swinging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wassup then18

Wassup then18

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

This isn't for a roller coaster but I'm hoping someone will be able to help with this. I currently have a model of a KMG Afterburner which as most of you know is a high-swinging, spinning type ride. The spinning part of the ride was easily done but I can't seem to find a way to get the swing arm to actually work. at the moment it spins perfect but the swinging must be done manually. I haven't been able to come up with a sucessful system nor have I been able to find motors which can do this. Does anyone have any ideas for this??

#2 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

If you have the motor with the long cord, a simple method would be to attach it to the swinging axle and just switch the motor back and forth.

I, too, have always wondered how to create a swinging mechanism.

#3 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:29 AM

First of all, if you want to get a realistic swing, so it won't go forth and back in just one second, you should bring the whole thing almost in equilibrium. Just make sure the counter weight is almost as heavy as the 'gondola'. In This way you're also not stressing the motors too much and the gondola will stay down.
Secondly you will need something to control your motors in both directions. Quite a lot of people on the forum use an Arduino, it's an open source micro controller. You might consider buying one of these, because you will have some good chances to make it actually work. Then you will simply be able to set some timers and create a good rhythm for the swinging.
Lastly, you will have to make sure that the axle of the big lever (the arm that is holding the gondola) spins somewhat freely from the axle of the motors. You can do this for example by aligning a chain between these two axles together with a set of tension wheels. In this way you're not creating abrupt movements, since you're motors will probably only be able to go forth and back.
I guess this is the best advice I can give you :).

Posted Image

#4 Wassup then18

Wassup then18

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

@The Stig: I've tried attaching a K'nex motor directly to the axle of te swing arm and switch it back an fourth but it just doesn't seem flow well. I think its because the with the swing motion comes a variation of speeds. I may try again though, we'll see. I totally agree, its been one of those things I have yet to find a good system for. Thanks for the advice though!

@maarten12: I think you may be on to something here! The thing with counter weighing it is that it would take some of the realistic aspect of it away but it may come down to I may have to do that. Anyways about the motors I have looked into them before but what I found today might be the solution! I found that you can control the speeds and direction of the motor and pogram them to do so. I'll keep looking at that! Thanks your suggestion was very helpful! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swinging