• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dahrich

Dahrich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

HI:
I have a DIY project in which I want to use KNEX Standard chain.
Can anyone tell me what is the part number or source is to find the appropriate sprocket/gear to drive this chain?
Thanks in advance.

Richard

#2 hi452

hi452

That's all folks!

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Get two of these gears and put them together on the same rod. The little black prongs on the outside of the chain fit perfectly in between the teeth of the gear.

Posted Image

So they end up looking like this, (Ignore the bad wiring of the motor. Some people should learn to solder....)
Posted Image

Posted Image
The sun always shines, somewhere.

#3 Dahrich

Dahrich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hi:
Thanks a bunch. I was expecting to use a regular chain sprocket but couldn't find any KNEX part that was like that.
Let me ask another question. Since the chain is driven by the "teeth" inside the gear what do the teeth on the perimeter of the gear drive?
Richard

#4 Dahrich

Dahrich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Hi:
I'm confused. I didn't understand your first explanation but now I do. However, looking at some of KNEX kit photos it seems the change is driver by a black "sprocket." Is the "black" sprocket for the mini chains?

Richard

#5 hi452

hi452

That's all folks!

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

If you are talking about this gear
Posted Image
You are talking about mini chain not standard.

Posted Image
The sun always shines, somewhere.

#6 Rob2

Rob2

• 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yea if your talking about the mini chains the sprocket above will be the one you want. As for the other chain the red gears you are looking at is the original way to run the chain the outer teeth on the gear is what pulls the chain.