I'm correct. He started just after the announcement of the winter contest.

-=tK=-

Posted Image

#19 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

^yeah
but here it is! i'm sorry it took so long :P

frozone - SSCoasters Rides Database

wardcc-2.png

#20 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

Oh ya and I'm not Dutch so if you don't want this to be an all European (mainly dutchies) competition, I'd appreciate the extra week.

I don't mind if someone is Dutch or not. I look to the coaster and not the person who build it. I think if the deadline is postponed by one week, it is not to make it a 'not-only-European-contest' but to get more entries. ;)

Posted Image