Death.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you scared of death?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Are you scared of death?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Micronex

Micronex

Another piece for my collection

• 1270 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

This is just a subject I wanted to discuss a little.

Are you scared of dying? What sort of 'afterlife' do you believe will happen?

I'm brought up as a Christian, and I'm scared of dying. The main idea that gets me is going from me being here, typing this sentence, to just nothingness. Although I should strongly believe that when the time comes I will go to Heaven, theories such as being a part of nothingness, and also coming back as someone else sometimes seem more like they will happen. I would like to believe there is 'something' after death, but the thing that I don't get is this; we will spend ~80 years on Earth, then an infinite amount somewhere afterwards. If this is right though, even assuming it's 'nothingness', wouldn't you (in whatever form) eventually notice?

(EDIT: While it's fairly on-topic, do you think that it is in any way related to dreaming (specifically lucid dreams)?

I'm really interested in hearing your opinions, guys.

#2 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'm not scared of death. To me, there is no sense in being scared of the inevitable. That's not to say I'd go hurl myself off a cliff, because I don't want to die, but I'm not scared of the prospect that it will, at some point, come.

As for the afterlife, I think that I won't worry about it too much. There is no definite way to know exactly what it will be like, or if it will be at all. I've considered the fact that time might become completely irrelevant in the afterlife, or that it won't exist at all. Interesting things to think about.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#3 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Im also a Christian and believe that when I die I will got to Heaven for eternity. I am scared of death, but then I that after I die I'll go up to Heaven and dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Where there will be no sickness, no sorrow etc. So there is I guess a good part about death if you believe in Christ. I'm just worried that what if I didn't do enough or something and I can't go to Heaven.

#4 Yognog

Yognog

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

well it dosent matter cause we are all gunna die by the end of this year. *Troll face*

Na but personally im not really part of any true religion cause i really have not made up my mind about what will happen after i die or who created us and what ever. I just take every day one at a time because you really have no idea when its your time to go. So when the "after life" comes around i guess i will find out. So i guess you could say im not afraid of death but like RCF said im not looking for it.

#5 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

It doesn't bother me, I am kinda like RCF919, I just know it's inevitable.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#6 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

I'm not scared of death. Eventually, we're gonna die at some point, like RCF919 said.

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#7 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm just worried that what if I didn't do enough or something and I can't go to Heaven.

Don't worry about that. Everybody makes mistakes. That is why Jesus died on the cross for us.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#8 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

I find that it's best to just shut the thought of it out of your mind. Thinking about death, existence, or anything really deep eventually ends up screwing with your head.

• Connector1o1 likes this

#9 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

I'm just worried that what if I didn't do enough or something and I can't go to Heaven.

That's the beauty of Jesus! We are not saved by works. WE are saved by grace through Jesus' death.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves. It is a gift of God." Ephesians 2:8

There's nothing WE can do to be right with God. We don't get to heaven because of what we do. We get to heaven because of what JESUS did on the cross. He took all our punishment on himself.

That's why Jesus is the pinnacle of biblical faith. He is the reason we can be right with God! Trust in God and Jesus' sacrifice.

Personally, I'm not afraid of death at all. After death. I get to be reunited with our creator! And I can thank for all he's done! I can't wait! :)

#10 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

What if... none of us really exist in the first place?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot

#11 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

^That makes you think.
What if this is all just a dream, and the dreamworld is the real world? What if what we see as death is truly life? What if, when we die, our subconscious still lives on, but in a way it cannot be detected by modern machines?
I'm kind of scared to die, and when I do die I want it to be painless, like during my sleep.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#12 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

That's the beauty of Jesus! We are not saved by works. WE are saved by grace through Jesus' death.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves. It is a gift of God." Ephesians 2:8

There's nothing WE can do to be right with God. We don't get to heaven because of what we do. We get to heaven because of what JESUS did on the cross. He took all our punishment on himself.

That's why Jesus is the pinnacle of biblical faith. He is the reason we can be right with God! Trust in God and Jesus' sacrifice.

Personally, I'm not afraid of death at all. After death. I get to be reunited with our creator! And I can thank for all he's done! I can't wait! :)

#13 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

What if... none of us really exist in the first place?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot

#14 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

^That makes you think.
What if this is all just a dream, and the dreamworld is the real world? What if what we see as death is truly life? What if, when we die, our subconscious still lives on, but in a way it cannot be detected by modern machines?
I'm kind of scared to die, and when I do die I want it to be painless, like during my sleep.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#15 The KNex Weasel

The KNex Weasel

SSC's Jazz Pianist

• 2477 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:37 AM

Everyone alive today is going to die eventually. You might as well accept it and enjoy living while you're alive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Credit to Spitfire.

Most recent success:
SL1M: You Don't Mess Around With It.

#16 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

Most of the things I like to do in live are sins in some way. I can't live without sinning. Neither can I be dead without sinning. So by all means, I would not even want to go to heaven. And the fact that even when you are sinning you could go to heaven because Jesus died for us... That means that God doesn't accept me for who I am. I'd rather have the devil, who accepts everyone.

I heard someone say something that sounded like reincarnation. I hate that theory. First because I think a soul is nothing. We are just bits and pieces of carbon, H2O etc., and that's all there is to us. If we die, every function stops, and so does the function that we call a soul. Another thing that I find ridiculous, is that some think that we are all reincarnated souls, while there have never been so many people alive as there are now. Where do all these souls come from then?

About the dream thing: Well, that's just complete nonsense. The "dreamworld" is so much less logic that the real world. It changes every time, its changes depend on what happened in the real world FIRST... There is no way in which the dreamworld is reality and the real world is just thought up by our brains.

I don't think we are going any where when we die. The whole heaven/hell/reincarnation things are just fairy tales that got outta hand. When I die, all that is left of me is meat and memories.

#17 hi452

hi452

That's all folks!

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

Everyone dies eventually, if you stop and think about it you are just wasting the little time you have left here on Earth. If you don't think about it, you can't be scared of it. As for what happens afterwards, who cares? We can't do anything about it, whatever does happen.

Posted Image
The sun always shines, somewhere.

#18 fantom

fantom

Screaming!

• 1745 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:40 AM

That's not to say I'd go hurl myself off a cliff

It's fun as hell.

Xbox GT: xxwarlordxx11
Posted Image

Posted Image

PM ME PLEASE IF YOU PLAN ON ADDING MY GAMERTAG!

#19 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

I always wondered about life, I'm more hung up over what's out there, rather than what's happening after I die.. I obsess over what's past the stars and what could be out there to discover.
to answer your question, I'm worried about death, as it wont be pleasant (in the most extreme way!) - but there's no way to change it, so why fuss over it?

#20 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

I'm not so scared about death but as to what is after death. I believe I share the opinion that thinking about it does make your head hurt. I just feel that when you are alive, you have a concept of time, of space and of pretty much everything but when you're gone, you won't be able to feel time because you can't think (obviously because your brain has stopped), but you won't feel any discomfort because you can't feel anything. This is why I'm undecided on the afterlife and religion because, despite what I said above, I feel you can't just stop or lose all consciousness. Otherwise eternity would fly-by like nothing ever happened. That to me is the scary part.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum