Hersheypark July 8th, 2012

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Let me start off by saying that quite a lot has changed with Hershey since 2008 when I was last there. Many new things were added (water park, Skyrush, flatrides), and the park seems to be getting better and better as time goes on.

First off, ride count (in order of being rode):
-Fahrenheit 1
-Trailblazer 1
-Stormrunner 1
-Skyrush 1
-Lightning Racer 1
-Comet 1
-SooperDooper Looper 1

Started off the day by just walking around and seeing what really changed in the last four years I've been there. We wandered around and managed to reach Fahrenheit.

The line for Fahrenheit wasn't bad at 11:30 when we reached it, maybe a 10 minute wait to get front row which is worth the wait. The lift was quite interesting, since that was my first eurofighter-type coaster. The G forces at the bottom weren't too intense, and the pretzel roll kind of flew by. After the cobra roll, the 3 corks and air hill went by extremely quick, so quick we were in the brake run no more than 30 seconds later. We sat on the 2nd brake run for about 5 minutes waiting for someone to get in the car, then another 2 minutes on the transfer track before the platform. 8.5/10

Trailblazer reminded me of the old-fashioned mine train coasters with twist and turns, a tunnel, and a helix. A friend and myself rode front row. Probably the "nicest" coaster in the park, and a good way to transition into the more extreme rides coming up. 8/10

Stormrunner, my 2nd time now riding it, was also not as bad as I had remembered it to be back in 2008. We had 2nd row, and only a 6 minute wait, if that. We barely made it over the top hat since there were many lanes for seats closed. Overall, it was quick and quite fun. 8.5/10

We had lunch next (outside the park, since 4 chicken fingers and fries costs $11), rode the ride at chocolate world twice (making scared faces and hiding from the camera) and I finally got to go to the "secret path" from the main entrance, next to skyrush and the stream right to the que of Skyrush. No one used that path nor knew about it, so it provided a nice break from the crouds and a great time for really nice photos.

Skyrush, that long-awaited ride, was not your average ride and shouldn't be joked around as a kiddy ride. All my friends are scared to death of going back on now because of the extreme ejector time on the air hills and the freedom to move around because of the restrain design. I know there has been several problems with the restraints, but we rode the train still with the original restraints and I had no problem. I sat 3rd row, left wing seat and it was an amazing ride. I had no pain either as we sat on the final brake run after our journey, waiting for the next train to dispatch. The ride itself is quite intense; the lift hill itself should be all-too revealing of that. The drop doesn't really seem to be that high up, but provides a strong amount of high G's at the bottom. The first hill is loaded with ejector time and the hope your restrains will hold you in. The trims have no noticeable effect at all. The turns and transitions into the turns were fine, and were just as I imagined; not too bad (regarding G forces), but still enjoyable. The 2nd air hill was just like the first. The Stengel Dive was quite interesting as well; it really just feels natural that you're going to bank that high but with such little G's, it was a bit contradicting. The remaining turns and air hills actually blew my shirt off, so I was fighting to put it down as we made the headchopper to Comet. The reduction brake was a very good idea and the little "dip" you get going from it, over Comet's station, to the final brake run is like the little cherry on top. I can say, easily my favorite ride now, however, not my friends since they had no clue about the extreme forces involved and how easily you can be thrown around. 9/10

After that, we went to the water park and rode a few water rides, then went to Lightning Racer. We rode both Lightning (majorily winning) and Thunder. I prefer Lightning more because it's a bit smoother, but Thunder does have a bit more of an interesting ending than Lightning. Lightning 8/10 Thunder 8.5/10

Comet was OK. Lift hill is scary, seeing it warp to the left and right +6 inches in both directions. Very shaky and somewhat rough ride. 6/10

We also rode the new trains on SooperDooper Looper. They were very nice. The new brakes worked very well and really made the ride more enjoyable. 7.5/10

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 KahluaCoasters

KahluaCoasters

Rut Row!

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

Great review! That got me pumped! I'm going this Sunday and Monday coming up! (if it doesn't rain)

#3 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

That third picture made my day. :) (And it made Jumpge's day :P)

Posted Image