CA's NL dev topic

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

Something I've been working on for the past couple of days since I've got NL again.
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's 150ft tall and has 8 inversions. One thing I haven't missed from NL is doing the supports T.T

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Supports are always long and for me frustrating to complete. This looks interesting though. Any more pictures or are you saving them for later?

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 Zem

Zem

Zemmiphobiac

• 483 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Those supports going over the top of the corkscrew seem to stick out a bit too far.

#4 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

I love how there's more and more NLers coming out of the woodwork.

Your ride looks promising. The supports seem a bit thin, but the corkscrew looks good.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#5 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hey Ellis!
One thing you should consider is the horizontal beams on the top of the supports try putting a larger section of tube nearer the vertical support .. i cant put a picture up now, I'm on my phone.. take a look at Operation: aearth and see if you can see what I mean..
trackwork looks fantastic though!

#6 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hey Ellis!
One thing you should consider is the horizontal beams on the top of the supports try putting a larger section of tube nearer the vertical support .. i cant put a picture up now, I'm on my phone.. take a look at Operation: aearth and see if you can see what I mean..
trackwork looks fantastic though!

Are you on about the little beams that stick out? And that's brilliant that you remember my name after like 2 years of being absent from the site. Anyway new pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The reason that support is like that is for clearance issues, though I might but a diagonal support between the verticle and horizontal beams.
Posted Image
Too tight or not?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#7 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

I don't think the loop is too tight. Looking at the sharpest point and where the riders' heads would be there appears to be plenty of space. I would agree that it would probably be good to add the diagonal support above the corkscrew though. Otherwise it does look a bit flimsy. The rest of the supports look pretty substantial.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#8 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

the NLtrack file is in this thread http://www.sscoaster...500/index2.html
on the last page, look at some of the supports near the track-end.
something about that chunky bit looks attractive to me :)

#9 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Do you mean things like this:
Posted Image
And onto the part I was dreading :/
Posted Image
Cheers for all the replies so far :)

EDIT: I have just gotten rid of one of the two tall supports closest to the picture and moved the other one more central

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#10 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

I mean like this :P

Something about the thin tube being the entire horizontal length just looks a little skew-wiff

#11 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Having it go from smaller to large like that looks skew whiff too though :/

Rest of the layout
Posted Image
Cobra roll
Posted Image
First drop
Posted Image

Will probably finish supporting tomorrow, then some small terraforming (making a lake) and tree plantation and perhaps putting some rocks in and it'll be done :)

EDIT: Supports are done :)
Posted Image
Fun.....
Posted Image But it's all done and Flanged :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#12 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

It's finished and I represent to you Cataclysm:
Posted Image

Dl link:Cataclysm.nltrack

Feed back is much appreciated :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#13 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Looks very nice. Can't download it just now because I'm not on a computer but the layout looks interesting. I'll edit this post when I download the track tomorrow. Well, I'll try and remember to.

Tyndrum

#14 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

I feel like that name is really overused, but it doesn't look bad. I may check it out later when I have the time.

#15 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

The layout, colors, and scenery were awesome. I wasn't a fan of the use of AHG though. Yeah, it made the ride smooth, but that large corkscrew was still pretty pumpy and some of the transitions were a bit wonky. By no means was the ride bad - it's actually one of the better rides one can download from the internet. It just needs a bit of refinement to make it mint.

7/10

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#16 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

Cool !

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta
Coaster Count: 77

#17 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Cheers for all the comments guys :)

A teaser of my next ride:
Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#18 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

I've tried for ages to make a zero-g roll like that. Did you use Newton or was it freehand?

Tyndrum

#19 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

I've tried for ages to make a zero-g roll like that. Did you use Newton or was it freehand?

Newton but I can do them free hand, want me to make you one?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#20 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Newton but I can do them free hand, want me to make you one?

Thanks for the offer but I generally prefer to try new things myself because I won't get any better by using other people's stuff. But thanks anyway. I got close to making one once but I think I tried to over-complicate things by adding a corner which ruined it when I should have just left it simple and straightforward. I have Newton so I'll probably have a go sometime soon. Might start my own thread too.

Tyndrum