• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

Posted Image

This is the third annual Summer Heat on SSCoasters. This year is SSCoaster's 10th anniversary edition! This website was first launched in 2002. Now, in 2012 it is time to celebrate!

Like in previous years, there will be three K'NEX contests: a flat ride contest, a family coaster contest, and, of course, the main contest. All of them will be held simultaneously. Their deadline is on August 26th, 2012 (Sunday).

Time to pack up!
This year we want to see flat rides again. There is only one requirement: You must make your ride transportable. We want you to make a flat ride that can be folded into a transportable version. We want you to prove that it can be transported by building one or multiple trucks and showing the transportable version of the flat ride. It is not necessary to fold and transport rides like in the real world, your may fold the ride in the way you like it. There are no other requirements, so you can build the ride as large or as small as you want. Let your creativity go wild!

Airtime Galore!
For the family coaster contest, we have come up with a special challenge. Since it is our 10th anniversary, we want you to create a family roller coaster with 10 moments of airtime. 10, not more, not fewer. And yes, hangtime is also considered airtime. Inversions are allowed, but remember that this ride is to be a family coaster, not a thrill coaster. The footprint has no limits, neither is the height limited. Will you make the perfect family coaster? It is time for airtime galore!

Classics reborn!
The major contest of this year's Summer Heat is a special one. We have a list of 10 K'NEX coasters from previous years. To compete in this contest, you must choose one of the roller coasters in the list. In essence, it is your job to build the layout of the coaster of your choice - in your own style. You can make elements bigger or smaller, or even mirror your whole layout. If you are not sure whether your choices for construction will be approved of, you can ask the staff. This goes for general and personal questions.

Woodie:
Fireball - Coastercrazy10
Thunder Giant - TripleHelix

Looper:
Stunt Flight - Knex-man
Furious - Mikecoastermaniac

Hyper:
Speed o' Fear - Jogumpie
Swara - Maverix

Invert/Flying:
Challenger - Antinos/Rollerdude
Quantum - Coaster55

Launched:
The Fugitive - Fastman XC
Jaguar - Westside7th

The only limitation is the layout you choose. If you build it in your own style and to "today's standards", you will have a higher chance of winning this contest.

Models must currently be in construction or currently unfinished to be entered into any of the three building contests. All contests are K'NEX-only. Classic K'NEX and Micro K'NEX can be used. Non-K'NEX automation methods like the Lego Mindstorms NXT set or a custom Arduino system are not allowed until further notice.

Contest Judging
After the deadline has passed, a poll will be created for each contest. Users will be given 7 days to vote in these polls. When the polls are closed, the staff decides whether to agree with the general opinion of the community, or to choose winners themselves.

Contest Prizes
All winners will be rewarded with Summer Heat tags and eternal fame on SSCoasters. Prizing may be upgraded in the future.

Questions about Summer Heat in general can be asked here. Questions about the contests can be asked in their own threads.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#2 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

Summerheat yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

Eh, not sure if I'll be entering this. For the main contest, I'll need to have quite a lot of space (something I don't have). With the minor contest, I don't think I'll also have space to build a coaster with that much air time, but I'll look into the possibility.

EDIT: Oh, and like last year, you can enter multiple contest, right?

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#4 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

We spent a fair amount of time selecting models for the main contest, looking at size, piece count and if they were considered to be a classic. There are quite a few smaller models in there!

You are allowed to enter more than one contest.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Love the contests this year! Great idea recreating the classics! Gonna be a great year!

#6 BubbleMan 32714

BubbleMan 32714

V Cube Solver

• 717 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Quantum I choose you! This sounds epic!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

I'm very pleased people like the Summer Heat challenges for this year. The main contest was an idea that sprung to mind and was actually considered impossible or stupid. Yet the idea (and timing) behind it puts it in a different perspective making it quite the awesome idea.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

^ My thoughts exactly. I'm glad so many people like this year's challenges.

#9 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

If you re-create one of the classic models do you have to make the same supports or can you make your own?

#10 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

^Only the layout has to be the same.

Posted Image

#11 Goon

Goon

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Whohooo!! I joined at just the right time!! This is going to be amazing! I am excited to see what everyone can come up with.
Good luck all!!!

#12 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

I might enter a model if I can finish my flyer soon. All of these contests sound great, but especially seeing newer takes on older models!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#13 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

This might be the coaster that, even if I ddecide not to enter it into the contest, could be my breakthrough model. The one finished model from me that is actually good. I'm so excited. :D

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#14 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

This might be the coaster that, even if I ddecide not to enter it into the contest, could be my breakthrough model. The one finished model from me that is actually good. I'm so excited. :D

Good luck Maxwell58! :)

#15 somebodythatiusedtoknow

somebodythatiusedtoknow

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

how can i remove this?

life is like a parachute it only works when it opens.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Need to do that here: http://www.sscoaster...mer-heat-14799/ Mr. Longest User Name ever ;)

#17 somebodythatiusedtoknow

somebodythatiusedtoknow

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

oops my fault

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 somebodythatiusedtoknow

somebodythatiusedtoknow

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

how can i remove this?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Need to do that here: http://www.sscoaster...mer-heat-14799/ Mr. Longest User Name ever ;)

#20 somebodythatiusedtoknow

somebodythatiusedtoknow

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

oops my fault

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]