hyper micro parrthurnax sam samissoawsome

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hello again. Well Venom is taken down and its about time to start a new coaster. So I'm actually building an Eurofighter, sorry the titles deceiving. ;) Haha, JK anyways, I thought it fitting to make another Hyper coaster to redeem myself after Iron Man. Yesterday I drew a couple concept/shaping diagrams although the didn't really help that much as I did it in class and didn't have graphing paper on hand so the box sizes are off. :D But they're still pretty awesome pictures, I'm proud.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Haha, I've actually been working on this coaster for about two weeks so I'm actually quite far (sorry bout that). I'm almost done with the automation and transfer tracks (I'll make a video soon). Here are some pictures.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Anyways onto the actually coaster. This coaster stands 5'9'' and is pretty awesome. I used Stig's lift concept for my lift with a coaster modifications the main one being I added a chain return guide. I'm not very happy with the shaping on this drop. Especially right after the crest there is a straight spot that bugs me a lot. Next I plan on having some sort of hill what type has yet to be determined. Anyways here are some pictures.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here's the part I hate the shaping of. I've tried to fix it but I really need to put a support right under it to fix it.
Posted Image
Please note that the bottom of the drop isn't supported yet.

Posted Image

#2 Snake

Snake

Construction Worker

• 444 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Whoa, thats huge for VV.

#3 Treeko890coastr

Treeko890coastr

Dark Explorers!

• 879 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Theres a big bump right be fore the drop starts turning, and it's pretty massive. Great job other wise!

I am a stegosaurus!
Signature removed as it was larger than limit.
My coasters:
Jaws,Overheat,Mine Train

#4 Spitfire

Spitfire

SSC Graphics Designer

• 1753 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Put some horizontal supports connecting the vertical supports on the lift, and perhaps some lateral supports as well. A coaster this size needs that extra stability.

(cop) SSCoasters Staff (cop)
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Posted Image
Maverick | Millennium Force | Ravine Flyer II | Top Thrill Dragster | Kumba

#5 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

5'9" is enormous! You may have accidentally made a giga.
Nice job using the curves in the lift structure. I hadn't thought of that.
I like the looks of the transfer tracks and automation, too.
The straight spot on the drop is because of the spine. Four rods won't hold a curve by themselves.
Like you said, you'll need a support under where the spine starts.
Good luck with this. I hope you can finish. It would be the tallest VV I've ever seen.

#6 Haaron05

Haaron05

Thee tower master

• 599 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

this is purely awesome, is this a first for a vv transfer track?. i love the looks of this so far :D

Posted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

(cop)KNEX AUSTRALIA!(cop)

#7 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:17 AM

It looks amazing but fix the bump.

Posted Image

#8 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

Whoa, thats huge for VV.

Haha, thank you. I had previously estimated that VV was 1/33 scale although after building this hoping for it to be about 200 scale feet tall it looks a lot bigger. :(

Theres a big bump right be fore the drop starts turning, and it's pretty massive. Great job other wise!

Ya, I know. :/ One I finish the rest of the drop I'll fix that.

Put some horizontal supports connecting the vertical supports on the lift, and perhaps some lateral supports as well. A coaster this size needs that extra stability.

Will do. :)

5'9" is enormous! You may have accidentally made a giga.
Nice job using the curves in the lift structure. I hadn't thought of that.
I like the looks of the transfer tracks and automation, too.
The straight spot on the drop is because of the spine. Four rods won't hold a curve by themselves.
Like you said, you'll need a support under where the spine starts.
Good luck with this. I hope you can finish. It would be the tallest VV I've ever seen.

Haha, like I said earlier I estimated that VV was 1/33 scale although I'm rethinking that. Thank you and I will certainly try my best to fix this drop.

this is purely awesome, is this a first for a vv transfer track?. i love the looks of this so far :D

I was wondering that my self does anyone know?

It looks amazing but fix the bump.

Thank you and I will fix the shaping. :)

Posted Image

#9 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Also, your tallest lift support is leaning to the left a bit. Might want to fix the track-to-support connections to fix that. To fix your crest problem, increase the radius of the apex, that'll make it take longer to get to the final angle, making it have less straight spots.

I like it so far. It's like a VV Milli.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#10 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hmm I think I see you're problem. The drop doesn't go steep enough soon enough. If you bring the towers supporting the drop one red rod (or whatever you're base rod is) closer the the lift supports, the shaping should be much easier!

#11 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Also, your tallest lift support is leaning to the left a bit. Might want to fix the track-to-support connections to fix that. To fix your crest problem, increase the radius of the apex, that'll make it take longer to get to the final angle, making it have less straight spots.

I like it so far. It's like a VV Milli.

I wasn't able to increase the apex as much as I wanted to because of my lift spine but I did improve it.

Hmm I think I see you're problem. The drop doesn't go steep enough soon enough. If you bring the towers supporting the drop one red rod (or whatever you're base rod is) closer the the lift supports, the shaping should be much easier!

I was thinking about fixing it your way but the problem with it is the supports look wall to close together if they are moved closer together. Sadly I don't have any pictures to prove my point so your just going to have to trust me. :) I did fix the problem though.

I was originally going to wait til my next update to show my improved shaping but I changed my mind after tornado commented. So here is a picture (please note that the pull out turns so from a side the shaping looks off).
Posted Image
The crest looks straight but if you look at the track I assure you its not its just the curved track spine that's deceiving you. ;)

Posted Image

#12 Haaron05

Haaron05

Thee tower master

• 599 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

that looks much better!, i cant beleive how big the coaster is going to be :)

Posted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

(cop)KNEX AUSTRALIA!(cop)

#13 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

That looks great, keep this up and you have a pretty good shot at one of the TM votings.

#14 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

I'll trust you on this one :) You might want to get rid of the curve tracks as the crest. The crest looks WAY too small personally. I can see why you'd keep it though. Looking forward to more!

#15 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'm sorry for my inactivity I had exams and then went on a vacation to California (went to magic mountain). I'm still not very far but I thought I'd show you guys a couple videos of the automation. I'm quite proud of how it turned out. I used a chain to eject the train out of the station instead of a wheel pushing the train out as that had many problems (2nd video). Anyways here are two videos.

Posted Image

#16 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Awesome automation! Looks very good to me, now curious about the layout.

#17 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

OH MY GOSH! omigosh! omigosh! omigosh! omigosh! OOOMMMIIIGGGOOOSSSHHH!!!
Speed stacking girl. :P

But really. This is awesome. How you manage to automate VV amazes me. Make sure the structure doesn't shake much or you will lose some serious speed. Looking forward to this Giga Coaster. :P

EDIT: For your diagonals on your structures, even though it doesn't look as pretty, it is much stronger to make the diagonals zigzag up the structure and make diamond shapes.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#18 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

As the title says I have cancelled Paarthurnax. :( I'm sorry for anyone who was excited about this coaster but with piece shortages and money shortages I have just decided to cancel. I will be starting a new coaster in the coming week that will be another woodie and I will be using this station for it. Here are a couple more pictures of how far I got on Paarthurnax.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I used my sister camera (mine was out of battery) for this hence the quality. ;)

Posted Image

#19 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

Darn, that really sucks. I'm looking forward to seeing the woodie though.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305