Gatekeeper, Cedar Point, 2013

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#1 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

GateKeeper has been leaked as the new roller coaster at Cedar Point for 2013!

Posted Image

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#2 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

So that probably means the spotted B&M track of an unknown coaster will probably go to Cedar Point, sounds great :)!

Posted Image

#3 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

To add to speculation, there is a survey marker by the exit of DT :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot

#4 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

So that probably means the spotted B&M track of an unknown coaster will probably go to Cedar Point, sounds great :)!

Possibly. The steel plant in Ohio is one of two manufacturers of B&M track in the world, the other being in Germany. I know Ohio has been the producer for North American and Asian projects, so they could very well be working on 3-4 different projects right now. There's already a lot of green track already finished, and I'm wondering if that may be done early so it can be shipped off internationally. There's also a lot of unpainted track that needs finished. It's been about a month from any update over there, so maybe I'll take a few hours to stop by and get some pictures.

This is the most recent update that Screamscape has of the plant, from April 21. http://www.facebook....79334913&type=3

SSCoasters Staff

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

#5 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

I love the idea of a wingrider but, seeing as how Raptor would occupy the same general area, I hope it isn't the green track. It shouldn't be red either, because the park already has 4 red coasters (if you include Mantis)...A Leviathan like color scheme would look good, I think.

The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of terrain interactivity you get with a parking lot...maybe the infamous 'lake coaster' rumor will finally come true? Of course, that's probably not going to happen but imagine banking the track over the water so the riders could almost touch it.

Also, DT is an eyesore and I wouldn't mind seeing it leave.

EDIT: It's 5 if you include Mantis. Yes, I know Iron Dragon is easy to forget. ;)

#6 moose517

moose517

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

Man i hope thats true, really want to give a wingrider a shot, i'm thinking i might make a trip to SFGA this summer to give x-flight a shot. I won't miss DT in the slightest bit quite honestly, rode it once and was like WTF is this crap.

#7 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Can't say I'll miss DT, that ride is crap. And those 3D glasses are stupid.
I'd personally love to see some white track. Especially since this thing is going to be twisting over the front gate.

#8 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Apparently the article that ran in the paper claimed the coaster would be $170. And at $25 million I believe that almost $ 10 million more than X Flight.

#9 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

A wing rider is just what Cedar Point needs! DT has been kind of an eye-sore so I'm glad they're gonna replace it with a more interesting ride.

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#10 RCD4

RCD4

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

When I went over last summer I tried to ride every coaster as much as I could, but DT was one I just wouldn't go on again. I would much rather have a new one. Plus, this will probably make the wait on some other rides shorter, I went to Millennium Force first that day and still waited 2 hrs. It should be interesting to see how they plan the layout and this just makes me want to go again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

It may not be the most exciting ride, but it's going to be a shame to see DT go. There is so much to it, and literally nothing left like it. However, if this coaster is awesome it will all be worth it.

Posted Image

#12 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

I will miss disaster transport. I rode the piece of crap on really hot days to coll off. It was air conditioned. The location of the ride will bring more riders to wicked twister. The ride has had low ridershit. I was afraid that they were going to tear the thing down. I just hope this is not speculation.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#13 moose517

moose517

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

i love that wicket twister has lower ridership quite honestly. More time for me on it hehehe. I find it to be quite an enjoyable ride. But yeah its kind of secluded from everything else, having the new ride over there will help it gain popularity again for sure.

#14 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

This is the rumored layout

Posted Image

The Picture is from TPR, which I believe got it from the newspaper article (the one that was printed).

#15 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Sorry, but no. It's at Ocean Kingdom, Zhuhai Guangdong, China.

Posted Image

Source: China's First B&M Wing Rider - Theme Parks - Theme Park Review , News, Videos, Pictures - Nolimits Coaster Downloads

#16 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Apparently the article that ran in the paper claimed the coaster would be $170. And at $25 million I believe that almost $ 10 million more than X Flight.

I think they got that number from Cedar Fair's predicted total off-season expendatures, so likely some of that will be going elsewhere and not all into the new coaster.

^ Glad you're a member of the site. I saw that Screamscape had that rumor and a link to RCDB, but RCDB took that page off before most people saw it.

SSCoasters Staff

#17 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Sorry, but no. It's at Ocean Kingdom, Zhuhai Guangdong, China.

Source: China's First B&M Wing Rider - Theme Parks - Theme Park Review , News, Videos, Pictures - Nolimits Coaster Downloads

ASC is right, but there's more to the story. There's a SECOND green wing coaster. After closely examining the shipping labels, people have noticed that there are two different project numbers, spaced five whole numbers apart. That means that there's a possibility for five B&M coasters next year.

I love the idea of a wingrider but, seeing as how Raptor would occupy the same general area, I hope it isn't the green track. It shouldn't be red either, because the park already has 4 red coasters (if you include Mantis)...A Leviathan like color scheme would look good, I think.

The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of terrain interactivity you get with a parking lot...maybe the infamous 'lake coaster' rumor will finally come true? Of course, that's probably not going to happen but imagine banking the track over the water so the riders could almost touch it.

Also, DT is an eyesore and I wouldn't mind seeing it leave.

EDIT: It's 5 if you include Mantis. Yes, I know Iron Dragon is easy to forget. ;)

Cedar Point has stated that an over the lake coaster will never happen. The City of Sandusky will not allow it. The closest a coaster is going to get to the lake is Millennium Force or Wicked Twister.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#18 moose517

moose517

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

i wonder why sandusky won't allow it, would be amazing and i'm sure many people would love to have a ride that goes out over the lake.

#19 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

I think it is also because it is a natural lake area that can produce some very large waves, as apposed to a regular coaster over a man made pond where large waves aren't a problem to encounter.

Posted Image

#20 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

^ Exactly, but not just the waves. It's a large, natural lake with loose soil and it would take a massive amount of money to drill deeper footings than a normal coaster.

SSCoasters Staff