arrow rhino roller coaster

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hey, I have a problem with tan clips. I have broken 20+ tan clips, stripped over 10, and most are simply worn out. Does anyone know how or if it is possible to get them back to full strength? I will eventually buy more, but right now I am under a tight schedule. Josh and I need to finish Top Thrill Dragster ASAP.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#2 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

I don't understand what you mean by warn out. But I'm pretty sure once a K'NEX peice is broken, or worn down, it's time to throw them in the trash. I usually my gears so the part that sticks out of the gear face faces away from the oposite gear, place two tan clips in the middle, and two on the outsides of the gears, so you'll have a total of 4 tan clips on your gears. The reason they break is your putting too much pressure on them, I'm guessing TTD is breaking them, then your launch is too fast.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#3 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

^ I think he means that they have loosened up so much that they no longer stick to the rod or the plastic has physically been worn down.

#4 Snake

Snake

Construction Worker

• 444 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Squeeze the ends inward. that should help.

#5 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

This has happened to me SOOOOO many times and I only have a round fifteen of these left I took a look at my peice count and I originally had 87 than clips.:@ When my clips began "seperating" I put a three pound weight on the side of the clip but it still seperates. The only well working sollution is the trash (when trying to fix them of course). I guess you could melt the peice back into place as well. That may work. I've gotta go fish my peices out of the trash now. My brain fails to work at times haha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#6 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

It sounds weird, but ductape the tan clips to the gears and the attached rod, it also did the job for FR. It really helps, but make sure to use lots of tape!

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#7 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

If you have room on the rod you are trying to control then put a bunch of them on it so the pin of one sticks into the hole on the back of the one next to it. I find that using multiple tan clips like this instead of spacers makes the drive gear/rod much stronger and tan clips don't pop off and dont loosen up. I also think the dark green clips are a little tougher than the tan ones. It also helps to put them on both sides of the gear if you can so two of them have pins in the gear. Also use tan or black rods with gears and clips, they are tougher too. Hope this helps.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#8 RightWayTrey

RightWayTrey

Automatic or nothing

• 702 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Tightly wrap a long thin strip of duct tape around the tan clip. This will keep them from breaking and even make your worn out pieces hold up just fine. I always do that on tan clips with a lot of stress on them and I've never had a problem.

Posted Image

Valleyfair Recres:..........My Tutorials:......

................Steel Venom................Automatic Station Gates.......

..........Corkscrew...................Automatic Drill Launch....

...Round About................Auto on/off switch..

#9 Micronex

Micronex

Another piece for my collection

• 1270 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Guys, it's all about CABLE TIES ;) They work wonders, and you can reuse them.

#10 REXENK

REXENK

Learner of the tubes

• 216 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

I always put the connector part between my teeth and squeeze.....I know it's not smart....or safe :)

Posted Image

Thanks ~steelspectrum~!

#11 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments, I wish I had looked back at this thread earlier, you all have great ideas.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arrow, rhino, roller coaster