Winter 2013 Ball Tower

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 02221994

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

Ok guys, we are starting a new ball tower among other small projects. Ideas for elements, lift types, etc would be helpful, and if you want me to include elements from the previous ball tower i posted on here let me know.

Heres a list of Elements/lifts that we are going to try to incoroporate:
Ferris wheel
Ferris lift
Peg Board
Trampoline Field
Pinball Machine
"infinite loop" basically as many loops in a row as i can get
Vertical loop. (not sure the technical name for it)
Spiral Bowl
Corkscrew
Ball thrower (if i need it or y'all want it)

#2 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

would be a very nice balltower

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Inversion count: 110
http://www.coastercounter.com/witting

#3 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Try for a ball cobra roll or something cool like that. If you can fit all that in, this will be awesome.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#4 02221994

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

After 2 days of building, i finally got all of the structure up. Now time to start on the paths.

#5 02221994

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Initial stage of the cobra roll. its proving to be as difficult as i thought it will, so it will take several days to properly hash out and get the bugs out, but for now it's looking like its possible.

Posted Image

#6 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

It would be really cool if you get that Cobra roll to work, I've never seen it before on a ball machine :).

Posted Image

#7 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

^Indeed, that would be a new element then! Looks very good, I love ballmachines :)

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#8 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hmm, no offence, but I'm not too sure this will work. Corkscrews alone are very hard to finetune and are not too reliable. Putting 2 and half loops is just asking for trouble. Not to discourage you though, keep at it and you may get it to work!

Btw, supports look strong. The "x' design makes a structure very resistant to tension as well as compression.

One thing that I have learned, is that if you make the paths with trusses, the ball will travle on it much better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#9 02221994

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

It would be really cool if you get that Cobra roll to work, I've never seen it before on a ball machine :).

Thanks, and i agree it would be rather cool.

^Indeed, that would be a new element then! Looks very good, I love ballmachines :)

-=Tk=-

Thanks

Hmm, no offence, but I'm not too sure this will work. Corkscrews alone are very hard to finetune and are not too reliable. Putting 2 and half loops is just asking for trouble. Not to discourage you though, keep at it and you may get it to work!

Btw, supports look strong. The "x' design makes a structure very resistant to tension as well as compression.

One thing that I have learned, is that if you make the paths with trusses, the ball will travle on it much better.

Firstly thanks. second, its going to be one of those paths that im going to tinker with for a little bit each day until i get it to work.

third on the trusses, ive found that if you keep the path stable and relatively anchored it will travel well. While the structure holding up the roll looks flimsy now, it still holds it in place enough for me to test, and once i have it all worked out, then i will go in and beef up the supports.

fourth - structure, thanks, im kind of a structure nut so all of my structure is as strong as it needs to be if not more.

Ok so im planning on well over 30 paths on this ball tower, and my progress is going to be rather slow at first until i can figure out which paths i want where, and if they will work in the space i have available. There are probably going to be alot of lift types, since most of this ball tower will have to be overhead.
It is going to be difficult coming up with ideas so any that you have are greatly appreciated, for paths or lift types.

#10 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

I cobra roll in a ball machine? O.o
aweosme idea :D
And that rubiks cube needs to be solved :P

logo_v1_small.png 36691.png

#11 02221994

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

We finally got the cobra roll to work! video will be up and posted in here some time tomorrow, and as for the rubik's cube...it cant be solved its an alarm clock.

#12 02221994

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

IT WORKS!!!! It looks a bit funky, and ill be working on that but now we know its possible! Here are some pics followed up by the video.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

OK if you watched the video you most likely noticed the shaking of the track, so i think you guys can help here, every time ive put on more stabilizing supports it messes it up and goes from a 75% success rate to none flat. Any ideas on how to fix that? This is a relative prototype, so it will be changed, but id like some imput on it or ways to improve it. one i already know of is im going to have to change the runup because the ball spinsout alot on it.
I will post some progress pictures tomorrow.

#13 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

A cobra roll for a ball machine element?!
This is looking great so far! A tip to keep the cobra roll from shaking, you should try adding some box supports. Always works like a charm! ;)

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#14 02221994

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

A cobra roll for a ball machine element?!
This is looking great so far! A tip to keep the cobra roll from shaking, you should try adding some box supports. Always works like a charm! ;)

Yes a cobra roll. I too thought it was ridiculous till we had an epiphany about it yesterday. Which led to me finishing it up today, But Thanks for the support tip. i will note that down for later when im finishing up the ball tower and putting the final elements in over and on my work space.

#15 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I have no idea about the shaking problem and all, but I know that, that is a nifty looking cobra roll. Very different :)

Posted Image

#16 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I never thought that would be possible. Great job making it work. It sounds logical that the ball flips out faster when there are more supports. So I don't think there is an easy way to fix the shaking. Just try and test a bit, maybe you will find something.

Posted Image

#17 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Where does the balls fall off? I have a solution if they fall off in a certain area.

On a side note, it looks cool and very innovative!

#18 02221994

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I have no idea about the shaking problem and all, but I know that, that is a nifty looking cobra roll. Very different :)

Thanks!

I never thought that would be possible. Great job making it work. It sounds logical that the ball flips out faster when there are more supports. So I don't think there is an easy way to fix the shaking. Just try and test a bit, maybe you will find something.

Thanks!

Where does the balls fall off? I have a solution if they fall off in a certain area.

On a side note, it looks cool and very innovative!

Thanks!, im not sure what your solution is, but what i've noticed about them falling off is about their speed, since they tend to spin out they lose speed as its going into the bank, so it flips out as its turning into it, or it comes off toward the end, but i seem to have fixed the end one, other than that i haven't done much testing on it as a majority of the ball tower has to be finished for me to finish that path.

pictures of progress will be up later.

#19 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Sorry, I don't have a idea for the shaking problem, but the cobra roll is looking awesome! :D Great work!

logo_v1_small.png 36691.png

#20 02221994

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Sorry, I don't have a idea for the shaking problem, but the cobra roll is looking awesome! :D Great work!

It's all good, i fixed most of it when i supported the first part of the cobra roll more so now the first 1/3 of it barely moves, and it gets it most of the time, so i think when i support the rest like the 1st, it will be fixed and rocket through the cobra roll, thanks for the effort though!