Antinos' Dev Thread

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

I figured since NL has recently spiked in popularity, I'd make my own Dev topic. I'm currently working on an invert called Madness, featuring six inversions. I'm nearly completed with the supports, but college has been keeping the progress slow. I should finish in the next week or so. Here are some screenshots of what I have so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

Looks pretty sweet. Is that a boomerang I see in the background? Seems a few people are doing inverts right now... which is annoying because I've come up with a good idea for one.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

Looking slick Rollerdude ;) Like the batwing and the colours.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#4 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

CW5X: That is a batwing you see. And do the invert anyway. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Thanks for the comments. I'm getting a bit closer to finishing.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan

#5 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

I finally got around to finishing this after a week of college being crazy. I'll release the download and video tomorrow, but here's a sneak peak:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

That seems like it turned out pretty good! I'll download it when I can :)

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#7 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

That looks pretty nice! :) I just don't like all the pre-fab supports, it would be better when you make custom ones. Takes a lot of time, though.

#8 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

CW5X: That is a batwing you see. And do the invert anyway. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Hmm. I've always called that element a boomerang but I stand corrected. Anyway, if you're going to change anything about the pre-fab supports, don't change them all. Sometimes the pre-fabs are the best and easiest ones to use. I only start to fiddle about with them in more complicated areas where the track crosses or where there are weird elements.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#9 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

That looks pretty nice! :) I just don't like all the pre-fab supports, it would be better when you make custom ones. Takes a lot of time, though.

Hmm. I've always called that element a boomerang but I stand corrected. Anyway, if you're going to change anything about the pre-fab supports, don't change them all. Sometimes the pre-fabs are the best and easiest ones to use. I only start to fiddle about with them in more complicated areas where the track crosses or where there are weird elements.

There are zero pre-fab supports on this ride or any of the rides I've done in the past two or so years. All of my rides are 100% hand built, including track, supports, and landscape.

Posted Image

Download:
Madness.nltrack

Enjoy!

Posted Image

#10 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

That was a very nice coaster, and you really do a great job on getting a smooth coaster, I was really amazed by how smooth it was :)

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#11 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Wow, great coaster! I like it, along with all your creations!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#12 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Oh well. Some of them just look like pre-fabs. Either way nice job on getting that coaster so smooth. I certainly couldn't manage that. I always have g-pumps and other problems. I think I would need Newton to get something this smooth.

Tyndrum

#13 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Thank you very much for the comments. The ride is so smooth due to a technique called iSmooth. First, start by making all your segments nearly equal (+/- 5ft) in length. Highlight segments of your ride, one at a time, in certain parts of your ride and click i. After straightening out a dozen or so, highlight every manipulated segment and click ctrl+g. Straightening each segment makes each control handle the correct length and the smooth command's function is obvious. Your tracks will then be relatively pump and jerk free.

Posted Image

#14 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. I never thought straightening the track and then smoothening it out again would help to make it smoother. Does that help for the random bumps in the track when you use continuous roll or is that just trial and error?

Tyndrum

#15 Zem

Zem

Zemmiphobiac

• 483 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

^^Wow I've never thought of doing that. Can't wait to try it on some of my coasters!

#16 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I never thought straightening the track and then smoothening it out again would help to make it smoother. Does that help for the random bumps in the track when you use continuous roll or is that just trial and error?

It sounds like your issue is actually to do with the banking itself. Your banking starts out slow and then speeds up, creating a pump (or vice versa) instead of being one fluid motion?

Posted Image

#17 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

Well. Sort of. I try to get everything as smooth as possible but even when I've gone through every possible degree of banking to try and get rid of the pump, it's still there. It could just be to do with the lengths of the track being different becuase that could muck up the rate of banking if I get an angle slightly wrong for the length.

Tyndrum

#18 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Now that my semester is over, I finally have time to get back into NL! [And there was much rejoicing!] Here's an idea I've had in my head since the beginning of October, and it's turning out just like I wanted so far:

Posted Image

By the end of the holidays, you'll be able to ride the sky on Aurora.

Posted Image

#19 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I must say that this coaster is looking HUGE so far! Curious about the result man :)

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#20 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

It's very much Leviathan inspired and so far, it's been proving a pain in the ass to keep the forces in check. I've pressed on though and this is what I have now:

Posted Image

Posted Image