great adventure lambchopz sfga six flags trip report

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

I went to SFGA recently for a day trip. It turned out to be an interesting experience. We arrived at the entrance of the park around 10am and slowly crawled our way to the parking lot. We got to a spot and got through (TSA's) security to get into the park right before noon. From the looks of the park (and a future conversation with a frequent SFGA-goer in queue for Nitro), it was probably one of the most-packed days in the park this season.

Posted Image

We headed first to Batman The Ride, where we waited about 20 minutes upon my younger brother's request for front row. The ride itself was interesting as it was compact, but still managed to give you the fun of a larger B&M creation. It was definitely a great start to the day. (This picture is from our wait for Nitro, as I forgot to get a photo of it when we rode it)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next, we wanted to ride Nitro, but with the queue overflowing out into the main walkway, we went around to Superman Ultimate Flight and Green Lantern. Sadly, we found that both rides had overflowing queues as well. We decided to try Dark Knight, the indoor ride. It wasn't that impressive of a ride because it was just a wild mouse with an alternate ending and theming. It was a good way to get away from the crowds though.

Posted Image

Next, we headed over to Skull Mountain and waited for about 10 minutes. Minus the screaming girls that surrounded my sister and I, we managed to enjoy the barely-seen headchoppers and the slight-theming. Aside from the strobe lights shining in your face for a minute in the brake run, it wasn't a bad ride.

Posted Image

We then had an extremely overpriced lunch ($14 for 5 chicken fingers and a handful of fries), and made our way over to Kingda Ka. The queue lines were quite full, but the way they paced the ride made it seem like it was taking longer than we thought. There was originally a 2 hour wait, but we may have waited an hour an a half at most. There was a staff member holding up the line so the station wouldn't be filled all the way up. They let about 30 people go up to the station at a time. I explained to my brother the very small possibility of a rollback and he looked and hoped for them to occur at every launch. Some came very close (the train looked to freeze at the top of the hill for a second), but none did while we were waiting. Three trains were running but only on one platform. My younger brother wanted to go front row again, so we waited probably an hour and 45 minutes. I wasn't crazy about the idea of riding it at first, but it turned out more fun than I thought. The launch was like no other launch I've been on before. The view from the top was pretty cool and the airtime on the hill wasn't really strong, but there was some air time at least.

Posted Image

My family and I then made our way over to El Toro, but the ride was closed down for some reason. I have an AP Physics trip to SFGA in May 2014, so I plan to ride it then.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We walked over to Bizarro, hoping to fit in the ride while we're on that side of the park, but the line was way too long. Like Nitro earlier in the day, it was overflowing out of the queue quite a lot. I've put that on my list of rides to ride when I come back on my AP Physics trip in May.

Posted Image

We then went over to Green Lantern and Superman to check on the wait times and saw that Superman's wait time was down to an hour-or-so wait. This time, my dad, brother, sister, and I waited for a little over an hour. Seeing that it would be one of the last rides of the day, we waited the extra few minutes for front row: it was definitely worth it. I have never been on a flying coaster before and it was definitely an interesting experience. The forces you experience are different than the ones typically felt on coasters you ride normally. Although it is quite short, it was one of my favorites.

Posted Image

Me, my sister, dad, and brother on Superman:
Posted Image

Finally, to end the night, we made our way to Nitro's queue. It wasn't as long as it was earlier in the day, but it was still an hour's wait. Overall, a great ride for front row (minus the splattering of bugs on our face, shirts, and arms). It was a lot better than what I expected and I can see why the lines were so long all day.

Posted Image

My ratings for rides:

Batman - 8.5/10
Dark Knight - 5/10
Skull Mountain - 6/10
Kingda Ka - 7/10
Superman Ultimate Flight - 8.5/10
Nitro - 8/10

The park itself isn't as great as other parks like Hersheypark and other individually-owned parks, but the extremely high prices for everything made it difficult for my parents to say we'll be back sometime soon.
And a tip for anyone going to the park: Get to the park a little early, know what ride you want to ride the most and go straight to it when you get in.

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 17 August 2013 - 06:57 PM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hmm, the skyline from so many US parks seem to be lacking so much foliage :(

Still love the look of Nitro's pre lift :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

It's a shame El Toro was closed, but it's nice that you got to ride almost everything front row.

Overall, a great ride for front row (minus the splattering of bugs on our face, shirts, and arms).

Sounds like Millennium Force. (lol)

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#4 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

So many good coasters there. Sad to hear that El Toro was closed, but fortunately there were enough other coasters you could ride. The marks indicate that you had a good time there.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: great adventure, lambchopz, sfga, six flags, trip report