arrow rhino roller coaster

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

For my final project in my engineering class I started making a roller coaster using a 3D modeling software called Rhino. The coaster is an arrow shuttle coaster, I don't know if they exist but I am making one now. The design of the cars is no where near final, I used a knex car body to make the body and looked at some reference pictures for the wheels (they are not done yet). Let me know what you think. I have made everything completely from scratch so I will not update that often.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fixed the Pictures.

Posted Image

#2 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

OOOO looks cool, now I need to look into this Rhino program. I've just been using cad.

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#3 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

^ CAD is probably better but I don't know. I updated the cars they look much better but still, as you can probably tell, are not done yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

More work on the cars. Does anyone know how the catch car releases on a Vekoma boomerang coaster because I want to make the catch car but can't figure it out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

^ It's a kind of clamp on a car that grabs a hitch on the back of the train. It's fixed on a cable and wench. At the top of the first lift is a pin that releases the clamp.

The 2nd lift works like a regular chain lift, except the chain is fixed on a retractable rig. When the train reaches the top of the 2nd lift, the chain retracts.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=78uqQVzBeF4

#6 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

^I am not sure I fully understand, I get what it does but I don't know what it looks like. I have more updated car pictures with the station platform.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

I made most of the catwalk on the lift. Should the stairs be level with the lift or should I keep them the way they are?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

Haha, I don't think I'd have the patience to create something like that on a computer. Looks awesome though!

Posted Image

#9 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Update! I am working on the cobra roll, I have decided to do a classic Vekoma Boomerang coaster. I will change the lift later. I will also widen the cobra roll.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

The cobra looks good so far! Also I think you should raise the catwalk a little. Good luck! :)

#11 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Did some more work. Still need to add final shaping, but this is a good idea of what it will look like. I will move the cobra roll closer to the station and add the backbone to the loop. I also added brakes in the station (I hid the track so you could see them).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Finished the loop, made the lifts, and started the supports. The corkscrews on the cobra roll will not have complete track for a while, I am having trouble with getting the track ribs arraying correctly.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

This looks great, just one minor detail is that your lift hills look way too steep (should be 35-40 degrees), and the pull in to the lift from the station is really short, when it needs to be long and smooth with a large radius. I'm only being tough because I'm building one now and know what it's supposed to look like.

Other than that, great job so far. Don't know how you have the patients to make such a project, but it looks great!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#14 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Almost done with the catwalks. I also started work on the path, I will add benches and trees and stuff later. I lowered the lift angle and extended the pullin/pullout slightly. I do not want to change them because it will take too much work and I think it looks fine while it may not be 100% accurate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

Started on the chain section and finished the station gates.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Is it possible to animate things in this program?

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

I laughed when I noticed the K'NEX chain links and gear.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#18 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

^^I do not think so. ^I am going to change the gear color and make it just a single gear.

I am making this for a school project but my schools computers are like 9 years old and can barely run my project, so I got a new computer it hasn't been set up yet but it will run the program so much faster. The computer has 6 cores, a 1 TB harddrive, 8GB of ram and duel video cards. I don't think I will run into slow computer problems for a long time.

Posted Image

#19 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

I started the catch car and started messing with lighting (I made it a bit too dark), I also added foundations to the supports but when I was rendering the image I left the room to go to my math class and someone turned my computer off. :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

I have an overview picture. I am going to add scenery (trees, lights, benches,etc.). I still have a bit of track work to finish and I have to finish the catch car. How does the catch car work exactly? I looked at some pictures and videos but it was hard to see, from what I saw it is some sort of latch or hook or something. If anyone knows can you tell me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arrow, rhino, roller coaster