How to post a K'nex Coaster update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

I have been considering a topic like this due to the low quality of updates recently, and after the last two day I realized how badly this is needed.

How to take pictures:The pictures are most definitely the most important part of an update as they allow other members to see what you have been working on. If you do not post good pictures then you wont get good criticism or suggestions. The most important picture to for almost any kind of update is a direct side view. This will almost always give your viewers the best idea of how your shaping is and how it compares to the rest of your coaster. One of the things I always stress on my coasters is having good pullouts. A good one will help you save speed but a bad one will take a ton away. Such as this:
Posted Image
or this:
Posted Image

The next important picture in my mind is an overview. This gives people the best idea of how your coaster flows and look overall. Also you never know what imperfections someone will find in your coaster from a different angle. This kind of picture will is better for multiple elements in one update where a side view doesn't do the elements justice. Example:Posted Image

What to say: This isn't quite as important but you can never underestimate it. The two main things that need to be said in an update is how you feel and what you plan to do next. Letting people know how you feel about what you build give someone an idea of if you want to keep what you've build or if there's a better option because if you don't like what you build then there's no point in keeping it. I also opens the door for suggestions. Another important topic to address is what your planning on building next, for the same reasons as the first. It gives people a better idea of how your coaster will flow and fit together. When explaining your next element its always helpful to add what height you plan your next element to be.

Any suggesting on how to better this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

I like the idea of a thread like this.

Also, if your update is about a specific element, posting multiple viewpoints is also very helpful and a close up on key parts or a "POV Shot" is nice to have when criticizing the shaping, but isn't necessary. When doing this, focusing more on what you're trying to accomplish (similar to what you said about the whole 'What to say') and telling people to critique only (shaping, size, etc) can help direct people to what you want them to critique and maximize the help you can get.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#3 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

The written portion of your update is crucial to maintaining an interesting construction thread that will make people want to read your updates. I've noticed that some people just post pictures and then say "now comment XD," or some other meaningless phrase. Whenever I see an update like that, I really don't feel like commenting on it.
Instead, it's better to write more description and keep the thread in a discussion format by asking for input. Asking questions like "How could I improve this element?" or "What's a good name for this coaster?" or even asking for guesses on the rest of the layout will surely encourage people to provide input and remain interested in the construction of your coaster.

#4 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

I think this thread is a good idea. I'd like to add a few things that I like to see, and some things that I do myself.

Guessing Games: Something as simple as a vague picture with a caption like: "What could this be?" As many times as I've seen this being used, curiosity will always get the better of me and I'll take a look just to see if I can guess what's going on. It's a cheap trick that often works.

Construction Stories: Taking imagination beyond the coaster. It takes a little creativity, and it one of those "swing or miss" situations. Phrases like: "Footers are being poured.", "Track has arrived.", "Trains are being installed.", etc. They always make me smile.

Layout Plans: A simple sketch of a planned layout. It takes balls to lay all your cards on the table. And more often than not, things won't always go as planned. But on the plus side, it gives everyone a clear picture of what you're trying to build. It makes getting the help you need a little easier. And who doesn't love a nerd-a-licious blueprint?

Polls: Polls are a risky move, because you only get to use it once per thread. The cool thing about polls is that they can be about anything, and we all get to voice our opinion. I like the feeling that some detail of the ride, no matter how big or small, could be my descision to make.

#5 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

One of the more important aspects of an update: high-quality pictures. If you want to keep a construction thread interesting to look at, make sure your pictures are sharp and well-lighted. Personally, the pictures I take during construction of an element are usually made with a phone and the quality isn't perfect. Whenever I need input from you or when I want to show a completed element, I choose to take decent pictures with a high-quality photo camera. So... don't forget the quality of your pictures!

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#6 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Another thing that immediately puts me off at looking at your update: Pictures as thumbnails or attachments. Upload the darn photo's and use the BB code!

Oh yeah, I also hate seeing polls asking for idea's on what to do next. It's your ride, why start building if you have no clear idea of what you are going to build? It's your model, not ours.

I'd very much prefer a detailed written update to accompany the photo's. This way you can actually see what is going on and why things are as they are. It also prevents a ton of useless comments telling you something is wrong even though you had a very good reason of doing it the way you did it.

And not so much an "update" issue on the author's behalf, but more on the behalf of people who neglect reading the update and only glance at the pictures. I've seen it happen numerous times that people ask me or other people questions even though the answer was clearly stated in the update! If you are going to comment, at least take the time to read the previous posts. It's not about postcount, it's about the quality of your posts. Besides, spam will be deleted, so save yourself the effort of writing some idiotic :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image