CA's NL dev topic

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the offer but I generally prefer to try new things myself because I won't get any better by using other people's stuff. But thanks anyway. I got close to making one once but I think I tried to over-complicate things by adding a corner which ruined it when I should have just left it simple and straightforward. I have Newton so I'll probably have a go sometime soon. Might start my own thread.

Just make an air time hill (slightly flatter than usual if you're building an invert, more pointy if sit down) with 3 nodes (A node that shapes the pull in and the steepness of the beginning of the roll, a node to shape the other half of the crest of the hill and to denote the steepness going down and then a node to level it out and make the pull out) split the middle segment of the element (the crest) rotate 180* lock handles and get the heart line the best you can, then split either side to get the 90* banked parts and improve the heart line (all these have cont. roll on) then split the pull in and pull out's until you have a node about 2/3m away from the node that's directly before the roll and than again for just after the last node (basically the first nodes either side of the roll at 0*) then delete the node just past/before that node so that the beginning of the transition takes longer to turn (I found this helped smooth it out) then highlight it all and cntrl+G and you should be good to go.

Here's a couple of my old sit-down rolls that I handbuilt before I quit:
Posted Image
Posted Image
And my Shmexy Cobra roll for good measure
Posted Image

The first one I completed but I don't think I uploaded the coaster and the second I gave up (was finding it hard to find some flow after the MCBR I had)

I will be returning to handbuilding rides soon, but since it's been 2years+ since I last made anything, safe to say I'm rusty :P and would rather play with Newton as it's so easy <3

EDIT: found some inverted o-g-rolls in my Photobucket
Posted Image
Posted Image

From 2008, so one of my first ever rides :D so not the best but :/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#22 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the tips. I know where I was going wrong now. I started off with a node in the middle instead of splitting the middle segment to get the node. Safe to say it wasn't very smooth or usable.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#23 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the tips. I know where I was going wrong now. I started off with a node in the middle instead of splitting the middle segment to get the node. Safe to say it wasn't very smooth or usable.

Well you can do it like that and then split it so that you get three (split it once for the middle and again for both sides to keep the roll at the top). But the way I just said is just how I learned.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#24 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

Your inverted 0-g rolls seem a wee bit too flat, in my opinion. I like to build mine more parabolic though. From what I can see with the rest of the layout, it looks pretty exciting.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#25 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

I also prefer a parabolic roll, but your flat ones are still shaped nicely.

It's really good to see you get back into this, I assume this is due to the free time Uni gives you? :P

#26 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

Your inverted 0-g rolls seem a wee bit too flat, in my opinion. I like to build mine more parabolic though. From what I can see with the rest of the layout, it looks pretty exciting.

I also prefer a parabolic roll, but your flat ones are still shaped nicely.

It's really good to see you get back into this, I assume this is due to the free time Uni gives you? :P

Sorry if I've confused you but the last two photo's are old photo's (4 year old) and aren't to do with my current ride. Unless you mean you think it looks flat from the photo inline with the roll :/ And yeah and no, I'm not a Uni yet, but with all the free time I will have I thought it'd be a good idea to get back into a couple of my favourite games from yesteryear on my new computer that are good for filling dead half hours that are bound to turn up. More pics to come later :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#27 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Don't know if I like the colours :/
Posted Image
See it's not flat!
Posted Image
Much more happy with this loop than the one on my sit down
Posted Image

Gonna be playing around with 3ds for this ride, including a 10m platform.....Should be fun....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#28 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Looks nice. The colours aren't too bad. Probably the same blue as on the spine for the supports would look quite good or perhaps a slightly greyer blue. Looks smooth to me. I get the zero-g roll thing because the cars, even though the track doesn't, will follow an almost parabolic shape. I knew that already but I wasn't quite sure how to go about building it.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#29 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

I think the colours look to perfect.
In the real world, that kind of blue and yellow are difficult to make.

Make them a little darker/gloomier and the colour combo will work :)