cg55 coaster secret winter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

It doesn't say/show much, but it looks very very interesting! It seems K'NEX is taking electronics to the next level as some people on our site have!

What are your opinions on this set? I think K'NEX is making a great move with it.

Posted Image

K'NEX | Educators | K'NEX Computer Control

Post your opinions! Also, please don't nag about the price, this is not a cheap thing to make I would assume.

-KR11

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#2 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

I think it is a cool idea, but I imagin that the controlled motors are not too strong. The next step is for them to make the set with the electric motors.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#3 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Edit:^I agree that they're probably not that strong.

I think it's great. There will probably be a bunch of people that build like rides and stuff that'll want this, and to be honest, I saw this on facebook early today and was wondering when they came out with it. I don't really agree with the price, but what I wonder is if it's made in the USA.

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#4 hi452

hi452

That's all folks!

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Looks pretty cool to me. Seems like Knex's version of NXT, which having this could make things a lot easier not having to worry about the hassle of electronics, which I suck at...

I have also seen a similar project made by a different company, some might have heard the name of fischertechnik, and their board looks more like this,
Posted Image
And just that board alone is 300 us dollars. So I don't believe that K'nex is that far out of the price range with this set.

Anyways I think it's a brilliant move on thier part.

Posted Image
The sun always shines, somewhere.

#5 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

I am liking this concept a lot. I am curious what the limitations of the boards will be. (can they big set up to power a 12v motor).

It would be really awesome to be able to say, everything in K-land, minus the lights, is made out of K'nex, and yes that includes the automation of the rides!

I say good job K'nex.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

This would make automation a breeze. K'NEX has been coming out with some great sets lately. Keep it up K'NEX!

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#7 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Very expensive kit... That said, it's the from the Education line of products, not too crazy that it's so expensive as there are a lot of rights bound to it, and entire lessons for students.

The options seem quite limited with a single board, I'm not sure this is suitable for full coaster automation... yet...

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

I could have sworn they had something like this before. My school had something involving K'nex and computers, though it might have been through a third party...

Posted Image

#9 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Knex company has really came out with some good stuff lately. Programming is a huge step to create a stronger link between knex and real world engineering, which is what I am going into hopefully. This is a set from knex that I want. Another set that knex has come out with that I actually want is a 4-wheel steering car. Knex has shown quite a bit of innovation lately.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#10 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

I want it but the price is a little much. :)

Posted Image

#11 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

Nice, I like it. Of course its customizability is very small compared to what can be made with Arduino (or other microcontrollers) and electronic components, so I would not made the step towards this set. It is a great addition to their catalogue, though.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#12 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Well theres arduino like gump said and you could just use a train transformer to power it but you might burn out the motor with it faster

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#13 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

It's probably a good move for the company if they can get into the educational systems, most of which now have some robotics curicula.

My daughter's school has robotics starting in 7th grade. They use NXT and I am sure Lego makes a good amount of money of programs like theirs.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!