skywasp

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

I'm working on a lay-down coaster because I only saw 2 K'nex lay down coasters so far. Anyway, here are some pictures. I hope they come out!
Here is the crest of the lift (with tubing)
Posted Image

Here is the crest of the lift (without tubing)
Posted Image

Finally, here is an overview of the lift before the tubing was added.
Posted Image

Comment please! ;)
-SCM

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#2 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

OOH! Forgive my ignorance but lay down is just the vekoma version for flying right? Example: Firehaek at King's Dominion or king's island. Cant remember which.

Anyways looks cool! The shaping is great but the motors might be a problem later on.

#3 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

^King's Island. Anyways, I see I'm not the only one who just puts tubing on the crest.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#4 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

^King's Island. Anyways, I see I'm not the only one who just puts tubing on the crest.

You would be right about that. It saves a lot of tubing. ;)

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#5 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

I like it when people build the less common types :)

#6 Haaron05

Haaron05

Thee tower master

• 599 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:14 AM

it looks pretty good :), i like less common types of coasters aswell^ :)

Posted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

(cop)KNEX AUSTRALIA!(cop)

#7 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

Aaah, nice to see an uncommon coaster on this site. I'm really curious about the elements that you're going to use, can't wait!

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#8 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

Already curious, can't wait for the next update! I like that you build such an uncommon type! :)

#9 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

I recommend changing the supports on the crest, so that all track-to-structure connections have a half moon with 2 silver rods attached. This makes it less likely for the track to slide left or right. The supports you have now can lose the desired shape easily, especially under the stress of the train.

#10 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Okay, an update! (thanks for the comments, everyone! Oh, and, DDrman732865, I was concerned about that too, so I added 2 extra supports on it. Now, even my hand can't move it. ;) )

I've made a drop like on Alpengeist. I didn't want to do a normal drop for this. An uncommon coaster deserves an uncommon drop! :D
Enough talk, now for some pictures.

Curve after lift (It's a pretty small curve)
Posted Image

Lie to fly (Still needs work as far as shaping goes)
Posted Image

Here is the drop! It's not fully supported yet.
Posted Image

Here is another awesome picture of the drop.
Posted Image

This is probably my favorite picture so far.
Posted Image

A test video. The drop will be shaky because the force of the train is going outwards, pulling the track and pulling the structure.
Posted Image

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#11 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have to post this! How do I delete a post? Does anyone know how to change the title of a thread?

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#12 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

This looks great for the most part dude! The drop is a bit weird but its also very cool and definitely unique. However, the transition from lie to fly looks very sharp and bumpy not to mention i believe it could use a bit more heart-lining. To make everything much smoother I recommend using middle tubing to shape all of your elements and add the primary track after everything is shaped smoothly and the way you want it.

Looks Great Dude,
-AsM

EDIT: More supports will also make the coaster appear much nicer in addition to saving you speed when it becomes a problem later in the layout.

-To the name of a thread go to the first post, edit it, and go advanced and you can change the name there or i think you can double or triple click on the thread in new posts forum and edit the name there. I think you can delete it in the go advanced section as well

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#13 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thats probably one of the coolest drops that I've seen. I'll be watching this coaster for sure!

Posted Image

#14 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Definitely did not expect a drop like that, one of the coolest ones I've seen.

If you have enough tubing, consider putting it on the middle tabs of the crossties, it makes the track stronger and looks a bit better.

#15 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

It is a very cool drop, but I personally think the radius should get larger toward the bottom of the drop. The g's at the bottom would be pretty high if it's as tight as the top. Also the transistion is pretty bumpy.

#16 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Thats probably one of the coolest drops that I've seen. I'll be watching this coaster for sure!

I'm just going to let these 2 things tell you what I think. Click here and hit 'play'.

It is a very cool drop, but I personally think the radius should get larger toward the bottom of the drop. The g's at the bottom would be pretty high if it's as tight as the top. Also the transistion is pretty bumpy.

I hope the riders can handle it. (6) Just kidding, I'll make it larger.

Can't wait too see how this turns out SCM! :D

Thanks! I might be able to get an update a day! Funny, at the top of the lift there is a blue flexi rod, and I had no idea those existed until now :P.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#17 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

^ Beat me to radius change. Nice, the drop is a bit shakey, and I was not expecting that style drop. I can't wait to see what you have planned next.

*^^*

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#18 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

a couple lateral supports on the drop and fix the heartlining a little and you have an awsome drop!

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#19 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

Can't wait too see how this turns out SCM! :D

#20 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

Well there's something you don't see everyday...

To change the title of the thread, go to the first post and click the edit button at the bottom, click 'go advanced' and change the name. Don't forget to save the changes.

The edit button can be used to delete posts too.

The edit button is probably my favorite button.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skywasp